Viruses on Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Viruses on Linux Mint

Post by CtrlAltDel » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:23 pm

xeno wrote:Might do a search.
Or he might can just come here and ask a question since that is the purpose of this group, especially the newbie sub-forum. In all the years I've been here, I think this is the first time I've seen the old "Google It" phrase. I hope that doesn't become a habit around here.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:08 am

Kudos Pjotr!
I have made 3 more converts this last week from your quotes in this blog.
2 construction firms.
They are now keeping me out of trouble as their new IT switching them over to LM from Windex. (Windows :mrgreen: )

Toshiba U205 LM 18 Cinnamon 64/WinXP Pro 32 bit, (2 each)Toshiba L305 LM 17.3 Cinnamon 64, Toshiba L505 LM 17.3 Cinnamon 64,
ASUS PC 1001PX 500GIG SSD LM17.3 Cinnamon 64, Dell Opto 990 LM 18 cinnamon64, Dell Vostro 1000 LM 18 Cinnamon 64,
Old handbuilt pree SATA with Atom processor 2 gig ram LM 17.0 ver2 32 bit, Sony Vaio VGN-CS215J LM18 Cinnamon 64.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:26 am

So all the Linux flashplayer exploits , Linux Routers and Web Servers being exploited for DDOS attacks , Linux Forums being hacked , Poodle , Heartbleed , Rowhammer and the trojan infected Mint download page a few months back (just to name a few) are all Windows problems because Linux is perfectly secure and safe.

Who would have thought it. :P

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:37 am

No one is saying that. Don't be a troll.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:44 am

scorp123 wrote: In a private setting?? I kind of don't see a scenario where I'd ever pass on a Windows virus in such a private setting? As a Linux user ... why would I even download any *.exe files from anywhere? Those are executables for a platform I don't have and don't use. And if I don't download such things (why would I?) how could I pass them on to any Windows user?? So having my Linux systems at home run anti-virus software seems highly redundant then.
What about infected PDF files or maybe going for a buffer overflow via mp4/vidoe files? you can have an ordinary .exe on a windows machine search for infected files to open and execute, granted it's not the most common but not only .exe can carry nasty stuff

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:51 am

Moem wrote:No one is saying that. Don't be a troll.
I think you'll find you don't understand British Banter and Humour,

If you don't want to join in with having a bit of light hearted fun then there is no need to stir things and accuse people of being a troll , There's enough of a BS Clique on here trying to gang together on Tech Freak just for having a personal opinion that differs from others so i would expect better from you being a Moderator not to throw snide remarks at people.

Humorous Sarcasm in an attempt to be Witty is completely different than a Troll trying to start personal arguments.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:06 am

Sarcasm is difficult in a foreign language. I think you'll find that you'd have difficulty understanding it in mine.
I'd appreciate it if you could exercise your sense of humour in a way that does not rely on suggesting that people said things they didn't actually say. Because that really does come very close to the things people do when they're trying to start personal arguments.

Furthermore keep in mind that I'm not just a mod but also a normal forum user just like you. I'm not going to have my 'moderator hat' on all the time.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:39 am

Bringing in such aspects like web-site attacks or DDOS attacks is not even at least understandable as sarcasm; there is no relation to the topic about viruses and AV. It is simply either off topic or wrong.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:38 am

Cosmo. wrote:Bringing in such aspects like web-site attacks or DDOS attacks is not even at least understandable as sarcasm; there is no relation to the topic about viruses and AV. It is simply either off topic or wrong.
Another new Clique forming , a Mod backing a Mod for the sake of stirring it a bit more by pedantically trying to pick apart one small aspect of someone's opinion , Now that's trolling. :roll:

This thread was de-railed ages ago and all i done was gave my opinion on the tone of the thread in the form of sarcasm.

No rule was broken . No one was trolled or personally flamed or anyone else's post used as part of my reply, though you and Moem have decided to make this personal with personal negative insinuation against my post under what you imagine rather than what was said.

If you don't like my opinion then you are free to scroll past it in the same way i'm free to scroll past others opinions , you are not entitled to think on my behalf or try and manipulate others to fit your imaginary argument.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:43 am

Lucap wrote:Another new Clique forming , a Mod backing a Mod
I did not react to Moem, I did react to your factually wrong statement.
Lucap wrote:you and Moem have decided to make this personal with personal negative insinuation against my post under what you imagine rather than what was said.
Moem did not do what you accuse her and I did not either. You did even quote yourself, what I did: I pointed out, that your statement is either wrong or off topic, both have nothing to do with sarcasm, which you claimed.
Lucap wrote:If you don't like my opinion then you are free to scroll past
You are too generous.
Lucap wrote:you are not entitled to ... manipulate others
Be careful what you write. :mrgreen:

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:01 am

So rather than trying to get this back on topic you thought you would keep this going and continue being off topic with your imaginary flights of fantasy. :P

How about posting your opinion on the subject or the tone of the thread instead of posting your opinion on me. :wink:

pdhunter1987
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pdhunter1987 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:59 pm

Lucap wrote:So rather than trying to get this back on topic you thought you would keep this going and continue being off topic with your imaginary flights of fantasy. :P

How about posting your opinion on the subject or the tone of the thread instead of posting your opinion on me. :wink:
Lucap,
Sorry but you have brought absolutely nothing to this thread.
Please use your "sarcasm" elsewhere, perhaps make your own thread or something in "open chat".

FYI not everyone gets sarcasm and I never picked it up either.
-----------------
pdhunter1987
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit
sudo apt install LinuxMint

Return to “Newbie Questions”