Verifying ISO on Windows 10 - Please help!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Digi84
Level 1
Level 1

Verifying ISO on Windows 10 - Please help!

Post by Digi84 »

Okay, so I know there are lots of guides out there and I've read em all but none of them make sense.

I have downloaded the ISO for Linux Mint 18 - 64-bit cinnamon. I have a small amount of experience on Linux but it was with Ubuntu and it was a couple years ago so not sure how much is still usable. Anyways....

I am lost on the whole verifying the ISO before I burn it to a DVD. I have downloaded the ISO, I've downloaded GPG and Kleopatra as well as sha256sum. I also downloaded the sha256sum.txt and sha256sum.txt.gpg

I'm sure I am overlooking something simple and probably over thinking this but I am lost. I don't know how, using these tools(or I don't care if there is a better way, that's fine too), what I am supposed to do.

If someone can please explain this to me, like I'm 7, lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please and Thank You.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Verifying ISO on Windows 10 - Please help!

Post by JoeFootball »

This article seems to have a well-presented section for Windows users.

Joe

Digi84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Digi84 »

JoeFootball wrote:This article seems to have a well-presented section for Windows users.

Joe

I've read that article as well. It doesn't work for me. When I get to the point where I try to import the certificate, it won't import anything. It just says

Detailed results of importing C:\Users\Joshua\Desktop\linux mint\sha256sum.txt.gpg:
Total number processed:
Imported:

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

Digi84 wrote:When I get to the point where I try to import the certificate, it won't import anything.
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with Windows 10, Gpg4win, or Kleopatra, so I unfortunately can't offer any advice via that route. Perhaps someone with knowledge of this area of Windows can step in.

But what I can suggest as an option for your consideration, is to skip the authentication of the SHA256 checksum (which demonstrates the authenticity of the hash value), and go straight to validating the ISO file itself (which demonstrates the integrity of the ISO file).

In the interest of full disclosure, please note that by skipping the authentication step, you aren't mitigating the chance that the hash value itself hasn't been compromised by some malicious evil foe, but perhaps you have more probable matters to concern yourself with.

View/save the sha256sum.txt file in the Linux Mint 18 directory on the main Linux Mint mirror: https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/18/

In that file, you'll see the second row is for Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit. That 64-character hash value is what you're looking to match to via a SHA256 checksum validation. I could post the value here, but it's good practice to get it from the source, and you'll want to learn how to do this anyway.

This article and this article demonstrate how to perform that validation via the Command Prompt in Windows 10.

For whatever reason, Windows has never included any sort of checksum tool, so you'll read that you have to download a SHA256SUM executable to run against the ISO. When you do, it will return a 64-character value. If that value matches the value shown in the sha256sum.txt file, then you have validated integrity of the ISO, and are good to go.

Joe

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR »

Example:
- Create SHA256 checksum for file C:\Users\Joshua\Desktop\linux mint\linux_mint.iso in Win10:

Code: Select all

CertUtil -hashfile C:\Users\Joshua\Desktop\linux mint\linux_mint.iso SHA256
Now check against the sha256sum.txt file from the Mint download site.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

JoeFootball wrote:For whatever reason, Windows has never included any sort of checksum tool...
I stand corrected. :)

Joe

Rock Ingersol
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rock Ingersol »

Do you have 7zip installed? As far as I remember that is what I used to verify it on Windows. When I downloaded the ISO it didn't download the text file I needed but I ended up stumbling across a post that had the info I needed in it and it matched with what 7zip showed.

jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Try this
Del Inspiron 5480, Quad-core, Core I5 8th Gen, Geforce MX 150,
LM 19.2 Cinnamon

Digi84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Digi84 »

Thank you so much everyone for the help! I very much appreciate it!

Return to “Newbie Questions”