XScreen Saver openGL non-functional after Nividia driver update (SOLVED)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andrew33

XScreen Saver openGL non-functional after Nividia driver update (SOLVED)

Post by Andrew33 »

I'm not sure if anyone else has had or come across this issue, and not sure if this is in the right area, but, yesterday after doing a driver update through update manager....there was an update for Nvidia driver, from 304.131 to 304.132icd.....not thinking anything of this and trusting the updates that come through update manager, I went ahead with the update. Afterward, I noticed that my screensaver (cubegrid) an xscreensaver, no longer functions. I've written an email to Nvidia support about this, but wondering if this has anything to do with LM repositories and the drivers acquired by them....everything was working just fine prior to this update, and I have also tried to undo it, but it doesn't work, it's still says it is 304.132icd and not 304.131...which is what I want back before all this mess....can anyone help with this at all....any suggestions...thank you.. :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miclis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: XScreen Saver openGL non-functional after Nividia driver update

Post by miclis »

So, you are another person who is having trouble because of the new drivers. There are a few topics on this problem:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=233030
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=233050&p=1236430#p1236430
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=233049&p=1236411#p1236411

You said you were trying to undo the update, but it does not work. How did you do it? Through Synaptic?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

in synaptic rightclick on xscreensaver and completely remove then re-install
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

This is what happened when I uninstalled and reinstalled xscreensaver and all it other componants:
cubiigrid: couldn't create gl context for visual 0x24.
xscreensaver: 15:05:55: 0: child pid 3725 (cubigrid) exited abnormally (code 1).
Screensaver is still messed up, won't run....I'd like to slap whoever changed this thing, it was running perfectly fine til some got a wild hair twisted wrong up their butt and decided to switch things up.....how can I got back to the previous version of this driver..
Atypical User

Post by Atypical User »

The last Nvidia update broke the XServer support. No OpenGL available until this is fixed.

Prior to uninstalling the last Nvidia driver update, I used

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm
per cerien here:

cinnamon wont start at boot

This fixed up some files that made me think the update assumed the full systemd support in LM 18 (because of the 4.4 kernel, maybe?), but 17.3 still uses upstart init (I think).

Edit: The main fix for me was uninstalling the last Nvidia driver. I didn't have any xorg.conf in /etc/X11. All my OpenGL graphics software works again.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i just installed x screensaver and working fine with nvidia-340.98 latest update on linux/mint/mate/17.3/x64 all the opengl screensavers display as they should

indeed it is a dark week in linuxmintland as many users' screens are rendered black, but i can't believe that the flagship cinnamon desktop should have any issues

delete any etc/x11/xorg.conf and then run sudo nvidia-xconfig provided you have any nvidia drivers installed by checking nvidia-settings
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Where can I find the prior version: 304.131-0ubuntu0.14.04.02...the .deb file...that one I know, worked...this CL1 garbage is screwing everything up....it's not OpenGL, it's something else, that why it's not working and/or compatible...
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

should you need to downgrade here i believe is the driver you seek. BUT you will then need to LOCK VERSION in synaptic so it doesn't upgrade untill you release it if you want.

not sure if this is the one https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nv ... d/10556150

and i think you'll need the nvidia-settings (scroll to the bottom) but not sure which are for the 304
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-settings (click the small triangle to the left of the version number)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

for a list of ubuntu nvidia drivers
http://ftp.tku.edu.tw/ubuntu/ubuntu/pool/restricted/n/
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Well, so far, everything is going good, just installed the next version down from your posted links....the 304.131-0ubuntu0.14.04.01 from launchPad....and of course automatically, update manager has the update again...how can I shut that version off til the devs get this ugly caca fixed...I emailed them and nvidia btw for some type of justificational fix/correction....waiting to hear from either of them or both...well see what happens...
Atypical User

Post by Atypical User »

Andrew33 wrote:Well, so far, everything is going good, just installed the next version down from your posted links....the 304.131-0ubuntu0.14.04.01 from launchPad....and of course automatically, update manager has the update again...how can I shut that version off til the devs get this ugly caca fixed...
Use the Update Manager to ignore that update for now. I think you can right-click and "Ignore this update". Otherwise click Edit > Preferences, select "Ignored Updates" tab, choose Add.

Edit: What was done in this thread to install an older version: Could that have been done in Software Manager? Edit 2: Maybe not for the 304 series -- you can't tell what the non 304.132 version is.

I vaguely recall selecting different versions in the Driver Manager...
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Atypical User wrote:
Andrew33 wrote:Well, so far, everything is going good, just installed the next version down from your posted links....the 304.131-0ubuntu0.14.04.01 from launchPad....and of course automatically, update manager has the update again...how can I shut that version off til the devs get this ugly caca fixed...
Use the Update Manager to ignore that update for now. I think you can right-click and "Ignore this update". Otherwise click Edit > Preferences, select "Ignored Updates" tab, choose Add.

Edit: What was done in this thread to install an older version: Could that have been done in Software Manager? Edit 2: Maybe not for the 304 series -- you can't tell what the non 304.132 version is.

I vaguely recall selecting different versions in the Driver Manager...

Looking into the links trytip and miclis posted, namely, going into laucnhpad, then highlighting the title and doing a search from within......finding the downgrade version that worked, and installing it.....also saving the links you all provided, for future reference just in case myself or someone else has any of the same issues, until the devs can get their act together over at the Ubuntu Development....I think they're the one's screwing with this....for now, thank you for all your assistance and great help in this, hopefully we can help more as we go along...

No, not through the software manager, you have to go into synaptic and look for the version(s) you have installed, uninstall them, if it can't be done through synaptic, go through terminal and do a "sudo apt-get purge-nvidia", even go as far as going into driver manager and chose a different driver for the time being til you get the other removed and replaced.

Yes, you can, by looking in synaptic, and seeing clearly what version it is, or in update manager, they all give the versions of what they are, and the bugs and whatnot that they have fixed(yeah right!!)....there are other versions of the nvidia that have been affected by this update, so there are quite a few people who are very frustrated needless to say, they too, want answers and to get this fixed by the developers who created this mess....
Atypical User

Re: XScreen Saver openGL non-functional after Nividia driver update (SOLVED)

Post by Atypical User »

Andrew33 wrote:Yes, you can, by looking in synaptic
That's good to know. Thanks.

I have been very frustrated to click on the Update Manager's changelog tab and see "No changelog available" or some such. I just allowed a Microsoft-signed EFI shim update for which I have no foreseeable need, and now I'm fearful of the consequences after seeing some reports of trouble.

Return to “Hardware Support”