How difficult to get a new laptop suitable for Mint18

Chat about Linux in general
roy4sanders

How difficult to get a new laptop suitable for Mint18

Post by roy4sanders »

I have been a Linux user for many years I love Mint and for my Birthday wanted to buy a new laptop. I have spent most of the day trying to source a suitable laptop without having to support Microsoft on the way. I do wish someone would provide an everyday laptop around £450! I am sure this is holding back the spread of Linux.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How difficult to get a new laptop suitable for Mint18

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U
bertradio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bertradio »

I am using it on an Asus UX305UA and it runs like a charm. I'm dual booting with Win10 but hardly use it. Great machine.
shengchieh
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shengchieh »

You're welcomed to view the llloooonnnngggggg list of linux retailer on my website

http://shengchieh.50webs.com/tuxslinks.html
-> Retailers
-> Linux pre-installed vendors (desktops, servers, laptops, tablets)

Sheng-Chieh
TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime »

It depends on what you want because Linux will run on practically any Intel based computer. I was able to run Mint 18 Cinnamon LiveUSB on a friend's Macbook Pro. I just enabled the wireless drivers and I was on the Internet. And a good used Macbook Pro 17" runs $600, which is about £480. Of course, that £480 could be used on a very nice new laptop. Amazon has some good new laptops for under $600.

My only recommendation is to find something that has Intel hardware; video, Ethernet, wireless. They are more likely to work right out of the box than other hardware. That's not to say non-Intel hardware won't work. It will. It's just the install may go easier with Intel hardware.

Something else to remember. If you plan on dual booting to Windows, you'll have to familiarize yourself with dual-booting using UEFI. See this post from austin.texas. Just a few things to keep in mind.
roy4sanders

Post by roy4sanders »

Yes I have loaded mint onto many machines. I have also run a computer group for over 15years solving so so many MS problems. Two years ago I decided that life was too short to struggle with all the virus, ransom ware, pups, malware massive updates etc. associated with Windows and now only use Mint. I WILL end up with a new laptop running Mint but you have to admit it is not straight forward and for our system to prosper someone needs to make it easier. I am in my seventies so my entrepreneurial days are over!!
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

roy4sanders wrote:I have been a Linux user for many years I love Mint and for my Birthday wanted to buy a new laptop. I have spent most of the day trying to source a suitable laptop without having to support Microsoft on the way. I do wish someone would provide an everyday laptop around £450! I am sure this is holding back the spread of Linux.
Almost every software has system requirements listed on its website. Linux Mint is no different.

Linux Mint 18 “Sarah”

System requirements:

512MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
9GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3080

I can't imagine not being able to secure a laptop far more equipped than the specs listed above that's worth £450.

This household has 2 desktop PCs and 1 laptop which are 5-8 years old and Mint is running fine with no issues. All of them have the early dual cores with 3gb and nvidia cards. I'm pretty sure I could get more advanced machines for £450.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

TooMuchTime wrote:My only recommendation is to find something that has Intel hardware; video, Ethernet, wireless. They are more likely to work right out of the box than other hardware. That's not to say non-Intel hardware won't work. It will. It's just the install may go easier with Intel hardware.
Excellent recommendation as I have an Acer laptop all intel from 2006 with Microsoft Vista and installed LM 18 Cinnamon 64 bit and everything worked right out of the box without any issues.
The Wife is very happy with it. :)
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

My Lenovo N585 - low end laptop works well, everything worked first boot. even UEFI worked.
I also had a dell 1564 -- which would run Mint fine , but had to install drivers for the Broadcom wireless to get it running.
Not a big deal but you need a erthernet connection to do it.

If you look at any of the system 76 or zareason Laptops they will all work with mint quite well even though they come I believe with
ubuntu install thinking zareason will even do the install for you.
The long and short is there are many many laptops that will work. Intel based seem to give the least problems.

I stay away from sony's and Toshiba's because the seem to give the most propblems with Linux, But I'm sure most of them can be made to work.

If your going to a retail store you can alway take a live usb stick and give it a try on the machines your thinking of , it will give a good Idea if it's going to work or not.

good luck and happy hunting.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

I am no laptop expert but the common successful laptop linux installs seem to be intel chips with intel video. You would be hard pressed to find posts of that combination that did not work out of the box. Now some stuff may not work right way in 18cause its new, you should expect that. But 17.3 I would feel safe spending money on new tech and have it work.

Disclaimer: I am an AMD guy for the desktop, but for laptops you will be better off all around with intel based.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Return to “Chat about Linux”