Lock screen / suspend is *still* making me nervous: Glitches and freezes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Lock screen / suspend is *still* making me nervous: Glitches and freezes

Post by fromWinToLin »

This is a major security concern, and I believe it started happening after the latest updates.

If I lock my screen, then move my mouse, I will return to the desktop session without any password required! Even if I wait a long time, or suspend and resume. This is a big deal! Sometimes it WILL lock properly, and require my password. Other times? Nope! It'll just give me access without any password required. And then sometimes it will just freeze, and I cannot even switch to another TTY to kill the mdm service.

Now I'm too nervous to even use my computer!

Here are my system specs. I believe others are also affected by these recent updates that have broken the LOCK SCREEN:

Code: Select all

Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon

uname -a:
4.4.0-57-generic #78-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 9 23:50:32 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0

Commit Log for Fri Dec 23 09:01:26 2016

Upgraded the following packages:
cinnamon (3.2.6+serena) to 3.2.7+serena
cinnamon-common (3.2.6+serena) to 3.2.7+serena
cinnamon-screensaver (3.2.9+serena) to 3.2.12+serena   <--- DID THIS CAUSE THESE NEW ISSUES?
cinnamon-screensaver-x-plugin (3.2.9+serena) to 3.2.12+serena   <--- DID THIS CAUSE THESE NEW ISSUES?
libcscreensaver0 (3.2.9+serena) to 3.2.12+serena   <--- DID THIS CAUSE THESE NEW ISSUES?
mdm (2.0.16+serena) to 2.0.17+serena
mintbackup (2.2.5) to 2.2.6

Installed the following packages:
cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper (3.2.12+serena) <--- DID THIS CAUSE THESE NEW ISSUES? (Not an "update". New packaged automatically pulled by the update manager.)
EDIT: I use caps to bring attention to important text that a reader can easily spot and skip over the rest. I would rather not use colors and different font styles. Bold text does not seem to work within "code" quotes.

UPDATE: Link to bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1652489
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xox101
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Lock Screen is making me nervous! Unlocks WITHOUT password

Post by xox101 »

I can confirm this. Cinnamon 18.1 on Lenovo x200s. Closing the laptop lid sends the laptop off to sleep as per usual but opening the lid again does not present the lock screen, goes straight to desktop instead. Only started doing this today and lock screen settings have not been changed. Same updates as above.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Please raise a bug report ASAP.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

MintBean wrote:Please raise a bug report ASAP.
Done.

Link to bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1652489
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

fromWinToLin wrote:
MintBean wrote:Please raise a bug report ASAP.
Done.

Link to bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1652489
Good work, soldier!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I fear, that the report will stay there forever without any developer noticing it. The better place is here. Note, that there are already similar issues open.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

Cosmo. wrote:I fear, that the report will stay there forever without any developer noticing it. The better place is here. Note, that there are already similar issues open.
I don't have a GitHub account right now, but you're right: looks like there are a few people that reported the same packages! That is a relief. I will try to remember to report it on GitHub next time.

I'm still nervous about all of this, since technically Linux Mint now follows the Ubuntu LTS releases, and to push out an update that introduces a new package to a very critical component of the system seems risky and inappropriate. This is something, in my opinion, that should only be pushed out on the LMDE updates. Furthermore, such updates are marked as "Safe" and "Tested" according to the Mint Update Manager.

I hope the developers take this into consideration. It hits novice users harder than more experienced ones. I had to use the Sys Resc RSEISUB key combination to reboot multiple times recently (gives a chance to sync and unmount properly), due to the freezes caused by locking the screen, in which I could not switch to another TTY or restart the mdm service. A new user is unlikely to know how to proceed if they were suddenly hit by this bug. They wouldn't even realize is was a "safe" update that caused it.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

An update was just released on the repositories! Check your update manager, use apt, or Synaptic to refresh, download, and install the update! So far so good, as it appears to be working like normal again! :)

I went ahead and rebooted my system after updating, just to make sure.

