Mechanical Keyboard - What's the big Fuss?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mechanical Keyboard - What's the big Fuss?

Post by MMcD488 »

Lucap wrote:To make things more confusing for the consumer some manufactures are now pushing Mechanical Rubber Dome keys called Topre

I actually have one of these hybrid keyboards. It's a Cooler Master Devastator II that I got because I wanted a cheap backlit keyboard. It also came with a really nice backlit mouse for $30 so I can't complain. As far as typing, it does seem to feel different from my old logitechs. That could all be in my head because of the clicky sounds the keys make though.
Back on topic, ergonomically, It's easier on the hands to use a mechanical keyboard because you only have to press the keys a little over half way to activate the switch, whereas with a rubber dome keyboard you have to press each button all the way to the bottom to activate it. Less movement = less stress on the fingers. In my opinion, ergonomics is why professional typists like mechanical keyboards and the responsiveness is why gamers prefer them.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

It's easier on the hands to use a mechanical keyboard because you only have to press the keys a little over half way to activate the switch, whereas with a rubber dome keyboard you have to press each button all the way to the bottom to activate it.
In the early 1960s, IBM wanted to create a new typewriter and they designed the Selectric. One of the most discussed and researched parts of the new typewriter was the keyboard. How hard should the key press be? How far should the key travel be? Heavy or light to the touch? When the research came back, it was determined that a key travel of three quarters of the distance from the top to the bottom of the full travel was perfect. That is, the key strike happened when the key was pressed to 3/4 of it's full travel. When IBM decided to get into the personal computer market, they created their keyboard with the exact same heuristic specifications they used on the Selectric.

The feel of mechanical keyboards are better due to this ground-breaking research by IBM.
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

My 14-y.o. son actually prefers much older keyboards with extremely springy keys, plus he says he also enjoys the sound of the keys and the solid stable feel of a big, heavy board. The one he has now weighs about 4 pounds!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I prefer a mechanical keyboard but the one I have attached to the Dell feels like one - I found it abandoned with some other computer gear down the road a few weeks ago & it's by far the best one I have now ... none of that horrible issue of keys binding making touch-typing practically impossible & the keys register without having to hammer them all the way down, just what I'd expect of any decent keyboard but turns out this is a cheap one - a Kensington ValuKeyboard, under a tenner (free, in my case!). :mrgreen:

I'd love to get hold of a Model M though. Can't afford one at present :(
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

A properly manufactured Hall effect keyboard is the best. You can type with no stress. You do not need pressure. The keys respond to the natural weight of your finger. Tests with good typists show thousands of keystrokes more per hour and no RSI.

Longevity? Good keyboards were cheaper than the gaming keyboard you buy today and they easily last ten times more keystrokes.

I currently have a steelseries keyboard that is solid but I have to hit the keys to make them work. Typing is not a pleasure on that keyboard.

Keyboard or touch screen? The best touch screen fails one out of five characters when I type very slowly and carefully. The best touch screens are pathetic compared to keyboards.

Future writers will not care about keyboards. They will ask a Google robot to type everything. Based on recent movies, robots are already churning out all the Hollywood movie scripts.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

BG405 wrote:I'd love to get hold of a Model M though. Can't afford one at present :(
A moving company destroyed the three best keyboards I have ever used - an IBM Model F (PC/AT), a Gateway AnyKey and my prize, a Northgate OmniKey/Ultra. The Gateway was a lower-quality knockoff of the Northgate, but I liked it until I got my hands on a real OmniKey.

The OmniKey had the same tactile response as an IBM keyboard, it was programmable, it could be configured with DIP switches, and it had two groupings of Function keys. The beast weighed 6-lbs and was a joy to use.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

BenTrabetere wrote:
BG405 wrote: IBM Model F (PC/AT),
I have two IBM KPD8923 keyboards with $0.75 price tags still on them. Check the junk stores.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Petermint wrote:A properly manufactured Hall effect keyboard is the best.
Ace Pad Tech Hall Effect Keyboard - Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zroBvff5tW0

Ace Pad Tech Hall Effect Keyboard - Revision update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXufLazAuw8

Lets hope when they perfect it they make a quieter one. :shock:
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

The Guangzhou Ace Pad Hall Effect keyboard is fully waterproof and operates underwater, the perfect keyboard for flood prone areas. :idea:
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

typewriter-inspired keyboard - €109.99

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... -keyboard/

That is just wrong. :)

Return to “Open Chat”