[SOLVED]: LMDE2, Cinnamon 3.2, Mint-X window and controls themes missing?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
aer0usa

[SOLVED]: LMDE2, Cinnamon 3.2, Mint-X window and controls themes missing?

Post by aer0usa »

Edit: SOLVED. TL;DR: I broke it. I had downloaded a theme that asked me to run a script to install it. That script most likely borked the existing themes. How to fix it? I backed up my files and re-installed Linux Mint (I switched to Linux Mint 18 just for fun). I should have known better. Kids, be smart: don't run strange scripts.

Hi,

The subject line sums it up. In System Settings > Themes, I don't see the Mint-X options under Window Borders or Controls. They still seem to be there for Icons.

I had been trying some new themes, installing them in ~/.themes so I may have stepped on something.

The Mint-X files still seem to exist in /usr/share/themes

I marked mint-x-icons and mint-themes-gtk3, but no joy

Any ideas? Any other paths or logs I should look at?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richhunn

Re: LMDE2, Cinnamon 3.2, Mint-X window and controls themes missing?

Post by richhunn »

Similar issue with Wallpaper choices, selected proper folder which is shown but contents are not. Select "change background" and it goes to proper
screen with no choices shown. This happened after the 3.2.1 Cinnamon upgrade, worked fine before.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

richhunn wrote:Similar issue with Wallpaper choices, selected proper folder which is shown but contents are not. Select "change background" and it goes to proper
screen with no choices shown. This happened after the 3.2.1 Cinnamon upgrade, worked fine before.
This is a known issue and someone has already done a fix for it. Hopefully it will go out to LMDE users soon.
aer0usa wrote:Hi,

The subject line sums it up. In System Settings > Themes, I don't see the Mint-X options under Window Borders or Controls. They still seem to be there for Icons.

I had been trying some new themes, installing them in ~/.themes so I may have stepped on something.

The Mint-X files still seem to exist in /usr/share/themes

I marked mint-x-icons and mint-themes-gtk3, but no joy

Any ideas? Any other paths or logs I should look at?

Thanks in advance!
Could you try running

Code: Select all

cinnamon-settings themes
in a terminal and see if it shows any errors?
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
richhunn

Post by richhunn »

Joseph, thanks for the prompt reply, appreciate the response.
aer0usa

Post by aer0usa »

JosephM wrote:Could you try running

cinnamon-settings themes
in a terminal and see if it shows any errors?
Thanks JosephM! I tried that, but it didn't show any error.
99+1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 99+1 »

JosephM wrote:
richhunn wrote:Similar issue with Wallpaper choices, selected proper folder which is shown but contents are not. Select "change background" and it goes to proper
This is a known issue and someone has already done a fix for it. Hopefully it will go out to LMDE users soon.
This errors goes on background configuration...

cinnamon-settings backgrounds
Loading Backgrounds module
Failed to convert /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-serena/ajilden_blossom.jpg: width

(cinnamon-settings.py:21043): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon pan-down-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 128
Failed to convert /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-serena/anieto2k_hot_balloon_trip.jpg: width
Failed to convert /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-serena/arestifo_hill.jpg: width
Failed to convert /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-serena/capelli_ears_of_corn.jpg: width
Failed to convert /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-serena/capelli_lilium.jpg: width
Failed to convert /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-serena/dmarcu_romania.jpg: width
Failed to convert /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-serena/dvancea_brecon_beacons.jpg: width
Problem is only on thumbnails generation, when you choose slideshow on selected folder, it works.
However, I can't select picture for wallpaper.

I can't find fix for this in forums.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The fix for the backgrounds issue should come via the update manager. You won't find a fix in the forums.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

Could this be related?
viewtopic.php?f=238&t=233997

I also can't change the background picture, because there are no thumbnails to choose from...
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

UliBär wrote:Could this be related?
viewtopic.php?f=238&t=233997

I also can't change the background picture, because there are no thumbnails to choose from...
You can find all your background pictures if you open Nemo, or whatever file browser you are using, then click on file system, then click on usr, then click share, then click on backgrounds. Your pictures are there.
99+1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 99+1 »

for wallpaper problem - resolved by today's update. All Cinnamon components on version 3.2.2
aer0usa

Post by aer0usa »

Back to the original question: Still no joy. How can I do a complete reset on Cinnamon? Thx!
Edit: I got the 3.2.2 update too, but still no joy.

Return to “LMDE Archive”