[SOLVED] 32bit FF update for 64bit too?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] 32bit FF update for 64bit too?

Post by xdicey »

Considering what Clem said here,viewtopic.php?f=47&t=230440&start=40 should I apply this update? I've a 64bit machine. If I don't need it, how do I get it out of Update Manger then?
Thanks.
This issue is now fixed in firefox 49.0+linuxmint2+rosa. You can upgrade to this version via the Update Manager.

If you are using a mirror, please note that it can take a few hours for this new version to become available.

Note: We received an email earlier this week about random crashes but the sender didn't specify how to reproduce it, or the fact that it only happened in i386 (it's very telling when an issue only affects one architecture) and told us his issue was already fixed in version 49.0.1. This version was for Windows only, so it was dismissed. Your detailed feedback on the other hand immediately put us on the right track. It's a pity this thread only came to our attention today. Many thanks for your patience and for your help in fixing this issue. Issues which only affect Linux Mint and not Ubuntu, or which only affect one architecture are both extremely rare and very easy to fix. If you encounter one of them again in the future, please make sure to contact the development team.

I'm locking this thread for impacted users in order to give its resolution max-visibility.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
JEB

Re: 32bit FF update for 64bit too?

Post by JEB »

Right click the update in Update Manager and click 'ignore'. If at a later date you would like to revisit the update, you will find it under the Ignored tab of Update Manager.

Hope this helps
JEB
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

The issue was with the 32-bit version for LM17.x and it's now been fixed as per Clem's post, so even if you're using 32-bit Firefox on your 64-bit system, it should be OK to update it now.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Following the changelog there is only the change as announcement for the 32 bit version. I assume, that the 64 bit version got that update, to get identical version numbers for both architecture. If they would be different, 64 bit users would ask why their FF is seemingly older than the one on 32 bit. Apply it; the tip of JEB is for now valid, it it bears the risk, that you will miss the next update, when it arrives.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Thanks for your responses guys.

My question has been answered and now I can make a choice knowing whichever I make is ok. :).
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
JEB

Re: [SOLVED] 32bit FF update for 64bit too?

Post by JEB »

As pointed out by Cosmo, you will miss the next update for that particular item. This FF update was applied to both 64 and 32 bit. I had 'ignored' the update for the 32 bit. I also have a 64 bit system which is how I knew that there was a new update. I went to the 32 bit system and had to remove FF from the 'ignore' list to get the new update. Have had no problems. Tested for about 1 hr. However my primary browser is Pale Moon.

Hope this helps
JEB

@ Cosmo, my deepest apologies for the earlier misspelling of your name.
Last edited by JEB on Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] 32bit FF update for 64bit too?

Post by xdicey »

JEB wrote:As pointed out by Cosmos, you will miss the next update for that particular item. This FF update was applied to both 64 and 32 bit. I had 'ignored' the update for the 32 bit. I also have a 64 bit system which is how I knew that there was a new update. I went to the 32 bit system and had to remove FF from the 'ignore' list to get the new update. Have had no problems. Tested for about 1 hr. However my primary browser is Pale Moon.

Hope this helps
JEB
Yes, it does help JEB. I'm using only 64 bit FF on this 64 bit Machine. So I'll just apply the update anyway so all will be well.

Thanks.
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD

Return to “Software & Applications”