NEON (kde)

Chat about Linux in general
leadwtZ
Level 3
Level 3

NEON (kde)

Post by leadwtZ »

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried Neon the kde environment direct from the kde team?

I have installed it as my live backup on my secondary drive (if that makes sense) while keeping Mint Mate as my main OS on the primary disk.

I have suffered odd troubles using Digikam (the best photo organiser in my opinion) in Mate so I now do all my picture stuff on Neon, using Digikam in its natural environment. Works well too with no hiccups! I am also maintaining Neon in its basic setup with no added gloss. Works very fast appears light on resources and it also runs Virtual Box for me too. Again I had odd little problems within Mate using VB but that could be my inexperience. However for those infrequent occasions that I require Windoze, VB on Neon, again, suits me very well.

Question is will Neon experience an early demise as suggested by some in the media? I hope not as I see it as the 'perfect' fall-back system.

That is today - I might change my mind tomorrow!! :wink:
Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
Linux MInt 19.3 - Mate 1.22.2
Reg. Linux user: 467766 Claws-Mail & Pale Moon user.
Cobber
Level 3
Level 3

Re: NEON (kde)

Post by Cobber »

I still use Mint 17.3 as my main workhorse, but have Neon (User Edition) installed on its own partition. I wanted to try it to see how having the latest KDE software and Plasma works.

It is lean and clean on install, and I installed Synaptic to manage applications I wanted. There have been some hiccups with updates to Plasma, causing issues that could not be fixed until a new update was released (or a workaround found).

Being a semi-rolling release, you have to accept that sometimes you will get problems. If you are not prepared to live with this, then it's probably not for you.

I have found it very nice to use once configured correctly, fast and low on resource use. It is not unlike Mint to use, if you manage packages with Synaptic, so it will be familiar to Mint users. I hope it has a long future, because it is the ideal KDE experience.
PC: Dual HDD: Mint 18.2 64-Bit KDE / Windows7 Professional
HP Dv7 Laptop Dual HDD: MX Linux / Windows 7 Home
Lenovo x230 Laptop Dual boot: Mint 18.1 64-Bit KDE / Windows7 Professional
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

KDE Neon sounds good but it is not a distro or semi-rolling anything. It's nothing but a bleeding edge repo in an LTS base, ie. Ubuntu 16.04. RYFM:

https://neon.kde.org/faq

As cobber says, expect problems.
Cobber
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cobber »

Hoser Rob wrote:......it is not a distro or semi-rolling anything.
By semi-rolling I mean, while the underlying platform is Ubuntu 16.04; Plasma, Frameworks and Qt (amongst other things) are constantly updated to the latest version.

There has been a lot of controversy about whether Neon is or is not a distro, but it removes all the Unity packages from Ubuntu on installation and replaces it with software created and maintained by kde.org

The end result is a Linux installation that is based on Ubuntu, but the appearance and operation are determined by the people behind KDE itself. To me, that is not all that different to how Mint, Manjaro, Kaos etc are built. But I am no expert, so I can only describe what I see, not the mechanics behind it.

If it looks like a distro, can be downloaded as a distro, and is listed at Distrowatch as a distro; then it's a distro - and one climbing the ranks quickly.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I have stopped trying out other distros. Most of them are in experimental stages. Neon KDE has user edition and developer edition. That says it all for me. I imagine a group of geeks having fun tesing, retesting, fail, success, fail, success, leave task, move on to other new fun stuff, rinse and repeat. Linux Mint devs are more organized and more serious in delivering products for their users and won't release anything until it's usable. I have no more time for experimental stuff.
leadwtZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by leadwtZ »

thom_A I have stopped trying out other distros. Most of them are in experimental stages.
I must admit to having done the same, having tried out loads of different, apparently stable, distros. over time. Been quite disappointed by the usability of many and I finally settled with Kubuntu for a number of years. But that started getting 'clunky' in my view so I switched to Mint - Mate which at the moment is to me the best!

I find NEON attractive for reasons already stated. It keeps my Mint-Mint 'pure' but allows me the flexibility I like to have with such KDE programmes as Digikam but that is what choice is all about. However I think you are a bit harsh about the 'geeks' as you have said yourself there is a developer edition which they obviously have 'fun' with I do not see that that applies to the user edition. If you want stability with constant updates then surely the user edition is fine?

First snow of the year here. :)
Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
Linux MInt 19.3 - Mate 1.22.2
Reg. Linux user: 467766 Claws-Mail & Pale Moon user.
Dr G
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dr G »

leadwtZ wrote:I find NEON attractive for reasons already stated. It keeps my Mint-Mint 'pure' but allows me the flexibility I like to have with such KDE programmes as Digikam but that is what choice is all about. However I think you are a bit harsh about the 'geeks' as you have said yourself there is a developer edition which they obviously have 'fun' with I do not see that that applies to the user edition. If you want stability with constant updates then surely the user edition is fine?
Alas, it is not. The Neon devs are unfortunately not as careful with their user edition as you might expect. When 5.8.0 and 5.8.1 were released as updates to the user edition, many a Neon User adopter found themselves with problems with Activities and booting into Plasma :shock: .

If you really want stability with constant updates, currently Maui is the way to go. They've instituted steps to delay updates from Neon User from reaching Maui until about a week passes. This allows for those who like to be close to the bleeding edge to use Neon User, while those who want the updates but need their systems to remain stable/usable at all times to use Maui 8).
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I've been in other open-source forums (non-Linux) where coders from outside the main devs introduce so-called bleeding-edge features. There's nothing bad about it, but the problem is these coders are only interested in 15 minutes of fame and not too concerned about completing what they started. They don't care because there's no obligation to, then they start moving on to the next fun stuff for their next 15 minutes of fame and introduce another one. The main devs end up trying to merge the code spending vast amounts of time trying to make things work for everybody.
Cobber
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cobber »

Dr G wrote:Alas, it is not. The Neon devs are unfortunately not as careful with their user edition as you might expect. When 5.8.0 and 5.8.1 were released as updates to the user edition, many a Neon User adopter found themselves with problems with Activities and booting into Plasma
Those errors were caused by a conflict between Plasma and Qt. They affected any distro using Plasma 5.8.1 and Qt 5.7 not just Neon. The package manager for the Activity Pager Widget fixed it in 5.8.2

Return to “Chat about Linux”