Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

AlekseyK

Re: Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” KDE released!

Post by AlekseyK »

If I have Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” MATE edition, and want to try KDE release, should I install it over current version, or I may try something like

Code: Select all

apt get install kde
to try KDE? Should I switch between MDM/KDM? And how to make all of this correctly to have 2 desktops and have ability to switch between them?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

AlekseyK wrote:If I have Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” MATE edition, and want to try KDE release, should I install it over current version,
It is not a good idea to install 2 very different desktops to the same Mint installation. You would be better off doing a fresh install of KDE - possibly to a new root partition.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

austin.texas wrote:It is not a good idea to install 2 very different desktops to the same Mint installation.
Why? In many distributions desktops coexist with each other without a problem. Why Mint may have trouble with it? Who knows how to install 2 desktops correctly here?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It is a matter of experience.

Of course you may try, but if things do not work as expected, you are not even able to tell, if this is a matter of the one or other DE or of this mix. At the end you might end in the situation, where none of both work correctly. You have been warned, of course this is no prohibition.

If you want to try it, install VirtualBox and install the KDE edition inside.
bobbym

Post by bobbym »

Oh boy, am downloading it now! Hope it will be easy to just install it over the old 17.3
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 »

I downloaded this yesterday after the announcement and decided to replace my Mint 18 Cinnamon install. This is a great release! It's beautiful!
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
GordB

Post by GordB »

I have not used KDE since the days of Lycoris, I am really liking this, very mature and kind of feels like home again. Nice job. The only negative, is the KDE gear icon to launch app, that should be LM
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Yes. Thank you all for the expertise and in view of the fact that
this is the 10th anniversary of Mint--I will make an extra donation this month to reward the efforts.
Thanks to all involved.
edit special Birthday donation completed.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I followed the advice of many experienced users/developers on this forum and did a clean install of KDE 18. I am very impressed with how easy things went.

(I still have 17.3 backups just in case.)

Congratulations are in order for Clem and his teams! :D Y'all put together another fine addition (as far a I can tell so far) that should carry Mint KDE well into the future.

Thank you and cheers!

Jim
peer

Post by peer »

I installed mint 18 kde beta in virtualbox and on a usb disk. I removed some programs and added some other programs. Mint 18 kde beta worked fine in both virtualbox and usb disk. So I was eager to install mint 18 kde. I downloaded the iso and tried it live in virtualbox. It performed well.

I did a fresh install. Then I noticed that mint 18 freezes frequently. Cairo-dock freezes, Dolphin started automatically with startup. Other programs freezes or needed a very long time to respond.
I did a second fresh install and noticed the same behaviour. Something was wrong. After two hours ofstruggle I decided to turn back to mint kde 17.3. I also had trouble with kubuntu 16 but no trouble with neon.
no trouble with: mint 18 kde beta and neon
trouble with: kubuntu 16 and mint 18 kde
I do not know what is wrong. Probably something with my videocard.

But now I am back on 17.3 and I do have a good working pc again
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 »

For me, it helped to turn off the Kwin script to enforce window decorations for GTK apps (Settings>Window Management>KWin Scripts: Uncheck "Enforces Window Decorations on GTK+ window") and also in the compositor settings (Settings>Display and Monitor>Compositor), a tooltip showed up saying that using OpenGL as a rendering backend could crash the compositor and it recommended XRender instead. After making those two changes, I haven't had any more crashes/freezes on my machine.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
pcxz

Post by pcxz »

I switch from cinnamon to kde version ..very very good, thx.
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

pcxz wrote:I switch from cinnamon to kde version ..very very good, thx.
You've replaced cinnamon version, or installed over, or just installed kde - what?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

mint kde needs to have the root actions installed by default. i installed mint KDE latest and left it unattended to finish. when i came back it had logged OFF with an unrecoverable login screen. shame cause i wanted a backup distro but looks like mint kde is not ready
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” KDE release

Post by a_hippie »

Wow, lots of nasty bugs. No more wall paper or widgets per virtual desktop. Complete show stopper.

I have wasted 5 hours of my life on worthless crap.

Find the latest KDE 4.

I'm very disapointed in this kde release, and the default theme reminds me of visiting a tomb, a very sad tomb.

Seriously, run the live for a few days before even thinking about wasting hours of your life on this mess.

Regards,

j
--
Wishing you well
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

Agree with You. Only one question: whether new KDE applications will work in KDE 4 or other DE?
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

I ended up installing mint 17.3 KDE4. It is supported until 2019.

Good luck

Regards
j
--
Wishing you well
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

I admit, I am being a little lazy here. I am a long time user of Linux in various forms, and converted entirely to Linux quite a few years ago. My desktop PC runs LM18 Sarah Cinnamon. However, I also have an old laptop which I use to test out different distros, just for fun. Currently on there are LM17.3 Cinnamon, LM18 Mate, and Peppermint7. Recently removed are Mageia 5 and another I fail to remember. Mate works fine, but I still prefer Cinnamon, maybe just from familiarity?
I'm considering LM18 KDE, but my previous encounters with KDE have never felt very comfortable. However, I'm going back to the days when Ubuntu had Dapper Drake, and Mandrake was around, so it's a long, long time ago. I do remember that KDE had some killer applications back then, that made it worth trying out, but since then all the other desktops have surely caught up.

There have recently been a few negative comments about LM18 KDE on here. So what are the compelling reasons that I should give it a try?
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
Dr G

Post by Dr G »

momist wrote:There have recently been a few negative comments about LM18 KDE on here. So what are the compelling reasons that I should give it a try?
Compelling reasons for LM18 KDE? Well, I would consider Dolphin a compelling reason, if it's root capabilities were not missing in Mint. :roll: KDE Connect is also showing great promise, but it's just not there yet. I guess what keeps me in KDE are activities, widgets, and stability. With perhaps stability getting the nod as the most compelling reason over Cinnamon. Even in the most current stable (unfinished) Plasma, which one might argue could still be considered a beta, I simply do not crash as often as I do in Cinnamon. Plasma rivals XFCE for stability, but with many, many, more features. Not to mention, plasma is both prettier and more easily customizable than XFCE. But, with appearance at least, Cinnamon rivals Plasma.

Best advice: Try it, but use what works best for you.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”