This should be easy.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jimmmac1
Level 2
Level 2

This should be easy.

Post by Jimmmac1 »

Hi all

I tried googling this, but again I am getting nowhere fast. I have a program that i listen to on radio that unfortunately will be on from 1 am to 3 am Friday morning. So I would like to record it from a live stream on my google chrome browser. I am running Linux Mint 18 and have Audacity already installed. Computer is a Dell Inspiron, with my speakers plugged into the green round port on the back. This should be an easy thing to do, but so far every search result seems like I need to be able to perform brain surgery to get this to happen. I even tried a simplesoundrecorder and it just wasn't that simple. Thanks for the help.

Jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: This should be easy.

Post by jimallyn »

Can you record anything, say the sound from a Youtube video with Audacity? You will probably have to install pavucontrol, then start PulseAudio Volume Control from the Sound & Video menu. Audacity probably won't appear in PulseAudio Volume Control until you start Audacity recording. Then select the desired input and set levels as needed. I am doing something similar to record a (streamed) local radio program on Thursday afternoons.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
yaye

Post by yaye »

Hello,

Which Desktop Environment are you using Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, KDE?

Are you able to record anything with Audacity?
Jimmmac1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jimmmac1 »

Hi Jimallyn and yaye

Thanks for your responses. I am running Mate and I do have pavucontrol installed. The pavucontrol was a problem, because I wasn't sure what settings to use. I tried using the settings that were on the posts, but either they weren't there, or incomplete. I have tried recording from Audacity, but when I do a playback, there is nothing there. Like when you said 'then start PulseAudio Volume Control from the Sound & Video menu.' I am not sure how to do this once I get pavucontrol started. Also I am not sure what you mean by this 'Audacity probably won't appear in PulseAudio Volume Control until you start Audacity recording. '. Also how do I do this, 'Then select the desired input and set levels as needed.'. This will be a simple talk radio program after a football game. Quality isn't really necessary as long as I can hear it. Thanks again for your responses.

Jim
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Jimmmac1 wrote:Thanks for your responses. I am running Mate and I do have pavucontrol installed. The pavucontrol was a problem, because I wasn't sure what settings to use. I tried using the settings that were on the posts, but either they weren't there, or incomplete. I have tried recording from Audacity, but when I do a playback, there is nothing there. Like when you said 'then start PulseAudio Volume Control from the Sound & Video menu.' I am not sure how to do this once I get pavucontrol started. Also I am not sure what you mean by this 'Audacity probably won't appear in PulseAudio Volume Control until you start Audacity recording. '. Also how do I do this, 'Then select the desired input and set levels as needed.'. This will be a simple talk radio program after a football game. Quality isn't really necessary as long as I can hear it. Thanks again for your responses.
You don't get pavucontrol started. You install it, and that gives you PulseAudio Volume Control. I don't know why it is called pavucontrol in Synaptic/Software Manger, and PulseAudio Volume Control in the Menu, but that's the way it is. Audio recording/playback controls don't appear in PulseAudio Volume Control unless the recording/playback software (Audacity or whatever) is actually running. When you say you weren't sure what settings to use on pavucontrol and that you tried using the settings that were on the post, I don't have any idea what you are talking about. You don't manage settings in pavucontrol, you do that in PulseAudio Volume Control, which you start by clicking Menu, Sound & Video, PulseAudio Volume Control. I also don't know what settings on what post you are talking about.

I would do this: if the station you want to record streams their audio on the web all the time, open your web browser, go the the radio station's website, and start it playing. (If they don't stream their audio online all the time, start some other audio playing in your browser, like a Youtube video or something.) Next, start PulseAudio Volume Control by clicking Menu, Audio & Video, PulseAudio Volume Control. Then, start Audacity by clicking Menu, Audio & Video, Audacity, then click the record button on Audacity. Then, go back to PulseAudio Volume Control and go to the Recording tab. At the bottom of the Recording tab, you will see: "Show: Applications." Click that and change it to "All Streams." Audacity should now be showing in the list of devices and streams, and you should see the "VU Meter" showing the recording level of the audio you are playing in your browser. Adjust the level controls shown in the Recording tab under Audacity until you have a good level in Audacity. You may also have to select the device you wish to record from in Audacity, using the drop-down list shown near the top of the Audacity screen, and near the middle of the screen horizontally. I have mine set to Pulse:0 Mix:0 to record the sounds that are playing in the browser. But I have a different sound card than you and it may not show up with the same name on your computer. This probably sounds a little complicated the first time you do it, but you'll get the hang of it in no time.

