flash player not working in firefox or chromium

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mademydogscrazy

flash player not working in firefox or chromium

Post by mademydogscrazy »

hey guys

total noob question here.

I just reinstalled Mint mate 18 and followed the linux tips and tricks for Mint and should have got the flash component from those tips to work in firefox... that unfortunately didn't happen though i can watch all the you tube videos i want. the problem seems to be a missing libpepflashplayer.so prompt when I inside an online course that requires flash or this other file I mention.

I've searched for pepperflash installation instructions and have tried to do it from the instructions via terminal but it doesn't seem to install and i think i read that pepperflash doesn't work in Firefox...

I'd appreciate help in getting it to run of both browsers but especially firefox

Keeping it simple stupid applies here...

thanks,
*tail firmly between legs*
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: flash player not working in firefox or chromium

Post by Cosmo. »

Open in FF the add-ons Manager -> plugins. Is the flashplayer listed and set as activated?
mademydogscrazy

Post by mademydogscrazy »

thanks cosmo

no it is not listed in the plugins
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

You cannot use pepper flash/libpepflashplayer.so with Firefox *) as that uses the wrong API (PPAPI). You need the 'old' NPAPI plugin. The package adobe-flashplugin provides that, as well as the pepper flash plugin, which can be used with Chrome and Chromium (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Chromium/Getting-Flash).

In case you have pepperflashplugin-nonfree installed, you can safely remove that, as it no longer works anyway (it tries to install the pepper flash plugin using Google's Chrome package, which doesn't contain that plugin anymore).

Other current treads about this subject: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=232753 viewtopic.php?f=47&t=231966 viewtopic.php?f=90&t=232775 viewtopic.php?f=236&t=232777
*) not directly anyway, but you can if you use the freshplayerplugin - this is mentioned in at least one of the other current threads listed above and should be available from the main edition's repository (i.e. Ubuntu's).
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You have obviously not installed the proper flash player. Open the software manager and install adobe-flashplugin. You have to close firefox and restart it afterwards.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Cosmo. wrote:You have obviously not installed the proper flash player. Open the software manager and install adobe-flashplugin. You have to close firefox and restart it afterwards.
Simply check via terminal about flash.

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections | grep flash
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by micksulley »

I have a similar problem. All was working until today, now when I try to start the Absolute Radio site it opens a new window with the player, as before, and it plays, but it displays a message "Flash! ah-ahh! We look and sound better with Adobe Flash Player"
I followed the instructions in this thread, installed adobe-flashplugin via Synaptic, it shows version 1:20161026.1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
It doesn't show in Tools > Add-ons and if I run dpkg --get-selections | grep flash I get

mick@MickMintDesk ~ $ dpkg --get-selections | grep flash
adobe-flashplugin				install
flashplugin-installer				deinstall
libhal1-flash					install
mick@MickMintDesk ~ $ 
As I said, it does play, but I cannot get rid of the message and so cannot access some of the functions which are hidden underneath it.
Have I missed something?
Thanks
Mick
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I don't have any problems when I install flashplugin-installer. It will remove adobe-flashplugin, which IMO is what you want. You are just replacing the old depreciated flash with a newer one from the Adobe Site. It will be at Version 11.xx instead of Version 1.xx From what I understand, this will remove Flash from Chromium, but it will enable Firefox to work the way you want.

Also, if you want the latest Flash for Chromium that will take some file manipulation, instead just install Chrome from the Chrome website, it includes the latest pepperflash-player.

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
Or just use Software Manager and install flashplugin-installer.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

the best flash player experience you can get is using the OFFICIAL flash player from adobe. UNinstall any flash player or adobe flash or pepperflash and go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ and choose your Linux (32 bit) or (64 bit) then FP 11.2 for other Linux 32/64bit (.tar.gz) - NPAPI

once downloded the 32 or 64 bit version all that's needed is UNcompress the .tar.gz and copy libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

many will say that this in not the mint way but i don't understand why there so many flash players in synaptic when the real flash player is right there at the official site. this is only for mozilla browsers only

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ <<< test your flash player here
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

"flashplugin-installer" does the same thing trytip, and it will be much easier for the new to linux guys in this thread.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Look at what's in the adobe-flashplugin package's Maintainer control field:
"DL-Flash Player Ubuntu <FlashPlayerUbuntu@adobe.com>".

