A new laptop for the Spouse-Unit

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

A new laptop for the Spouse-Unit

Post by MurphCID »

I have decided after the agonies of the last few days with Windows 10 Anniversary on her old HP laptop, and all the issues that came with it, to get her this laptop: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion ... Id=5365605 which is much better than what she has. Her old laptop is an ancient HP with 3 gb of ram, and an AMD processor.

I am having so many problems with her laptop that i am really tempted to install Mint 17.3 and see if she notices. However, since she can't load iTunes, that will be a deal breaker at this point. But I might go ahead anyway since issues have become a daily event, to include the ever popular AtiMON issue which I cannot fix. I might even add an SSD like the crucial MX300 575 gb drive in it to make it faster. Best Buy can do the install since it will be from there, and that way they can warranty the installation.

I think that Linux would be the way to go, but I have to do it stealthily so she does not notice......
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: A new laptop for the Spouse-Unit

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please have look. If you buy a Linux certified laptops there will be no driver issues for Linux.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=231532
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

THose are nice, but I like this Hewlett Packard, and the wife is and always shall be a Windows user. She even has trouble with that, she is just not a technical person at all. I am going to get a Samsung EVO Pro 512gb SSD for her new machine. I want her to have something that will last her 3-5 years, and works. Her old, ancient HP will become a second Linux box using Mint 17.3 XFCE and be an emergency backup system.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

MurphCID wrote:the wife is and always shall be a Windows user..
Not if you cut off tech support for Windows. :lol:
MurphCID wrote:she is just not a technical person at all
All the more reason she should be using Linux.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

She has trouble figuring out how to find a video on YouTube and Netflix.....
jimallyn wrote:
MurphCID wrote:the wife is and always shall be a Windows user..
Not if you cut off tech support for Windows. :lol:
MurphCID wrote:she is just not a technical person at all
All the more reason she should be using Linux.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

For some reason, the pictures aren't loading for me, so I can't see the thing, but:

Although HP itself is fairly careful about distinguishing notebooks from laptops, I've learned that other people are much more casual. The crucial difference is that notebooks have fans on the bottom, and therefore can't be used as laptops: i.e., they can't sit on your lap, and from my experience, overheat like crazy and need a cooling stand.

Also, you know already, I'm sure, that backing up Windows and getting around all their antipiracy nonsense is a PITA, and will invalidate the warranty.

3GB of RAM is sufficient to run any version of Mint you like. Your "ancient" laptop is newer than mine and could get you into trouble with drivers. You're actually better off with older hardware so that Linux has had time to build drivers for it. You could try googling HP 15-au091nr linux to see if there are issues with it.

Netflix used to be, and perhaps still is, a problem on Linux. And any TV networks that DRM their shows to watch online won't work on Linux. There's theoretically a fix for that (run Firefox for Windows on Wine) but the one person I know who tried it couldn't get it to work.

Have you considered an Android tablet with a keyboard? If she likes it, you could point out that Android is a lousy version of Linux. That might persuade her to take the plunge.
Mint17 KDE
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

She has a Nexus 7 (2013) that has all of her books on it. and she likes it (as well as she likes any technology). She has Netflix on a Chromebook which she shares with my daughters (and all three fight over it), which I have to show her weekly how to log in, and do things since she claims to never remember how to do it. Her old G6 HP laptop will probably get Mint 18 XFCE since I want to try that version. My 13.3" laptop has the cooling vents on the bottom so I guess it is a notebook.
LindseyD. wrote:For some reason, the pictures aren't loading for me, so I can't see the thing, but:

Although HP itself is fairly careful about distinguishing notebooks from laptops, I've learned that other people are much more casual. The crucial difference is that notebooks have fans on the bottom, and therefore can't be used as laptops: i.e., they can't sit on your lap, and from my experience, overheat like crazy and need a cooling stand.

Also, you know already, I'm sure, that backing up Windows and getting around all their antipiracy nonsense is a PITA, and will invalidate the warranty.

