Cannot Remove Bluetooth Device

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
creekblue

Cannot Remove Bluetooth Device

Post by creekblue »

Hi,

I paired an Air-Fi Venture stereo headset to LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon, newly installed on a Lenovo Thinkpad T410. It paired and worked, until the laptop went into suspend. I removed it, and did a re-pair, and then no sound (even though Mint listed it fine in audio output, etc). I removed again, and re-paired. Still no audio. This time I re-started the computer, but now Mint won't allow me to remove it from the device list, and I've shut down/restarted many times. I've manually restarted the "service" via command line with "sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart" but nada. I can't remove the headset from the device list, re-pair, nothing. How can I force this to work again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Cannot Remove Bluetooth Device

Post by JeremyB »

Try using terminal to unpair the headphones

Code: Select all

bluetoothctl
Will bring up the bluetooth control and should list the MAC and names of the bluetooth controller and devices you have paired with. Use

remove 
followed by the MAC address and see if it can be removed that way. Use CTRL + d to quit bluetoothctl
creekblue

Post by creekblue »

JeremyB, thank you!!! That did the trick, first try. I'll see if I can set up the headphones one more time, and then try another set of headphones I have.
prashantsays

Post by prashantsays »

Can't dissconnect using the terminal also, it says
Failed to remove device: org.blue.Error.NotReady
Ghost Zim

Post by Ghost Zim »

Hi this worked for me

root@edison:~# rfkill unblock bluetooth
root@edison:~# bluetoothctl
[bluetooth]# agent KeyboardDisplay
[bluetooth]# default-agent
[bluetooth]# scan on
[bluetooth]# scan off
[bluetooth]# pair <device>

got it from https://communities.intel.com/thread/62848

:D
jjmk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jjmk »

The solution worked for me but it doesn't keep. I'm not sure what might cause my settings to get corrupted? I noticed that the bluetooth gui in LM 18.3 didn't even have the name of my host laptop device (was blank) even though I named it before. Last time I used it, it connected just fine to my phone this time it would not connect and I had to go through all these steps. Wonder what I can do to make this more stable? I am connecting a Nexus 5x Android phone.
baj
Level 2
Level 2

Post by baj »

JeremyB wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:54 am Try using terminal to unpair the headphones

bluetoothctl
Will bring up the bluetooth control and should list the MAC and names of the bluetooth controller and devices you have paired with. Use

remove 
followed by the MAC address and see if it can be removed that way. Use CTRL + d to quit bluetoothctl
This worked for me with the same issue in Mint v19.3, thanks! I had paired the wireless BT headset I use for my phone to my laptop so I could hear my laptop audio in a very noisy environment at work. Unfortunately it auto re-paired to my laptop every time I flipped the boom open even though the BT GUI would let me remove it, it would find it and reconnect again on it's own.

Return to “Hardware Support”