Increasing monrefresh rate from 50hz to its 75hz capacity

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mkb

Increasing monrefresh rate from 50hz to its 75hz capacity

Post by mkb »

I'm still in culture shock having abandoned Suse for ideological reasons >;) I have a neuropathic degenerative condition and my eyes aren't what they were and I just noticed that on screen resolution the monitor (an Iiyama Prolite E1900S) is running at 50hz refresh, which looks like its just been marked as a generic one. NO Wonder it is visually bouncing all over the place and giving me severe reading problems. How do I get the monitor to be recognised as a E19000S or a similar monitor that can refresh at something like 72 or 75hz so I don't get this flicker? Nothing in the idiot guide pretty pictures menus so far spotted helped me to find a configure monitor option - where is it... or is there one? Sometimes I really do long for Yast under Suse it was so good at handholding newbies. This is a serious problem despite my jokiness, I can only read for about 3-5 minutes at a time before my eye muscles collapse, not funny for a disabled person falling to bits by painful err bits <:-(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Increasing monrefresh rate from 50hz to its 75hz capacity

Post by Husse »

I really understand you, I have three sons that are severely visually impaired
You did not tell us which graphics card you have
If you have a nvidia (which I almost suspect due to the rate) you can fix it as follows
Edit xorg.conf

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
In Section "Device" add this

Code: Select all

Option      "DynamicTwinView"   "False"
like in this post
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... iew#p92335
You should now be able to use 60 or 75 Hz for a LCD monitor if you have nvidia
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

Try 'Screen Resolution' under 'Preferences'.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Paul_Vandenberg wrote:Try 'Screen Resolution' under 'Preferences'.
:mrgreen:
You are absolutely right, and that's perhaps all there is to it - when I answer I presume that the simple things have been tried already :)
mkb

Post by mkb »

Paul_Vandenberg wrote:Try 'Screen Resolution' under 'Preferences'.
I should have said that I had tried that one (button on menu) and the monitor was only marked as a generic vesa and the only refresh allowed to me was 50hz at 1280x1024. Sorry, incomplete information. Also the video card is a PCI-E FX5200 with 512mb of ram, some variant that was designed for CAD work I got from my nephew when he upgraded to one of the latest 9000 series nvidias for his gaming obsession! So apparently despite being "only" an FX5200 it is a bit special and he reckoned it would be better than the Intel 9 wotsit that is built onboard with this Shuttle XPC box (and I must admit that the image is produces on the screen is definitely a bit sharper, but I'm not doing anything that would show up any speed differences to human perception, the main bottleneck is as always the slow rate of refresh of the web pages down the line (so much for 8mbit, I've not bothered to upgrade from 2m 'cos on balance none of the pages refresh at anything much more than about 500m given contentions etc so that is the "real internet speed" in this rural small town. But we digress from my horribly flickering screen!)
mkb

Post by mkb »

Husse wrote:I really understand you, I have three sons that are severely visually impaired
Really sorry to hear that (as a father myself) much heartfelt "but for the grace of God" good wishes winging their way to you (hopefully)
Yes, that trick did the trick, gave me a 60 or 75 option, and it seems to be running much more stabley (is that a word... stabely??) than before at 50 now that it is up at 75hz.

I think that the fluorescent light flickering and the monitor also at 50hz and not quite in phase were making it all rather unpleasant, like the old slow crt monitors of the early 90s.

Despite their environmental credentials (and we've gone through the house and done pretty well the lot with cfl's) I still don't really like fluorescent lighting :-(
" "False"[/code]
like in this post
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... iew#p92335
You should now be able to use 60 or 75 Hz for a LCD monitor if you have nvidia
Husse

Post by Husse »

Did you try my suggestion? It works beautifully on "normal" nvidia cards, but I don't know for special CAD cards
After you've done that (and restarted X - ctrl+alt+backspace) you get more options

Return to “Beginner Questions”