Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
asdfuioda
Level 1
Level 1

Can't increase virtualdisk size and having trouble accessing terminal

Post by asdfuioda » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:38 pm

I have an error with my virtualbox where it refuses to increase the virtualdisk of my Mint 17.1 installation. Once this hit 0 byte free at some point, Cinnamon got stuck in the perpetual, forever, repeatedly crash mode. Very annoying. If I stay in fallback mode, I cannot open a Terminal using CTRL+ALT+T. I also cannot open one in the menu because apparently no one put a terminal in the fallback menu! I also cannot use CTRL+ALT+F_ because these just open the menu on my host system, which is Mint 18.

Any other ideas?

The only thing I saw that was useful is the ability to run a direct file from a location. This requires that one knows what the path and filename for the terminal is. And what is that?
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: don't necrobump solved topics; split from https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=168170

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Can't increase virtualdisk size and having trouble accessing terminal

Post by xenopeek » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:51 pm

Without knowing what error you have with increasing the virtualdisk image others here can't help with that.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:17 am

To start at the end (the quickest issue to answer): When you want to open a virtual console inside of the VM, you have to press host-key (usually the right ctrl-key) & F1...6.

If a hard drive is completely full (you should have got a warning, which you probably have ignored), no OS can work. In case of VB you can increase the size of the virtual hard disk, provided, that you selected the dynamically allocated sizing option, when you created it (that is the default setting).
You have (with the VM closed) to use the terminal and enter this command:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyhd _hard-drive-name_ --resize _value_
You have to set the proper name for _hard-drive-name_ and the size in MB for _value_. See the manager for virtual drives for the name or use the command VBoxManage list hdds.
See chapter 8.23 in the included help file.

asdfuioda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asdfuioda » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:31 pm

I was able to increase the hard disk size using GParted. For some reason Virtualbox is not automatically expanding the disk size. A common issue/bug with that program that's been there for years. This did not resolve the issue with Cinnamon, however.

I figured out what the issue was there too. When I reached 0 bytes free, I was in the middle of an installation of a package. This installation was interrupted and so the package was neither completely installed or uninstalled. It was half-way installed. Apparently, it was one of the dependencies of Cinnamon which caused the perpetual crashing.

I waited for a long time in fall-back mode and suddenly I was able to see icons on the desktop and thus open a terminal using right click. With this I used:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install -f
which finished the installation of the package in limbo. After restarting Cinnamon no longer crashed.

Return to “Virtualization”