Firefox 50 - libavcodec older than 54.35.1 [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andrew33

Re: libavcodec update?

Post by Andrew33 »

richyrich wrote:Until they come out with an update for libavcodec, this workaround worked for me:
Find the following line in about:config :
media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete=false (double click this line to change it from false to true)
Restart Firefox.
Hey richy,

I found this on or in another post, which suggested installation of a ppa for libavcodec56:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/851190/h ... untu-14-04

I just went through the motions to install through terminal, using the commands that they suggested, I'm going to find out if this takes care of the issue...thank you for your quick response, I did find your response on another search page and did that as well with "about:config"....we'll see
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

It all worked, no more nagging grey bar across the top of the page.....following the ppa instructions helped and yours as well richy.....hope this helps with other with this issue....suggestion, save all the pages with the instructions for future refference...just in case...
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

These responses are interesting. It's good to know I am not the only one encountering the problem.

But - just to be clear - there seem to be two 'solutions' or workarounds. Is it a case of doing either..... or both?

Action 1 is to adjust Firefox's settings by going to 'about:config" and editing the line in there about libavcodec. As I understand it, this simply tells Firefox to ignore what it thinks is a security vulnerability, that the existing libavdec54 is OK, and to carry on using it.

Action or option 2 is to install a new ppa (not associated with Mint), and from that to install libavcodec56.

Since I'm a little wary of customising or tweaking my system with software or updates not provided (and verified...) by the Mint developers via the normal update process, it would be interesting to know if/when Mint will deliver an update, a fix, or the latest (#56) version of libavcodec.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

br1anstorm wrote:it would be interesting to know if/when Mint will deliver an update, a fix, or the latest (#56) version of libavcodec.
The answer which has been given to almost the same question in another thread about the same topic (lots of similar threads about Firefox 50 and libavcodec 54) will apply to your question as well. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: libavcodec may be vulnerable or is not supported, and should be updated to play video

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on>
Merged the 2 threads "libavcodec may be vulnerable or is not supported, and should be updated to play video" and "libavcodec", because they are about the same topic.
</moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Firefox 50 - libavcodec older than 54.35.1

Post by Drygar_2016 »

This is very annoying, btw.

This message about libavcodec appears on so many websites which I visit on daily bases. Lots of videos does not work at all or some plugings require extra click.

One more reason for the LM project to move from standard FF builds to Firefox ESR - at least on FF ESR (45 with all updates), this annoying message does not come. Canonical (Ubuntu) developers will have more time to fix and release an updated version of libavcodec.

Insane !
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

Drygar_2016 wrote:Insane !
Mozilla is insane for attempting to prevent drive-by executables? Do updated ffmpeg libraries not exist in 14.04 or something?
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

karlchen wrote:
br1anstorm wrote:it would be interesting to know if/when Mint will deliver an update, a fix, or the latest (#56) version of libavcodec.
The answer which has been given to almost the same question in another thread about the same topic (lots of similar threads about Firefox 50 and libavcodec 54) will apply to your question as well. :wink:
The only USN related to this I've seen in recent weeks is an updated to the "good" set of gstreamer plugins on 22 Nov (which does include updates for 14.04 LTS.)

edit: Here's the best answer so far for those of you on LM17.x: http://askubuntu.com/a/851192
Last edited by ostracized on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
hanson53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hanson53 »

I have the same issue running LinuxMint 17.1 and Firefox 50. Mozilla Firefox 50 seems to be a bad release as I keep getting this annoying problem with the BBC Radio Times web page, adverts down each side duplicate across the page and prevent the user reading the page.
Screenshot.jpg
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

FF 50 broke everybody's libavcodec

Most flash video stopped working here with a warning.

The solution is here:
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

Minterator wrote: The solution is here:
I assume from that thread you're referring to this answer that updates libav-tools in 14.04. People upvoting "allow obsolete codecs" is definitely not a "solution."
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

Is Linux Mint 18 also hit by this problem?
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

DrM wrote:Is Linux Mint 18 also hit by this problem?
LM18 is based off the Ubuntu 16.04 codebase, so no.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

libavcodec warning

Post by excollier »

Getting this a lot lately on FF, usually on Facebook
libav.png
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: merged this thread "libavcodec warning" with this thread "Firefox 50 - libavcodec older than 54.35.1"
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
ostracized

Re: libav codec warning

Post by ostracized »

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: libavcodec warning

Post by karlchen »

I wish the Linux Mint forum had got a search function in the upper right-hand corner of the screen which would help retrieve all the existing threads about "Firefox 50" and "libavcodec". Too bad that this is only wishful thinking. :(
This would work then: "Firefox 50" "libavcodec" ... too bad, only fiction.
Lifeline
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

karlchen wrote:I wish the Linux Mint forum had got a search function in the upper right-hand corner of the screen which would help retrieve all the existing threads about "Firefox 50" and "libavcodec". Too bad that this is only wishful thinking. :(
Not to mention the steam installer fix as well...
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

karlchen wrote:I wish the Linux Mint forum had got a search function in the upper right-hand corner of the screen which would help retrieve all the existing threads about "Firefox 50" and "libavcodec". Too bad that this is only wishful thinking. :(
This would work then: "Firefox 50" "libavcodec" ... too bad, only fiction.
thanks for your kind words
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Fail to see the relation to "steam" at the moment, because only the well-known "libavcodec" warning displayed by Firefox 50 was asked for in this thread so far. - Does not matter. - I do not have to understand every detail. :wink:
Lifeline
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

broken video player

Post by chazb »

None of the videos on Facebook play any more. I get a tiny error message; "Libavcodec may be vulnerable or is not supported, and should be updated to play videos." I have tried to fix this, but to know avail. So I am open to ideas, I'm not well versed in Linux commands, so if some one comes up with an idea, try to keep it simple. Also is there a work around, like some other program that will do the same thing?
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged this thread "broken video player" with this thread "Firefox 50 - libavcodec older than 54.35.1"

Return to “Software & Applications”