[Solved] How to re-enable network notification?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nanowire

[Solved] How to re-enable network notification?

Post by nanowire »

I installed Linux Mint 12 for the first time yesterday, and I accidentally clicked "Do not show again" on the pop-up notification that you receive at the bottom in the notification area, when you connect to a wireless network.

Now when I wake my laptop up from sleep, I get a notification that I am "Disconnected, I am now offline". (Screenshot - http://i.imgur.com/aComv.jpg ) That pop-up used to go away when the "connected to wireless network" pop-up notification appeared, but since it doesn't now, the disconnected one stays there, even though I'm connected to a wireless network at this point. The only way to get rid of the disconnected pop-up now is to click on it.

Is there a way to re-enable the notification that I disabled? Is there a whitelist / blacklist file for notifications somewhere that I can edit? I've not had any luck in finding it so far.
Last edited by SMG on Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Locking old topic.
mank_in

Re: How to re-enable network notification?

Post by mank_in »

Do you try network setting? If you don't see an option try use network connection .
nanowire

Post by nanowire »

mank_in wrote:Do you try network setting? If you don't see an option try use network connection .
Yes, I looked through Network Settings, Network Connection, dconf editor and Advanced Settings (for gnome3). None seem to have options for notifications. I also searched google for about an hour trying to find the config file to manually change as when I clicked "do not show again" it has to save that data somewhere but for the life of me I cannot find where it saved this setting to or how to change it back.
nanowire

Post by nanowire »

At this point I'd even go with disabling the "Network Disconnected - you are now offline" notification instead, at least it would be consistent that way, but oddly there is no "do not show again" option for this notification, like there was for the other.
nanowire

Re: How to re-enable network notification? SOLVED

Post by nanowire »

Ok, seems I figured this out on my own.

For anyone else interested, gconf-editor was the key.

Install via "sudo apt-get install gconf-editor", then open up gconf-editor (via terminal or in the menu it is called "Configuration Editor") and navigate to "/apps/nm-applet/". From there you can enable or disable the connected/disconnected notifications.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [Solved] How to re-enable network notification?

Post by darkstrike »

Posting a reply to an old thread, so I apologize, but I've just had the same issue as the OP in Mint 14 XFCE, however, I cannot find the "nm-applet" section in gconf-editor....where must I look in Mint 14 XFCE to re-enable network connection popups?

Thanks!
Gas_Mask_

Post by Gas_Mask_ »

Hey i had the same problem, and this forum didn't help so I made my own. "anandrkris" helped me:

"Did a quick google search and got this from the github site where Cinnamon issues / codebase is maintained.
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2160 As per the link, the solution is

Open Terminal. Paste each of the below command and hit enter. My understanding is second one pertains your requirement,

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.nm-applet disable-connected-notifications false
    gsettings set org.gnome.nm-applet disable-disconnected-notifications false
    gsettings set org.gnome.nm-applet disable-vpn-notifications false
"
koshak83

Post by koshak83 »

Gas_Mask_ wrote:Hey i had the same problem, and this forum didn't help so I made my own. "anandrkris" helped me:

"Did a quick google search and got this from the github site where Cinnamon issues / codebase is maintained.
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2160 As per the link, the solution is

Open Terminal. Paste each of the below command and hit enter. My understanding is second one pertains your requirement,

"
THX!!! This decision helped me return the display of network notifications. :D
pwozniak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pwozniak »

Thanks for your answer Gas_Mask_
It helps me today !
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon
Gas_Mask_

Post by Gas_Mask_ »

koshak83 wrote:
Gas_Mask_ wrote:Hey i had the same problem, and this forum didn't help so I made my own. "anandrkris" helped me:

"
THX!!! This decision helped me return the display of network notifications. :D
pwozniak wrote:Thanks for your answer Gas_Mask_
It helps me today !
Haven't been on in a long time, but I'm glad I helped in my absence
Perette
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Perette »

The `gsettings set` solution worked for me on LinuxMint Cinnamon 18.3.
studersi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by studersi »

For me as well on Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1, thanks.
alexgv99

Post by alexgv99 »

It worked... thank you.
Gas_Mask_ wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:55 pm Hey i had the same problem, and this forum didn't help so I made my own. "anandrkris" helped me:

"
ManWithNoBrows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ManWithNoBrows »

Hi guys. What you guys are really looking for is dconf-editor. (gconf-editor is long dead, and dconf-editor is its replacement.) To install it, run...

sudo apt-get install dconf-editor
Once installed, open "dconf editor" in your menu. Then go to org/gnome/nm-applet and enable/disable connection/disconnection notifications.

Return to “Beginner Questions”