Set file view mode (list, compact, icon) in Save | Open

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Set file view mode (list, compact, icon) in Save | Open

Post by sadhu »

I'm running linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 32-bit.

In Nautilus I can set the default file vew mode. However, nothing I do changes the default view in the File Open, Save, or Save as dialogues. It's always List view, which often creates a need to do a lot of scrolling to find the file name I'm looking for.

In Windows it's possible to change the file view in the Open, Save, and Save as (as well as other Explorer-based) dialogs.

Is the same functionality available in Linux Mint? If so, how?

-Sadhu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Set file view mode (list, compact, icon) in Save | Open

Post by kyphi »

Is this what you are looking for:

Install dconf-editor.
Go to org --> nemo --> preferences --> default-folder-viewer.
Left click on 'icon-view' and select 'list_view'.
Open nemo and click on the list view icon.
Nemo will retain that selection until you change it.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
naftahorn

Post by naftahorn »

I don't think we ought to consider this item as CLOSED as it doesn't actually address the problem of the poster.

The poster is specifically asking how one can change the view for the dialogue windows for "OPEN", "SAVE", and "SAVE AS".

When nemo is set as the default file manager and the default view has been set to "compact-view" within it's configuration, this DOES NOT actually set the view for the dialogue windows "open/save/save as" to also use compact-view. Those 3 dialogue windows continue to default to a "list-view" format.

Therefore how does one go about setting the view for these 3 dialogues? 'Tis a question that has plagued me for a long long time too!
naftahorn

Post by naftahorn »

Am wondering if the answer provided here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/656333/f ... w-settings; is applicable to nemo and linux mint?
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

Thank you, Naftahorn. The link you provided states
. . . the file chooser and save as dialogues are related to the graphical toolkit upon which an application is built, and in no way related to default file manager. Since most programs use gtk toolkit under Ubuntu, I see no possible way of altering those dialogues. There's possibility of switching to Qt-based desktops, but at least in my experience under razorqt that didn't do the trick. Therefore my answer to this question is altering file dialogues is impossible. . . .
Emphasis mine.

The links supplied give these instructive remarks:
Now if the rainbows gnome devs merge this, but noooo of course they won't fix this 10 rainbows YEAR OLD BUG because "something something use GTK3 (which ALSO DOESN'T HAVE ICON VIEW), we'll add to GTK3 in 10 years".
and
This feature would have to be implemented in the Gtk UI toolkit since the File Open dialog is not part of Nautilus specifically.
Which is what Naftahorn said.

"If it really, really, REALLY irks you, go back to windows," is an answer I've heard more than once.

-Sadhu
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
smudge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smudge »

This is really helpful thank you! I also used dconf editor to display the full address field in Nemo which is also really handy
Been a hard core Linux and FOSS user since mid '90s. Enjoy pen-testing, OSINT and user privacy. Mint, CentOS, Arch, Kali, and Parrot distros. Started with Mandrake and Suse before Redhat then Fedora. Must post more..

Return to “Cinnamon”