3GB of RAM is sufficient to run any version of Mint you like. Your "ancient" laptop is newer than mine and could get you into trouble with drivers. You're actually better off with older hardware so that Linux has had time to build drivers for it. You could try googling HP 15-au091nr linux to see if there are issues with it.

Netflix used to be, and perhaps still is, a problem on Linux. And any TV networks that DRM their shows to watch online won't work on Linux. There's theoretically a fix for that (run Firefox for Windows on Wine) but the one person I know who tried it couldn't get it to work.

Have you considered an Android tablet with a keyboard? If she likes it, you could point out that Android is a lousy version of Linux. That might persuade her to take the plunge.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, I got her the AMD version of the laptop since I had less cash than I thought on my paycheck. What a nice laptop! 7200 rpm HD, 1920x1080 screen, 8 gb ram, really nice. Now if I could just find some way to sneak Linux on it without her having a complete melt down I would.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Your wife is so different from mine:
She used Windows 7 but complained it was getting so sloooooooow. So I suggested to install Mint on it.
Can I do what I do now? Yes dear.
Will I loose anything while you work on the computer? No dear, we have a backup, remember?
Okay, do it. Yes dear.
And now, 18 months later she is still very happy with it. And so am I cause it saves me a lot of time which I can use for other things now.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

My wife HATES technology. She wants everything to be easy. But after playing with her new computer for a while, I must say I am impressed with it. If I had not already gotten mine, I might have gone back for another one of these. Having a 7200 rpm HD makes a big difference.

DeMus wrote:Your wife is so different from mine:
She used Windows 7 but complained it was getting so sloooooooow. So I suggested to install Mint on it.
Can I do what I do now? Yes dear.
Will I loose anything while you work on the computer? No dear, we have a backup, remember?
Okay, do it. Yes dear.
And now, 18 months later she is still very happy with it. And so am I cause it saves me a lot of time which I can use for other things now.
richlion2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richlion2 »

My wife HATES technology.
So do I and I am a computer geek. The worst parts are:

1) The obsession with battery saving options and screens locking. Absolute madness and defies the logic behind using computers. We should lock up our domain admins and policy implemntors in a mental institution. Actually just recenlty someone proved that you can plug in your own USB computer and even if someone locks a computer she/he are not immune to hacks:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/raspberr ... 0295.shtml

2) Web sites that do not open within the first 5 seconds. Anybody who owns a web site and cannot make it to open within a few seconds should remove it from the internet. Adverts and FB should be penalized for adds. Automatically starting videos should be criminalized :evil:

3) Developers keep constantly changing something until one day things get broke and I have to fix it. Worst of all they keep redisigning (especially MS) user interfaces without any logic or standard.

4) Tons and tons and tons of options on my work Windows Phone. Absooooooooooolutely ridiculous. In order to find a simple task to forward my phone calls I had to GOOGLE how to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It takes a split second on my very old clunky Samsing Android GT-S5830 phone.

Tell your wifes they are not alone.

The GOOD news : I've been using various Linux distros for the past XXXX years, and this year just started using Linux Mint with Cinnamon. It's the best most simple computer inderface I have come across, and although there a few otions I would add here and there it is fantastic.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I completely agree with you.
richlion2 wrote:
My wife HATES technology.
So do I and I am a computer geek. The worst parts are:

1) The obsession with battery saving options and screens locking. Absolute madness and defies the logic behind using computers. We should lock up our domain admins and policy implemntors in a mental institution. Actually just recenlty someone proved that you can plug in your own USB computer and even if someone locks a computer she/he are not immune to hacks:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/raspberr ... 0295.shtml

2) Web sites that do not open within the first 5 seconds. Anybody who owns a web site and cannot make it to open within a few seconds should remove it from the internet. Adverts and FB should be penalized for adds. Automatically starting videos should be criminalized :evil:

3) Developers keep constantly changing something until one day things get broke and I have to fix it. Worst of all they keep redisigning (especially MS) user interfaces without any logic or standard.

4) Tons and tons and tons of options on my work Windows Phone. Absooooooooooolutely ridiculous. In order to find a simple task to forward my phone calls I had to GOOGLE how to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It takes a split second on my very old clunky Samsing Android GT-S5830 phone.

