[SOLVED] KODI crashed on MATE 18

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mpm

[SOLVED] KODI crashed on MATE 18

Post by mpm »

Hi,

Am new on Linux in general and in this forum too and also not much experience with it both but I've been
using Linux Mint MATE 18 for some time and really liking it due to the fact that my very old PC works really well with it.
CPU~Dual core Intel Pentium Dual E2180 (-MCP-)
speed/max~1600/2000 MHz
Kernel~4.4.0-21-generic i686 Up~1:35
Mem~476.6/1883.9MB
HDD~250.1GB(5.4% used)
I use KODI a lot and till a few days ago was working fine but now i cant start it from the desktop as each time i try i get
a crash report about it.

If i try to open KODI from terminal with ~ $ kodi start i get this info:
Termina crash info

If i just click the Icon in desktop i get this crash report as below:
kodi_crashlog-20161109_115427

It was working fine before, had just a few lil crashes but kept working normaly. I can open the program if i
use the SUDO command in terminal. I did a few googling around before posting this topic but cant figure it
much as still a newbe at linux. I think it has something to do with permissions or the fact i might have used
SUDO to open the program. Anyway after reading all that i did a new clean Install of Linux and am surprised
to find same problem is still there only with KODI application. I used to try CINAMMON version also and I didnt find any problem
with it is just that my crap PC is a bit slower with CINNAMON and had to go back to MATE.

If there is a possible Solution pls guide me about it.

Thnx!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Atypical User

Re: KODI crashed on MATE 18

Post by Atypical User »

Hi. I'm also new, so this might not be that useful.

Your OpenGL support may be broken. Check your Xorg.0.log in your Log File Viewer to see.

One log had an error with a bad memory pointer. The other had graphics errors mentioning X11 and GLX.

Also, you may be running an older version of Kodi (15.2), if I understand the crashlog correctly. But the problem may be in your X server. If so, and you are running with Nvidia graphics, you could check the graphics-related forum sections for related threads. Some trouble has recently been experienced by a few updating to the latest Nvidia drivers a few days ago.
mpm

Post by mpm »

Atypical User wrote:Hi. I'm also new, so this might not be that useful.
Your OpenGL support may be broken. Check your Xorg.0.log in your Log File Viewer to see.
One log had an error with a bad memory pointer. The other had graphics errors mentioning X11 and GLX.

Also, you may be running an older version of Kodi (15.2), if I understand the crashlog correctly. But the problem may be in your X server. If so, and you are running with Nvidia graphics, you could check the graphics-related forum sections for related threads. Some trouble has recently been experienced by a few updating to the latest Nvidia drivers a few days ago.
Thnx for reply. Yes am on an old motherboard with a - NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / nForce 610i integrated.
I dont think the version of Kodi matters in the problem am facing cause have tried 16.1 and still crashes.
But now that i am thinking this problem might have started right after i got a new update for my Nvidea drives a few days ago.
Also as I mentioned on first post if i continue to open Kodi with SUDO or GKSUDO from the Terminal it works fine and no problems
at all. Only when i try to open it from desktop or from the Sound&Video group of apps i get the constant crash logs.
Is there a way to roll back the update to make sure that is the problem ?
Atypical User wrote:Check your Xorg.0.log in your Log File Viewer to see.
This is the log about it http://pastebin.com/R61dbFW0. I dont understand much of it so just posting it in here if it helps.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

When you run anything with sudo you must be aware the permissions to the config files may be changed and these files become inaccessible for your user. For instance, running sudo apt update is safe because there are no config files in user home associated with apt. The situation is completely different with applications which open the config file(s) in user home directory upon startup and write it back when closed - some apps do it regardless whether the config was altered or not. To sum it up, there is a good chance after you ran Kodi as root the config file(s) belong to root and your user cannot open them any more, thus the crash. Check it out, if this is the case the solution is obvious.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
mpm

Post by mpm »

AscLinux wrote:... Check it out, if this is the case the solution is obvious.
How to check it if that is the problem in my case?
I mean where to go on file explorer to check permmissions ?
Atypical User

Post by Atypical User »

I didn't see anything unusual with your Xorg.0.log file. The scenario mentioned by AscLinux seems likely.

There's a hidden folder called .kodi in home/<your_user_name> directory (the ~ directory, your logged-in home folder). I don't have MATE, but you can toggle the showing/hiding of hidden files with ctrl-H, I think.

If you used sudo to run Kodi, the .kodi folder might be in root or / or it might be in ~/.kodi but with changed file ownership/permissions. If it is in root it might not be a problem in that it would not be used if you were running Kodi as a normal user (again: I think, based on normal/sudo terminal usage with separate .bash_history files).

In Cinnamon, you can configure Nemo (file explorer) to hide/display file permissions as octal (e.g., 644) and/or normal (-rw-r--r--). The octal number 644 is 110100100 in binary, corresponding to the -rw-r--r--, which is the quick way of showing owner/group/others (6/4/4) having 110/100/100 permissions (Read/Write/no-execute, Read/no-write/no-execute, Read/no-write/no-execute). So the owner can read and write, but the others in the group and others outside the group can only read the files.

You can look at the properties of the files from the right-click menu, and there might be a tab (there is in Cinnamon) for permissions.

You can change permissions with Nemo directly on the properties page for the selected files or folders. It appears that you can multi-select files or folders and apply permission changes to all selected. The problem here is that you must be root to change root permissions.

My .kodi folder has 40755 for octal permissions, drwxr-xr-x for normal permissions. Files inside folders there have 100644 octal and -rw-r--r-- normal permissions.

Now, the quickest way I know to check your file ownership and permissions is in a terminal with the ls command. Compare the resulting listings produced by these commands: ls -la /, ls -la ~ and ls -la ~/.kodi. They show the owner and group that the files belong to, so you will see "root root" in the first instance and "your_user_name your_group" in the second (I think). The ~/.kodi owner and group should be the same as that of ~.

A way to change owners/permissions on files and folders is with the commands chown and chmod. The command syntax is viewable by executing man chown and man chmod as admin in a terminal, but I am not yet qualified to help here.
mpm

Post by mpm »

Thnx for trying to help with my problem guys.
I tried to play a bit around with that permission thing but couldnt fix anything. After i did a roll back of my Nvidea card drivers from the latest update to the default one X.Org.Server Nouveau display driver and everything is working fine now.
Probably i shouldnt have update Nvidea new drivers lately as now I cant use Kodi with this new update and need to use default one.

Well now its working so am calling this Solved.
I'll just wait for a new Nvidea update that may work again later on.

Thnx :)

Return to “Software & Applications”