Updates screwed up my system!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Neilz

Updates screwed up my system!

Post by Neilz »

Hi guys, I've been running a dual boot Linux/Win8.1 system happily for a couple of years, The other day I clicked on the updates button, and now wish I hadn't bothered!

System: LinuxMint 17 Qiana, release 3.13.0-24-generic

After the updates, all my windows were visually affected - I could see the window frames, but the content inside was invisible. I could still click on things (if I knew where they were) so it appears that it's just the display that was affected.

After rebooting, the system crashes as soon as I login, and goes into recovery mode (or whatever the Linux terminology is!). So I have a black screen, and have managed to get a terminal open - beyond that I have no idea what to do to get my system working again. I hope someone can help - I'm not new to Linux, but I'm no guru, so I'll need some pretty verbose instructions!

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Updates screwed up my system!

Post by Hoser Rob »

Nol one's going to be able to give useful instructions without more info.

You apparently updated via Update Manager. DId you have level 4 & 5 updates enabled? Do you have more than one desktop environment installed?

Need more system info than release/kernel number. Copy/paste this into terminal and copy/paste the text output back here:

inxi -Fxz
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Neilz

Post by Neilz »

Had to attach the info as an image, as I'm typing from my other laptop! Thanks.
linux1.jpg
Rollo151

Post by Rollo151 »

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=232706

I had a similar problem, and the folks here did a great job getting it fixed. I've attached the link I used.....hopefully it will help
Neilz

Post by Neilz »

Thanks Rollo151 - I had a read through that thread, and tried the new user solution, but unfortunately it hasn't worked.

Strangely, the login screen is fine, everything is normal and as it used to be with a background picture and icons that I can press. But logging in causes the crash and the blank screen. I'll post a pic of this screen in a while.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Neilz wrote:and have managed to get a terminal open
Get the terminal open again and check if this returns anything or nothing at all.

Code: Select all

aptitude search ~U
There's no need to list anything if it does come back with a list of packages, just that it did or didn't.
Neilz

Post by Neilz »

Yes, that command returned 60ish lines of stuff.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Neilz wrote:Yes, that command returned 60ish lines of stuff.
I know a lot of members here are vehemently opposed to performing a dist-upgrade, but holding back the newer packages and dependencies eventually exhaust the system's capability to run.

So cross your fingers and

apt dist-upgrade 
There's no guarantee that this alone with fix this, but it will eliminate a possibility.
Neilz

Post by Neilz »

Ok, I'll give it a try - but it definitely won't break the system completely, right?!
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Neilz wrote:Ok, I'll give it a try - but it definitely won't break the system completely, right?!
You crash now, how much worse can it get :?
Neilz

Post by Neilz »

Currently I can still get in to the OS and type commands... worse would be if I can't get in at all!

I'm not familiar with the command, that's all, so don't fully understand what it is I'm about to undertake!
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Neilz wrote:Currently I can still get in to the OS and type commands... worse would be if I can't get in at all!

I'm not familiar with the command, that's all, so don't fully understand what it is I'm about to undertake!
From the apt-get man page

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages;
Basically there are packages that require a newer version of a package so therefore it can't be upgraded until the new/newer package is installed and configured.

I always dist-upgrade when I see packages are being held back because of changed dependencies and never experienced a problem.

I always go up to level 5 with upgrades, again without issues.

It's ultimately up to you whether or not to do this, but these held-back packages might be the root cause of your problem :wink:
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

create a new user with admin privileges and test that after reboot you may need to logoff if you use auto login
Neilz

Post by Neilz »

WharfRat wrote:
Neilz wrote:Yes, that command returned 60ish lines of stuff.
I know a lot of members here are vehemently opposed to performing a dist-upgrade, but holding back the newer packages and dependencies eventually exhaust the system's capability to run.

So cross your fingers and

apt dist-upgrade 
There's no guarantee that this alone with fix this, but it will eliminate a possibility.
It's worked! Thank you, so much :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”