Flash Player - Installed By Default

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
retsmah
Level 1
Level 1

Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by retsmah »

Flash player used to be installed by default, but not in the latest version 18.

Flash player has been updated for Linux recently, to version 22 (from 11). So flash player is modern again.

Can it be installed by default, it is used everywhere, I see it as essential

??
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Flash Player - Installed By Default

Post by Schultz »

It's still in beta, so it will have to be downloaded and installed manually. I guess it's up to version 24 now, based on the link below:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer.html
retsmah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by retsmah »

Schultz wrote:It's still in beta, so it will have to be downloaded and installed manually. I guess it's up to version 24 now, based on the link below:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer.html

The Linux version is on version 23 and final. ???

Who are you ?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Who am I? :? Well, who are you? I'm a forum user just like yourself! Did you expect Clem to answer your post?

It makes sense that 23 is out of beta since they are on beta 24, but I can't find it (or an announcement that it is final) anywhere, so I'm doubtful. Care to share a link where flash 23 final for Linux can be downloaded?
retsmah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by retsmah »

[quote="Schultz"]Who am I? :? Well, who are you? I'm a forum user just like yourself! Did you expect Clem to answer your post?

My first time here.

So how does the Linux Mint Distribution people get to know about what is wanted in the next release?. Do they read these particular topics in this forum?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

retsmah wrote:
So how does the Linux Mint Distribution people get to know about what is wanted in the next release?. Do they read these particular topics in this forum?
I can't really answer this question, but if you want to install flash 23 (or the new beta 24) here's a link to a post from xenopeek (one of the Administrators) on how to do it. (It probably will still be a while before the new version makes it to the repository.)

[Link removed since the directions no longer apply.]
Last edited by Schultz on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Flash Player is installed when you install the multimedia codecs (see the installer in your sound & video menu or install the mint-meta-codecs package directly). This will install the currently support stable version (as of time of this writing, 11.2.202.643. Newer versions as you refer to as still in beta for Linux and there isn't a stable release yet. When there is a stable release you should see an upgrade from the Flash Player package maintainer for Ubuntu at Adobe.

As to "it is used everywhere, I see it as essential", that is your personal experience and opinion. Of the thousands of websites in my bookmarks, only one website is still requiring Flash Player. I don't have Flash Player installed as it is unsafe as Firefox on Linux doesn't sandbox plugins. I would recommend you install Google Chrome or Chromium (with PepperFlash added from Chrome in case you use Chromium) if you need Flash, as these do sandbox the plugin. This also gets you the latest version of Flash.

My topic Schultz linked to is outdated and won't work as written, but check the comments at the end with up to date links: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=229204&start=20#p1234267. With that you can install Flash Player beta for use with Firefox, though it still isn't sandbox as noted.
retsmah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by retsmah »

xenopeek wrote:Flash Player is installed when you install the multimedia codecs (see the installer in your sound & video menu or install the mint-meta-codecs package directly). This will install the currently support stable version (as of time of this writing, 11.2.202.643. Newer versions as you refer to as still in beta for Linux and there isn't a stable release yet. When there is a stable release you should see an upgrade from the Flash Player package maintainer for Ubuntu at Adobe.

As to "it is used everywhere, I see it as essential", that is your personal experience and opinion. Of the thousands of websites in my bookmarks, only one website is still requiring Flash Player. I don't have Flash Player installed as it is unsafe as Firefox on Linux doesn't sandbox plugins. I would recommend you install Google Chrome or Chromium (with PepperFlash added from Chrome in case you use Chromium) if you need Flash, as these do sandbox the plugin. This also gets you the latest version of Flash.

My topic Schultz linked to is outdated and won't work as written, but check the comments at the end with up to date links: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=229204&start=20#p1234267. With that you can install Flash Player beta for use with Firefox, though it still isn't sandbox as noted.
OK, yes I can install it by causing it to download using your methods.

I was specifically asking for it to be installed and ready to use by default as part of the LIVE CD/DVD/USB system, like it used to be........
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That was a deliberate change to reduce release management effort, as detailed on http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3026 (section "Changes in release management"). You can install the multimedia codecs from the Live ISO as well.
pdhunter1987

Post by pdhunter1987 »

I don't think flash is used everywhere. Look at YouTube, now html5 player.
IMO flash is insecure and old.
Could be wrong though!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”