Enabled wifi, lost all networking!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
atridi
Level 1
Level 1

Enabled wifi, lost all networking!

Post by atridi »

Sorry for the long post.

I'm having a problem I hope somebody can help with. I installed default Cinnamon Mint on a Dell laptop and have been using it the last few weeks. A couple of days ago I decided to install drivers for the built-in wifi. I opened the Drivers selection of the Welcome screen and it offered 3 selections in addition to the default - I would tell you what they were, but unfortunately, I can no longer get to that screen.

Anyway, I selected the first one, which I believe said something about drivers that were included with the release. It took it and everything seemed fine. However, after a required restart, I no longer have ANY functional network connectivity. And I can't go back to what I had because the drivers page will not open due to no internet! Running 'ifconfig' only shows an 'lo' entry and 'sudo ifconfig eth0 up' and 'sudo ifconfig wlan0 up' both return 'ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device.'

I don't want to have to do a reinstall and blow away all the personalization I've done (to say nothing of my data). Can somebody please tell me what config file I can edit or what program I can run to restore my default network settings? That would at least let me continue to attempt to enable my wifi without worrying about locking myself out again.

As an aside: To the developers - great looking product and nice, straightforward install. However, shouldn't that revert button on the drivers page work, even if you can't get to the internet?

The following is possible pertinent info from an 'inxi -Fxz' command. Full cut/paste obviously impossible:

System:
Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-lubuntu3.1)
Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:
System: Dell (portable) product: MM061
Mobo: Dell model: 0XD720
Bios: Dell v: A14 date: 04/02/2007
CPU:
Dual core Intel Core2 T5600 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7315
clock speeds: max: 1833 MHz 1: 1333 MHz 2: 1333 MHz
Network:
Card: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver: wl bus-ID: 0b:00.0
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
char1956
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Enabled wifi, lost all networking!

Post by char1956 »

I have a Dell Latitude D520 and could not get wifi connection at all even when I downloaded the drivers that came with the linux system I put on it. I found something called EDUP for Rasberry pi on ebay , it is a usb dongle and I simply plugged it in my laptop and it connected right away without downloading any drivers. Hope this helps.
JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

Try this

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-dkms
Reboot, then ethernet should work then

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
And after another reboot wifi should work
atridi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by atridi »

Thanks for the suggestion, JeremyB.

I tried your apt-get remove statement, but it didn't restore the wired connection.

I didn't try the install statement, both because I didn't think it would work without internet and because I didn't want to make things worse by possibly further balling things up with a second driver install.

Any other suggestions I can try?

Thanks again, no matter.
JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

Does

lsmod | grep wl
Show wl or does it return nothing?

What does

grep [[:alnum:]] /etc/modprobe.d/* | grep b43
show

I am not really sure what these Dell drivers contain but you may be able to get wired networking back with

sudo modprobe b44
If my suspicion is correct
atridi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by atridi »

Thanks again, JeremyB

Sorry for the long delay to respond. I'm a contractor, so when the client calls I have to run.

lsmod | grep wl returns nothing

grep [[:alnum:]] /etc/modprobe.d/* | grep b43 returns

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:# replaced by b43 and ssb.

Finally, sadly, sudo modprobe b44 does not appear to have helped. :(
JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

Does

grep [[:alnum:]] /etc/modprobe.d/* | grep ssb
Have different results as I think ssb is a dependency of b43 and b44 but you may be able to

sudo modprobe ssb

sudo modprobe b44
and get ethernet working
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

atridi wrote:And I can't go back to what I had because the drivers page will not open due to no internet!
I don't use Cinnamon so I really don't know, but isn't there a "Driver Manager" in your menu? For me, it's under Administration menu, and the command is driver-manager ... sorry if this isn't the same as what you were talking about though.
If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free... Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin... Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

[Other posts in this topic were moved to a separate topic: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=231740 because they were about a different problem. Carry on.]

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”