Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxadore

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by linuxadore »

Hi.
Living with GNU/Linux more than decade. Not professionally connected at all, but addicted to computing more than sewing. Everything started after several Windows crash. That made me really mad, so I had installed Mandrake (not Mandriva!). Than Slackware (with LUG friend) on old PC, move to Ubuntu on laptop, SuperOS, Marianlinux, Ubuntu again. Used Live CD/DVDs of RIP Linux (excellent tool for forensic), Bodhi Linux (like Englightment artwork and KISS style), Ubuntu and SuperOS (several versions), Linuxmint 14. Last one saved me from Ubuntu 16.04 messed upgrade, so migrate to LinuxMint 18 on new Asus laptop to be able to burn and install Peppermint 7 on my 7 yrs old Acer laptop. Living in Serbia whole life. Some day in future hope to have a grandchild to educate using Linux. I am not programming at all, just solving probs. Google is my best friend. Glad to be here.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
GreenLynx

Post by GreenLynx »

Hello. I am a lady and a new one! I don't know much about Linux but I am jumping right in after getting rid of Windows completely. I look forward to learning - and not to worry.... I am a *slow* learner. :D

So when I ask dumb questions (which, I, of course, will) please don't roll your eyes and laugh. :P

Thanks for readin'.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums.

Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask

if you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question

And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard

some good tutorials can be found here.....http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hi GreenLynx, welcome! No worries, we all started out as newbies. And most of us only got smarter from then on, not dumber. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
heronstork

Post by heronstork »

Hi! I'm a lady!

Quick question: how come the forums aren't secured? Do I have to set permissions for this site to do that? I am so green still, haha. I installed last night!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

heronstork wrote:Quick question: how come the forums aren't secured? Do I have to set permissions for this site to do that? I am so green still, haha. I installed last night!
It's because not all our members have changed their avatar or signature image to a secure (https) link. While our entire forum is served over a secure connection, your browser shows it's not secure because these images from other websites are not served over a secure connection. Hence the current page isn't fully secure. In this case because of linuxadore's avatar image is a http link. On other pages on the forum it will show as secure; it depends on the image links other members shown on that page have used.
heronstork

Post by heronstork »

xenopeek wrote:
heronstork wrote:Quick question: how come the forums aren't secured? Do I have to set permissions for this site to do that? I am so green still, haha. I installed last night!
It's because not all our members have changed their avatar or signature image to a secure (https) link. While our entire forum is served over a secure connection, your browser shows it's not secure because these images from other websites are not served over a secure connection. Hence the current page isn't fully secure. In this case because of linuxadore's avatar image is a http link. On other pages on the forum it will show as secure; it depends on the image links other members shown on that page have used.
Ah!
periannath8

Post by periannath8 »

Hi! I'm a lady. I have been learning code for some time now and have grown fed up with windows and ios. So now I'm running Linux mint and I love it! Great to see a female specific thread :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

periannath8 wrote:So now I'm running Linux mint and I love it!
Welcome periannath8, good to see you made the jump! Please do ask any questions that you may have.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

Hellooo from Oz.

OMZ, this thread was begun on 13 Nov 2015, but i've only just discovered it today [despite being a frequent visitor, reader, lurker & sometimes poster here for a few years] ... what a silly thing i am for having not seen it before. It's funny [well, at least, it made me giggle] that i did stumble across it this morning in one of those pure examples of serendipity. I have the Chat about Linux Mint, Xfce, KDE, Installation fora bookmarked, & this morning after finishing reading new posts in that first one, accidentally kinda sorta "zoomed out" one step more than i usually do, which revealed this whole other table of topics i'd not known of, & one of the first my eyes settled on was this thread! Ha.

I think it's great this thread exists, so we women can have a little corner [cubicle? alcove?] that's ours [but at the same time it's almost a pity it does, in the sense that obviously there should be ideally a 50-50 split so that no perception of "rarity" existed for women who like getting down & geeky].

This thread also partly answered something i'd been wondering about over the past few years here... viz, were there any other women here? Often i could not easily tell from posts & avatars/names, but i must say there have also been multiple times that, even just from the writing style let alone the name &/or avatar, it couldn't have been anything other than a bloke writing it. :lol:

As seems to be a pretty common storyline, i'm also a Windows refugee [no, actually, escapee feels maybe more apt [ooh, Linux pun)], a few years ago, after Win7 had one huuuuuuuuge meltdown too many -- surely there had to be more to life than repairing &/or reinstalling Windows [then all the drivers, then all the programs...] yet again, so i thought to myself, "self, maybe it's about time you finally explored what this mysterious Linux thing is that you've heard muted whispers about, here & there". At first glance it was indeed mysterious, & scary, & intimidating, but it was also extraordinarily intriguing & fascinating, even seductive, so i looked a bit deeper, read more widely, discovered the brilliance of Virtual Machines, & ISOs, found that i had a choice of ~7*10^42 distros, DEs & WMs, after a few false starts discovered Mint, then therein discovered KDE4 [I suspect it might have been Mint 13, but almost immediately i discovered the then-current version was 16 so tried that in a VM], & decided that this was just pure blissful unmitigated magic & i wanted it!! Next came converting my Lappy [with its reinstalled Win7] to dual-boot with Mint 17 KDE4. I can still clearly remember how heavy a heart i always had every time i had to boot back from Mint to Win7; a definite feeling of moving back from lightness & infinity to darkness & claustrophobia.

