Will grub find other os

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Just for your info, I installed Bianca and it picked up my ubuntu install correctly - which is on a second drive. Hope this helps.

arjay
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Grub will find the other OS. You may want to change the behavior of grub after install which (also) is really simple
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

Here's something that I thought was amusing. When I installed Mint, Grub even found an unsuccessful OpenSuse install that forgot about. :lol:
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I installed mint on my laptop the other day and it (grub) found my sled10 and winXP installs. and they still work LOL.
:lol:
desertViking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by desertViking »

Based on the information in this thread, I trusted the installer and it did find my other installation. It would be *nice* if the installer text could be modified to indicate this behavior.

Even nicer would be to allow grub to be skipped and let me add the boot options myself, but this would probably cause some difficulties for those who didn't know how to modify grub.
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob »

The Debian based distros really do the best job of identifying any other distro correctly, but I wish that the Ubuntu variants would easily allow you to put grub on the root partition instead of insisting on overwriting the mbr.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Post by varaonaid »

Thanks for this thread. It answered one of my main questions on getting mint installed on my laptop.

Sounds like the mint installer is excellent and uber simple. Fantastic. Can't wait for the KDE version!

Return to “Installation & Boot”