mint 18 and mint 17.3 on 2 different drives, any way to merge?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
NSA_Dontspyoneme
Level 2
Level 2

mint 18 and mint 17.3 on 2 different drives, any way to merge?

Post by NSA_Dontspyoneme »

I have a 1yr old copy of 17.3 with everything the way I like it and all my software, email etc all GTG and on a fast ssd drive.
I am off grid and do not have a fast or plentiful data source to the web.
I loaded mint 18 to a spare hd I had sitting around but its barebones 18 with nothing else.

Is the anyway to move all my stuff to 18 and then clone it back to the ssd overwriting 17.3? I need all software and email and everything else.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: mint 18 and mint 17.3 on 2 different drives, any way to merge?

Post by jimallyn »

Software compiled to work with 17.x mostly won't work on Mint 18. But you can certainly move all your data over to the other drive, put 18 on the SSD, and move all your data back over. But there is no simple way you can "merge" the two of them. I am currently using 17.3, and my plan is to install 18 on the free space on the hard drive, move all my files over from 17, then delete the 17 partition and expand 18 into that space.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Newbie Questions”