Months went by & i slowly, pgm by pgm, researched & experimented to find Linux replacements for each "important" or "essential" Windows pgm on which i'd relied for years. Eventually i spent most of my booted time in Mint KDE, doing [nearly] everything there that i needed, with the final laggard being MS Outlook 2010 still tying me to having to boot back into Windows. Being a bit dim, i only later realised that i could stay booted in Mint all the time, & setup my Win in a VM within Mint for my Outlook 2010. Almost cake & eat it. To test this idea, i decided to treat myself to a nice new toy -- big fat Tower with SSD, & droolingly big HDD [so i could explore lots of other interesting distros in a gazillion new VMs]. This happily worked nicely, so i had a nice single-boot Mint 17.x KDE4 Tower in which i did everything i needed except PIM, for which i ran the Win[8.1] VM.

More time passed, more experimentation, & the final pieces of the puzzle fell gloriously into place, such that i now had a "composite-PIM" Linux solution that freed me from Outlook, & thus Windows. Eureka - yay! On the back of this proven success in Tower, i replicated the arrangement in Lappy, rebuilding it as also single-boot Mint KDE. Happy freedom.

Though i've subsequently wandered away from Mint for now, i remain immensely grateful to it for providing the vehicle by which i could discover this marvellous interesting exciting stimulating Linux world, & escape to it. It's been [& remains] great, liberating, educational, productive, & fun.

Oh dear, look at how much i've waffled on - sorry! It's ok; you can wake up again now. :roll:

PS: At one point during this timeline, Win10 became available, so i used Lappy's Win7 & Tower's Win 8.1 licences for the free upgrade [in the respective Win VMs i still keep on both PCs]. Win10 -- ugh, it's horrible. Thank goodness i don't have to use it :shock:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello kdemeoz,
Nice to hear from you! If I may ask, what is the distro you're using now?

kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

Oh, thank you Moem, how lovely. Tis Maui [see my footer / signature thingie]. It's a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS base, with Plasma5 from the KDE Neon repos on top as rolling-release, but curated by the Maui Devs. My firm expectation had been for many months in anticipation of the Mint 18 KDE release, that that's what i'd be upgrading my PCs to, but once available, sadly it disappointed me, so i had to find another solution which fitted my needs better.

I remain open to a future return, maybe in Mint 19 or 20 KDE, entirely depending on the direction its Plasma takes. Still, my disappointment with Mint 18 KDE facilitated me discovering Mint 18 Xfce+Compiz, with which i was highly impressed, & it briefly became my Lappy's OS. Eventually though Lappy also came into the Maui camp, coz as cool as Xfce+Compiz proved to be, i remain a KDE girl. :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The beauty of Linux is that almost everyone can find a distro that they really like and that works for them. Good job finding yours! :D

Flo420

Post by Flo420 »

Hello Everyone,

I downloaded Linux Mint 18 onto my new HP laptop per my boyfriends suggestion and I'm very happy i did! :D Linux is much easier to use than Windows 10 or Mac!
Glad to see there are other women on here and will refer here with questions i may have. I'm 100% a newbie, this is my first laptop and i have very very little experience with computers. That being said I am super happy i found this site!

My first question; I'm starting by learning how to use the terminal and getting used to all the applications, which application would you ladies recommend i try using? Is there a place that i can go to learn more about code and how to use it to my advantage?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello Flo! Personally I would start with an application that does something that I'm interested in doing. I like drawing; for me, it's interesting to learn how to use drawing software. But you may like writing, or listening to music. Maybe you want to learn how to code? So it all depends on what you want to use your computer for.
I have to say that I don't use the terminal much at all.

Here's a really good starter site for learning to use Linux: https://linuxjourney.com/
Enjoy!

Flo420

Post by Flo420 »

Thanks! Mainly would like to use my computer for my love of music and keeping all my writing and everyday documents organized. My boyfriend, however, is known as the "tech guy" and is planning on starting a tech repair business. As a solution to us not spending as much time together I decided to learn how to do all this as well and possibly one day helping him. That being said, do you know of any good software i could download to start learning to code? Is there software that can teach me? (i.e. a "how to") Lastly, I have been having problems with erasing software completely. I keep finding cashe? even though i have deleted said software from my computer.

I forgot to mention in my original post I'm using Linux Mint 18 Sarah on a HP 11.6 Stream Laptop
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

flo420
Welcome to the Mint family forums.
Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask
If you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question
And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Flo420 wrote:do you know of any good software i could download to start learning to code? Is there software that can teach me?
Sorry, I'm not a coder, I have no idea but I'm sure others can give you tips. Still, since you don't have much computer experience yet, maybe you might want to learn how to use programs before learning how to write them?
Flo420 wrote:Lastly, I have been having problems with erasing software completely. I keep finding cashe? even though i have deleted said software from my computer.
How have you deleted that software, what was the software, and where and how did you find remainders of it?

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Flo420 wrote:My first question; I'm starting by learning how to use the terminal and getting used to all the applications, which application would you ladies
recommend i try using? Is there a place that i can go to learn more about code and how to use it to my advantage?
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums. A good guide to get comfortable on the terminal and even cover more advanced topics (if you want) of writing scripts is: http://write.flossmanuals.net/command-l ... roduction/.

As for learning to code I would suggest you start with the Python programming language. Software Manager, Update Manager and other Linux Mint programs are written in it. To get started you just need a text editor and time (and perseverance :wink:). A good way to start learning can be https://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/ or The Hitchhiker's Guide to Python: http://docs.python-guide.org/ or a good book on Python for beginners.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”