Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
D-man
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Kernel panic: Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Post by D-man »

Good day.

This kernel panic appeared twice in a row. Some kernel panic did happen several times before, about a year ago. Then never ever again up until today.

Does anybody know what can be a reason for this kernel panic?
Please check the image here (I cannot insert it in the post using Img tag, as it seems to be too big): https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/120455/ ... 8a173_orig

The system had initially been installed as 17.2, later upgraded to 17.3. So the older kernel from 17.2 (3.16.0-38-generic) remained.

Thank you!
Last edited by D-man on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Kernel panic: Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please try upgrading to the latest kernel through upgrade manager. The bug may have been removed.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

deepakdeshp wrote:Please try upgrading to the latest kernel through upgrade manager. The bug may have been removed.
That's not always a good idea. ;) There may be other incompatibilities between a newer kernel and the OP's machine.

OP: Could you run the following in a fullscreen terminal and paste the results back here in code tags?

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Thanks!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

Fred Barclay wrote:
deepakdeshp wrote:Please try upgrading to the latest kernel through upgrade manager. The bug may have been removed.
That's not always a good idea. ;) There may be other incompatibilities between a newer kernel and the OP's machine.

OP: Could you run the following in a fullscreen terminal and paste the results back here in code tags?

inxi -Fxz
Thanks!
If there is any incompatibility with the new kernel, it is easy to boot into your older kernel in Grub recovery mode.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

deepakdeshp wrote: If there is any incompatibility with the new kernel, it is easy to boot into your older kernel in Grub recovery mode.
...which is panicking. ;)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

Fred Barclay wrote:
deepakdeshp wrote: If there is any incompatibility with the new kernel, it is easy to boot into your older kernel in Grub recovery mode.
...which is panicking. ;)
Thats why the newer kernel may be tried . You can have the cake n eat it too.There is no head ache in rolling back. :)
Regards,
Deepak

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

deepakdeshp wrote: Thats why the newer kernel may be tried . You can have the cake n eat it too.There is no head ache in rolling back. :)
I might have been a bit unclear (sorry). :oops:

The OP can most certainly roll back to his current kernel from a newer one. There are three reasons, though, why I would prefer he not try it just yet:
(a). When you add a new kernel, you're doing a bit more than just adding a kernel. There are some other factors changed that would be better not to change just yet until we can get some more info.

(b). A newer kernel might be very bad for his machine. Without knowing what his hardware looks like, it's impossible to tell. You know, and I know, that he can boot from the old kernel from grub, but the OP might not know that and I'm afraid he/she might panic if something goes wrong.

(c). With the old kernel panicking, I don't want to put the OP in a situation where he/she has two broken kernels. Let's tackle one issue at a time. ;)
- Albert Einstein

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Post by D-man »

Thanks for your replies!

Dear Fred Barclay,

The output of "inxi -Fxz" is as follows:

System:    Host: *** Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
deleted the rest for privacy :) 
Last edited by D-man on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks for your reply!

It looks like your computer is pretty new (~5 years old) and can handle a newer kernel. Please open your Update Manager, go to View >> Kernels, and then install the latest kernel from the 3.19 series. Then reboot.

Cheers!
Fred
- Albert Einstein

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Post by D-man »

Fred Barclay, thank YOU for replying!

I am marking the thread as solved and will try to check how this machine will work with some kernel of 3.19 series.
Actually, I have Linux Mint 17.3 KDE (that is a fresh install that uses a kernel of 3.19 series by default) mounted on an external HDD that I boot on the same machine. I use that KDE installation very seldom though. But I ought to say that I have never encountered any kernel panic there. Although even with the Cinnamon installation (that uses the older kernel) it happens not more often than several times per year. I will not take it as a serious problem, as long as hardware is not going to get out of order.

Best regards,
Dimitri

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel panic: Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Post by Fred Barclay »

Great work, mate! :) Take care.
Fred
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Installation & Boot”