Should I try to get rid of Win 10?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobfunduro

Should I try to get rid of Win 10?

Post by bobfunduro »

Hi all.

Another convert here. Have to say I'm buzzing a bit.

I saw the post from 'Silver Surfer' and think swopping the drives is a good idea (good example of KISS - keep it simple stupid!)

I'm toying with the idea of a flash drive to boot from and keeping data. I have a 128gb drive at the mo which is adequate.

Any thoughts on what to use on an ASUS X50N series?

Cheers all and Happy Christmas!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Should I try to get rid of Win 10?

Post by MintBean »

I use what was my old main (spinny disc) as a data disc and boot from a separate (smaller capacity) flash drive. I swear by this option as I think the speed boost for startup and first launch of programs, not to mention moving data around on the primary disc is well worth it. Second off, if I want to reinstall the data disc remains untouched. Others will argue differently, so it's down to you.

The other advantage is that you don't have to kill your Windows disc until you've got a fully working Linux install. I killed Windows and have a pure data disc, but it's not a bad option to keep Windows around for those one or two programs you maybe can't find a decent equivalent of on Linux.

Welcome aboard!
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

MintBean wrote:I use what was my old main (spinny disc) as a data disc and boot from a separate (smaller capacity) flash drive. I swear by this option as I think the speed boost for startup and first launch of programs, not to mention moving data around on the primary disc is well worth it. Second off, if I want to reinstall the data disc remains untouched. Others will argue differently, so it's down to you.

The other advantage is that you don't have to kill your Windows disc until you've got a fully working Linux install. I killed Windows and have a pure data disc, but it's not a bad option to keep Windows around for those one or two programs you maybe can't find a decent equivalent of on Linux.

Welcome aboard!
WIn10 isn't my favorite either. Linux Mint feels more at home to me. That said, I'd definitely keep Win10 around, if for no other reason it will help you determine whether a future problem is related to linux or to hardware. Also keep a boot DVD or USB flash drive around for the same purpose.
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Hi bobfunduro
I started out with using a 32Gb usb stick installed with Linuxmint 18, but found the available space on the stick very limiting. However having bought a 500Gb HDD for £47 and installing Linuxmint 18 Sarah on it as the only OS, has solved a lot of problems. Using it to replace the original drive which had Windows Vista OS on it, makes it possible to restore that computer to it's original state if required.
I appreciate a SSD drive would probably be more desirable, but didn't want to spend too much pocket money. I am now thinking of following chiefjim's advice and acquiring a usb Docking station. Would probably save having to undo all the screws on the base of the laptop just to get at data on the old HDD, although I did load a lot of photos/documents onto a usb stick for easy access.
The above has worked for me.

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you aren't sure you want to get rid of WIndows I'd say don't. You may need it for something ... some Linux users will say you can do anything in Linux that you can in WIndows but that is complete bollocks.

I don't have any Windows anymore but I'm not a gamer and I don't use anything like Photoshop. I'd still have at least one Windows partition if so.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 »

Hoser Rob wrote:If you aren't sure you want to get rid of WIndows I'd say don't. You may need it for something ... some Linux users will say you can do anything in Linux that you can in WIndows but that is complete bollocks.

I don't have any Windows anymore but I'm not a gamer and I don't use anything like Photoshop. I'd still have at least one Windows partition if so.
I agree 100%. Even though I was having problems with Windows 10, I wasn't ready to throw away the $140 I had spent for the OEM copy of Windows 7 Professional when I built my PC (which I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro). Even if you bought a pre-built computer, the cost of that Windows license is factored into the price you paid for it. Also, I was glad that I had a dual-boot setup when I got to my Intro to Programming class last quarter in school. We needed to run Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 or newer to do our class projects and I couldn't get VS2012 to run under WINE. My setup allowed me to have a backup plan and run in Windows 10, where it was designed to run. Even if you don't like Windows, there's always a possibility that you'll run into something that you may need it for...
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

MMcD488 wrote
I agree 100%. Even though I was having problems with Windows 10, I wasn't ready to throw away the $140 I had spent for the OEM copy of Windows 7 Professional when I built my PC (which I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro). Even if you bought a pre-built computer, the cost of that Windows license is factored into the price you paid for it.
The reason that I changed over to Linux is not about what I have spent obtaining Win 10, but more about the fact that M$ 10 is going to take over your life and privacy. As I see it, unless you have the business version, you now have to agree that by using their OS you confirm they can do what they like with the data on your computer.
All updates are now mandatory. You can no longer choose whether to accept any updates.
If you don’t mind what’s happening to your privacy then it’s a very useful OS.

However, the way Linuxmint is now being developed,(i.e encrypting everything) I feel much safer even though I have to enter my password to make any changes to it. All congratulations to the development guys achieving this.

I very rarely switch on my Windows 10 laptop, except to speak to family on Skype.
I will continue with LinuxMint even if it doesn’t yet do what you can with Microsoft W 10.
I’m sure it will only get even better!

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Silver Surfer wrote:All updates are now mandatory. You can no longer choose whether to accept any updates.
To augment Silver Surfer's point, in trying to help a friend setup dual boot on a new Win10 UEFI laptop that he got himself for the holidays (oh, the pain), I discovered something interesting.

I found that Windows, as a totally logged-out box waiting for a new user, will connect to the Internet unattended, and begin downloading/installing its updates (and whatever else it does), without any user session being active. :shock:

Joe
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

JoeFootball wrote:I found that Windows, as a totally logged-out box waiting for a new user, will connect to the Internet unattended, and begin downloading/installing its updates (and whatever else it does), without any user session being active.
It also reports back to Microsoft on a regular basis. I know, people will tell you that you can turn that off, but I saw an article a few months ago where a guy had a brand new Win10 install, and he put it on a system with a network monitor. After turning off everything he could find to turn off - and he went to great lengths to find out what all that was - it still made contact with Microsoft-owned IP addresses over 3000 times in an 8 hour period. Didn't bookmark that article; wish I had.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Just keep Win10 until you can confidently abandon it. I assume that a lot of people dumped Windows altogether because of the Open Source philosophy even if it cost them the software they needed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

jimallyn wrote:Didn't bookmark that article; wish I had.
In no defense of how absolutely invasive Windows has become, I remember reading that article (or similar) earlier this year, where it was ultimately revealed that the guy really didn't understand what he was looking at. Regardless, it's only going to get worse, and I'm not a fan at all.

EDIT: Found the article that I was referring to. But to be clear, regardless of Mr. Bott's assessment, I don't believe people should have to jump through hoops to safeguard their privacy, which should be a natural right honored as a default.

Joe
Last edited by JoeFootball on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Should I try to get rid of Win 510?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Here is one more link showing extensive spying by MS windows 10
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... df01457aa9

And the other side
https://m.reddit.com/r/technology/comme ... mpact=true
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
erik2282

Post by erik2282 »

I reccommend buying an SSD for the laptop, if you dont have one already. Install Linux on it, and set up Windows on VirtualBox in case you need it, which you probably wont since you have that other laptop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”