APT HISTORY:

Upgraded the following packages:
cinnamon-screensaver (3.2.12+serena) to 3.2.13+serena
cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper (3.2.12+serena) to 3.2.13+serena
cinnamon-screensaver-x-plugin (3.2.12+serena) to 3.2.13+serena
libcscreensaver0 (3.2.12+serena) to 3.2.13+serena
GaryV
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Lock Screen is making me nervous! Unlocks WITHOUT password

Post by GaryV »

It seems I have all those files installed... but my screen lock does not work.... it never locks with the screensaver.

Note, however, that Mint 18 cinamon does work on my laptop with the screensaver lock working... the difference between the laptop and desktop is the chipset... the laptop is an Intel I3, while the Desktop top is an AMD A6-3500 with Radeon HD Graphics. Also installed is a second graphics card, and NVIDIA G84 (GeForce 8400 GS)
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

Did you reboot your system since the updates were applied?

Another test is to see if the length of time you wait between locking (or suspending) and resuming makes a difference. Try unlocking immediately. Then next time wait a few minutes to unlock. This isn't a solution, but a way to provide more clues.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

Okay, now it seems that even though the screen will prompt for a password, sometimes resuming from suspend will allow access to the desktop for a few seconds, and THEN it will prompt for a password. This is the least secure lock screen I have seen to date. Why can't it just operate like any of the other lock screen methods from GNOME, Xfce, KDE, and so on?
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

Can anyone confirm if they can bypass the lockscreen when resuming from suspend, even with the latest updates?
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

UPDATE: Resuming from suspend still risks freezing the entire system, where only the sysresc keys can force a reboot. Sometimes the display will stay on the lock screen (AKA: cinnamon-screensaver) but not accept any input, and sometimes it will briefly show my desktop before returning the the lock screen. This is with the latest updates. Suspending / locking the screen is very glitchy and risky!
rymar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lock screen / suspend is *still* making me nervous: Glitches and freezes

Post by rymar »

My system has this problem still. I can resume from suspend without needing a password. I can manually lock it with Ctr, Alt,l then I do get prompted for a password.
Have been using Linux on and off for most of twenty years. Seen the good, the bad and..well...the ugly. Switched to Mint several years ago. Prior to that used Kubuntu. Currently I'm co-chair of the Vernon BC Canada Linux Users Group.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

As of now, latest updates, I still have the random issue where resuming from suspend will allow me to interact with my session for about 5 to 10 seconds before the lock screen kicks in and prompts for a password.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

Well, guess what? On version 3.2.13, I resumed from suspend, and I was never prompted for a password. In fact, as I am writing this comment, I've been using my computer since resuming from suspend... and still no password prompt.

Fully updated Linux Mint 18, cinnamon-screensaver 3.2.13.

Unfortunately, I didn't have it running in debug mode, so I have nothing to copy+paste into here.
georgeene

Post by georgeene »

So, no update as 28/04/17 as to whether there is a resolution around this or whether this is a bug which is being addressed that anyone is aware of?
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

I think the issue is that this bug is random and tricky to diagnose and recreate. I even submitted a debug log on the bug report when I was allowed temporary access after resuming from suspend (without a password prompt). So far, nothing. Not sure how else to approach this.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

On my system "Suspend" does not require a password to resume and will do so on mouse movement or any key press.

"Lock Screen" asks for a password to resume and if the "group" icon is activated will open the desktop opening screen which also asks for a password.

In "Screensaver", the setting is the standard cinnamon lock screen (default). The available "Lock settings" are both set to OFF.

It all seems to work as intended.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
recnes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by recnes »

I've got quiet similar problem with awaken computer from suspend and lock screen.

I'm dealing with the repeatedly activated lock screen out of my will. Lock screen some times does partially lock some times complete lock. When complete lock engaged, Also when it's locked I can type my password to unlock the screen bu sometimes It's unlocked it self while I typing a few characters of my password. I took a screen record about that. you can watch it from the link below

PS: Flickering image of the video caused by driver I guess. I'm not noticed with those glitches/screen flicking while I using it. I am realize those glitches/flicks while I watching the recorded video.

https://youtu.be/-Ujllh2tEc4

Return to “Cinnamon”