Tell your wifes they are not alone.

The GOOD news : I've been using various Linux distros for the past XXXX years, and this year just started using Linux Mint with Cinnamon. It's the best most simple computer inderface I have come across, and although there a few otions I would add here and there it is fantastic.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The oddest thing happened. I installed the latest Windows anniversary update, and all of a sudden the web-cam vanished. Nothing. I uninstalled, reinstalled, updated, rolled back, re-updated, did system restore to drop off the anniversary update, and nada, zip, zero. No webcam. I was starting to get worried that perhaps I had a defective laptop. I took it back to Best Buy and the Geek Squad guy managed to get it working. It is an HP M6- AR004DX laptop, and I just don't understand. Now in Linux, I cannot get the webcam to work on Skype, but in Windows I need it to work so the wife can Skype the oldest at college. I am going to leave it alone for now, because I need the webcam to work, and Lord only knows what Microsoft is going to mess with next.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please try diffwrent supported Kernels in update manager, and reboot. Try if all peripherals including the camera work with the kernels
You can boot from any of the installed kernels in recoveru mode.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

If you want netflix or amazon prime on linux use google chrome. (Its not in the software manager but downloadable from their website).

The anniversary update on windows 10 did indeed break many webcams. A fix and explanation is here :
https://www.nextofwindows.com/a-quick-f ... our-webcam

If its not working in linux its probably as others have said a matter of updating the kernel to get newer drivers. However are you sure the webcam is switched on in linux ? Install cheese and press fn + f3 to toggle the webcam on or off seems to be a suggested solution.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Windows is only suitible for experts.
If your wife has to have iTunes get her a Mac. As far as I am concerned operating systems rank this way: Linux first, OSX second and Windows a distant third because of the high degree of technical expertise required to manage a Windows system.
Get her a Mac and after awhile the extra money you spent will be repaid in the reduction in problems with your wife's PC.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks, that confirms my theory that Windows 10 Anniversary breaks things. I'll check on the webcam later today.

sikejsudjek wrote:If you want netflix or amazon prime on linux use google chrome. (Its not in the software manager but downloadable from their website).

The anniversary update on windows 10 did indeed break many webcams. A fix and explanation is here :
https://www.nextofwindows.com/a-quick-f ... our-webcam

If its not working in linux its probably as others have said a matter of updating the kernel to get newer drivers. However are you sure the webcam is switched on in linux ? Install cheese and press fn + f3 to toggle the webcam on or off seems to be a suggested solution.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The only thing to make her head explode worse than Linux would be a Mac O/S. She is a windows user 100% since that is what they use at her office, and she has used windows since Windows 1.0.
InkKnife wrote:Windows is only suitible for experts.
If your wife has to have iTunes get her a Mac. As far as I am concerned operating systems rank this way: Linux first, OSX second and Windows a distant third because of the high degree of technical expertise required to manage a Windows system.
Get her a Mac and after awhile the extra money you spent will be repaid in the reduction in problems with your wife's PC.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

MurphCID wrote:The only thing to make her head explode worse than Linux would be a Mac O/S. She is a windows user 100% since that is what they use at her office, and she has used windows since Windows 1.0.
Well then, brace yourself for more problems.
One of the reasons I wanted to move my wife off Windows is that Windows is not "Windows" anymore. Time was that Windows was what you wanted if you wanted a stable. steady and reliable OS but with Win10 MS has committed to a never ending stream of mandatory updates and upgrades that has already given Win10 a nasty reputation for breaking hardware and software.
My 35 years of using all manner of computers has lead me to one conclusion: Use Unix or a Unix-like OS or suffer the consequences. Unix is based on sound principles, Windows is an ad-hoc jumble of pieces stitched together with hope and promises.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

@Murph- If you prefer Firefox (I know I do) there is now a way to use it with Amazon Prime Video (and I think it works for Netflix according to others). Just mark the checkbox Preferences->content->play DRM content in Firefox.

Return to “Other topics”