If this doesn't allow you to record from the online radio station, report back here and I will see if I can think of anything I might have missed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
yaye

Post by yaye »

I am using MATE also. I have Pulse Audio Volume Control installed, but I usually just use the Sound Preferences Applet. To record from Internet streams, Right Click the Speaker Icon at the bottom right side of the screen and choose Sound Preferences. At the Input Tab, under Choose a device for Sound Input, choose Monitor of your audio device (in my case Monitor of CMI8788). Start Audacity, press the Record button, then start the stream you want to record. You should start seeing the blue wave forms in Audacity as the stream is being recorded. You may have to adjust the Input Volume to get the recording at the volume you need.
Jimmmac1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jimmmac1 »

Hi Jimallyn and yaye

I think I got it. I have it recording for playback. i wasn't sure about exactly where these controls are from 'Adjust the level controls shown in the Recording tab under Audacity until you have a good level in Audacity.' but the default seems to be enough to listen to what I want to listen to. One more question, and I am not sure if this is possible. Is there any way automatically to start the recording at 1 am rather than manually having to click the Audacity 'record' button and start the stream? And to stop it after two hours? Thanks again for all of your help.

JIm
yaye

Post by yaye »

There is a Timer you can set in Audacity to tell it what day and time to start and stop recording. Not at a computer with Audacity on it right now, but it should be easy to find in Audacity's menu.

You can adjust the Input Level, next to the microphone symbol in Audacity or at the Input Volume in Sound Preferences. Both are shown in the attachments I posted.
Last edited by yaye on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmmac1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jimmmac1 »

Hi yaye

Found it and I am recording a test now. Thanks so much for your and Jimallyn's help. You guys are the best. :-}

Jim
yaye

Post by yaye »

Jimmmac1 wrote:Hi yaye

Found it and I am recording a test now. Thanks so much for your and Jimallyn's help. You guys are the best. :-}

Jim
You're welcome.

Ian
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Jimmmac1", & Anyone Else Interested in this,

First, it would help others if you changed your original post's subject line to include the actual issue (problem), like maybe adding "this should be easy to record radio stream".

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are a few ways to do this, and there are already posts in this forum regarding this. And, It would help if you gave us an example of the radio stream you want to listen to and or record.
Note or disclaimer: What I am about to describe, the techniques and or applications for doing this, are for your personal use, and the recordings should not to be shared with others without abiding by the local, national, and or world wide laws and copyright laws. This knowledge is public domain, and I did not create any of these programs or applications. And anyone can record any audio using their smart phone, a voice recorder, etc...

If you are recording songs, or talk shows, that are within their copyright years and they are available for sale, and you like them, the singers and musicians, or talk shows, etc... deserve to be compensated (paid) for their good work. Also, these techniques do not usually provide the high quality recordings that you would get by purchasing their CD's or digital recordings online. Most songs, and or albums, can be purchased online at very reasonable prices nowadays.
If you have not installed "ubuntu-restricted-extras", "streamripper", "fadecut", and the Java runtimes for Java 7 and 8, from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), then I would recommend that you do so now.

1.) Some of the better music applications, like the awesome "Amarok", the great "Audacious 3", and others, can easily play and or record streaming radio stations. In Amarok, go into settings, configure Amarok, "Scripts", click "get new scripts", and install the "record stream" script, restart Amarok, and you can easily record streaming radio stations. Audacious 3 comes setup to do this already.

Tip: It's a good idea check any of these program's options and preferences for things like choosing the folder for storing your recorded streams, for example "/Music/StreamingMusic". In Amarok, after installing the "Record Stream" script, there will be an option under settings to "configure Record Stream", and you can choose record time, such as 3 hours (180 minutes), the default folder, etc...

As for recording your radio stream, you would just start playing the radio streaming station, then click the record option at the appropriate time, and stop the recording at the time you want. Sometimes you have more control, like being able to specify recording for so many minutes, hours etc...

2.) There are "Streaming" applications that can record streaming radio stations and you can set schedules (alarms) to start and stop recording per your schedule, usually time based, length of time, date, or day of week, weekend, and time. Excellent "StreamTuner2", "Kradio4", "StreamRipStar" (Java based), etc... "StreamTuner2" and "Kradio4" are in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

StreamTuner2 - website and current program download, easy to install Linux ".deb" file.
An excellent program to browse, play, and or record streaming radio stations. It has a manual under help in toolbar, check for "timer" for timer scheduling options. This program may exit on its own and require restarting after changing settings, or the first time you access various streaming categories, after that it is stable and works well.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/streamtuner2/
StreamTuner2_TimerSchedule1sm.jpg
StreamRipStar - a very nice java program to browse, play, and or record streaming radio stations, just download it to a folder in your "/Home" folder perhaps "~/Apps/JavaApps/StreamRipStar". To run it, create a desktop shortcut or launcher with a command like that below, or just right click the ".jar" file in your file manager and open with a Java runtime.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/stripp ... ecommended

Example: Use your own username and location to the file in the command below.

java -jar /home/username/Apps/JavaApps/StreamRipStar-0.6.9.jar
StreamRipStar_RadioStations_TimerSchedule2sm.jpg
3.) "Audio Recorder" records sound from your system’s sound card, microphones, browsers, webcams, and more. It provides a timer that can start, stop, or pause recording at a given condition, like time, etc... And it allows you to select the audio source, audio file format, etc.

Information and how to Install Audio Recorder in Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux Mint 18) - in the repos for Mint 17.x
http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/08/13/inst ... -04-16-10/
Another good article
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... -04-15-10/

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:audio-recorder/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt-get install audio-recorder

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Sound”