NiksaVel-Mint iconset RC2

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

gentlemen,

it is with extreme pleasure that I present to you RC2 of my NiksaVel-Mint iconset... I've put in a LOT more hours of work at clearing up the extra icons, converting everything to PNG and getting rid of all the shortcuts...

The product I present to you took me already more than a week of free time to compile and I hope you'll like it.

Please comment on everything, good or bad - I am trying to make an "ultimate" icon theme, combining almost 10 different iconsets that were released under the GPL, as well as editing a lot of them by hand...

Plans for the immediate future are adding the few missing icons for system preferences/administration....

If anyone notices a missing icon anywhere please let me know here or PM...

Grab the icon theme here:
http://www.emsa-ri.hr/niksavel/NiksaVel-Mint-RC2.tar.gz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Many thank's, very nice indeed, I am running KDE and they seem great, particularly like the one for Xmms
Nick
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

that one is actually one of the VERY few application replacement icons... I've tried to leave all the applications on their default icons... I believe it's counterproductive to change icons for the commonly used programs...

there are only a few touchups here and there in that area ...
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Now had time to look at all your Icons, they all
seem very nice (in KDE) like the mp3 icons,
the Kaffiene especially, can find no problems so far
Nick
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

haven't even tried it out in KDE :) glad to hear it works there too :)
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

sorry i havent been giving anymore feedback, but ive been visiting my parents for the last few days. cant try the theme in windows! ;)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

but when you see how great it is you'll wish you were able to :D
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Hey Nik good work so far. I like how you used more realistic looking Icons. Obviously this is just release candidte 2, but the set does feel incomplete still. I think I might feel that way, because of the mixture of the realistic and then cartoon looking icons. I think sticking to either stylized or pseudo-real would bring a bit more consistency to the set.

The last thing that irks me the most is when the icon is sized to 16x16 pixels, take for example an icon that gets put into the panel. The show desktop icon is lost and didn't even realize what it was until I hovered over it. Maybe a different icon would be more suitable?

Anyway sorry I've been slow to give feedback been quite busy on my end. Wanted to make sure that i gave it a thorough look. Good work!
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

thanks for the comment carlos, I agree completely with you....

the mixture is due to the mixture of various iconsets I've chosen to create the "backbone" of the iconset... it was diversity in style, but it is by far the most complete iconset of each single one. The style will be cleared out in time as I find/create better icons to replace the cartoonish ones...

I plan to improve upon it as time goes by listening to both the community comments and my own ideas of course :)
facade47

Post by facade47 »

Haha! Oh no! I didn't like the folder icon, so I made one, but y'all are saying we should do away with the cartoony icons... ack!
Oh well 8-P

Just in case anyone is interested, here it is:
Hehe maybe we could make a green folder look realistic? I just don't like the brown, IMHO :(

Everything else looks FANTASTIC!! I'm really happy with the icon set in general :D
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

when you have the theme installed, take a look at:

Code: Select all

/home/yourusername/.icons/NiksaVel-Mint/scalable/mimetypes
and you'll see the several color cariations of the "folder" icon that we can use as well...

I prefer the brown one in this "generic" theme because it can easily go with both blue and green theme, as well as any other, while color compatibility with the green icons is more limited...
facade47

Post by facade47 »

Ha! Yeah, I guess I should have seen that there =P
I understand your point about the generic brown. :)
Keep up the excellent work :D
pucho39

Re: NiksaVel-Mint iconset RC2

Post by pucho39 »

Hey, how can you install a new icon set, i just downloaded a pack of icons, but the feature in the panel was removed, since Mint is Ubuntu based, why did you took the utility to change the iconset and the cursor icons? Please respond a.s.a.p. cause im going crazy over this!
gray

Post by gray »

Thanks, your first icon-pack live now on my desktop. I like it, very nice! But i can't get your second iconset - link not work :roll: Do you have different link ?
P.S.: Sorry, may be my english not ideal :oops:
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

I'll have to reupload it, but I also need to work on it a bit when I get the time... so please be patient :mrgreen:
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
gray

Post by gray »

Ok, thnx :mrgreen:

Return to “Your Artwork”