Running Mint from an SD only

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EmeraldMeadows

Running Mint from an SD only

Post by EmeraldMeadows »

I have an Asus N10J and I have install Mint on a 16 gig sd card. When I run the install from the desktop it proposes a repartitioning of my hard drive. I do not want to touch my vista installed drives and I want to run Mint only from the SD. Am I doing something wrong here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: Running Mint from an SD only

Post by AK Dave »

If the hardware accepts the SD card as a bootable drive, you're golden.

Simple:
Select MANUAL partitioning, and change your drive to the SD card. Likely: change sda to sdb.

Anything else depends on the nuances of your hardware. Assuming your BIOS allows you to boot from the SD card in the first place, you could skip grub and use BIOS to toggle between HDD and SD bootup. Or you could install grub on the HDD, pointing it to the SD card where /boot is located, and go from there.
EmeraldMeadows

Re: Running Mint from an SD only

Post by EmeraldMeadows »

Thanks, I can indeed boot directly to the SD card so that part is golden, I just got nervous when I did the install and it went to the partitioning screen. I selected manual but I could not see how I could select the sd card only. And I was too nervous to go to the next step in case it started to destroy the existing Vista install.

Return to “Installation & Boot”