So it's maintained by someone @adobe.com. Not 'official' enough?

Also, that package contains both plugins, so anyone needing both (i.e. someone using both Firefox and Chromium) has everything in one go.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

mademydogscrazy wrote:hey guys
I've searched for pepperflash installation instructions and have tried to do it from the instructions via terminal but it doesn't seem to install and i think i read that pepperflash doesn't work in Firefox...
obviously the OP is having issues with installing this in synaptic, so i offered a different solution.
ps: for a while a few months ago mint wasn't keeping up to date with flash, that's when i started installing my own for mozilla browsers. and i use the official chrome ppa so i don't need the synaptic pepperflash
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Cosmo. wrote:You have obviously not installed the proper flash player. Open the software manager and install adobe-flashplugin. You have to close firefox and restart it afterwards.
Sorry trytip, I understand.

Cosmo has got the solution here, should be as simple as this now. Wonder if mademydogscrazy has got it fixed?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by micksulley »

Please, please can someone help?
Flash was working fine until a few weeks ago and it stopped. Now when I try to view (e.g. http://www.channel4.com/now/c4) I get a message
This video requires Flash. Install or upgrade Flash

I have removed an old flash plug in that I had, rebooted, installed adobe-flashplugin via Synaptic started Firefox, checked add-ons, extensions, etc and it is not listed. Try the site again and it still doesn't work, still says to install Flash

If I try live TV from the BBC site that works. Does that not use Flash?

What have I missed? What else do I need to do?

Thanks
Mick
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

install chrome browser https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/ and test that
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by micksulley »

I have installed Chromium in another instance, that initially gave the same 'Install Flash' message. I then installed adobe-flashplug and no longer get the message but it still does not work, just a blank screen.

I tried to install Chrome using the link, https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/ clicked on the link to download, then accept and install, all seems to complete but I don't have a Chrome browser, rebooted and still not there, tried several times, nothing. How do I install it?
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Wouldn't hurt to do a Update via Terminal first, this sometimes fixes things. Copy Paste this into Terminal hit Enter, enter Password if needed, you won't see it just type it and hit Enter. I always just hit Enter if there are any questions asking what you want to do with a package.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
After this check if things are working in Firefox. If not maybe we need to fully Uninstall adobe-flashplugin with the following commands.

sudo apt-get --purge remove adobe-flashplugin
Then Reboot and reinstall.

sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
And Reboot again, don't know if it is needed at this point but I always do.

Hmm, about Chrome: The Installer seems to tell you it is done when if fact it is not. Try it again and make sure to let it fully install. Then it takes a little while to get the Shockwave Flash to Install on it's own, don't know why or what does it but it will install itself. May just need a reboot. I'll look into that ASAP.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Bad Post
Last edited by pcpunk on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Bad Post
Last edited by pcpunk on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

micksulley wrote:Please, please can someone help?
Flash was working fine until a few weeks ago and it stopped. Now when I try to view (e.g. http://www.channel4.com/now/c4) I get a message
This video requires Flash. Install or upgrade Flash
I'm in Windows 7 and getting a Warning/Error saying: "service is not currently available in your area" Hopefully others will check it for you. I'll check it later in Mint. Do I need to be signed into that page for it to work or something?

micksulley wrote:I have removed an old flash plug in that I had, rebooted, installed adobe-flashplugin via Synaptic started Firefox, checked add-ons, extensions, etc and it is not listed. Try the site again and it still doesn't work, still says to install Flash
It will be in "Plugins"
micksulley wrote:If I try live TV from the BBC site that works. Does that not use Flash?

What have I missed? What else do I need to do?
If flash is working you will see the Flash Red Block tumbling when you log onto this link, if not Refresh the Page.
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/[/quote]
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Beginner Questions”