Linux Mint 6 XFCE RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 6 XFCE RC1 Bug Thread

Post by clem »

This thread is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 6 XFCE RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Clem.
Steely

Re: Linux Mint 6 XFCE RC1 Bug Thread

Post by Steely »

Overall things work well in the RC except for the following :

When using the xchat-gnome irc client you cannot open links (urls) by clicking on them. You will receive an operation not supported error. You can right click and copy location and paste into a browser. If you use xchat instead then clicking on links works. Seeing that xchat-gnome is the default installed version this feature should work on the final.

When using the youtube plugin with totem you will get a location not found error when trying to view youtube videos. The plugin works properly on Xubuntu 8.10 .

Are there gnome / gtk components not included that are causing these problems ? I have also noticed that application startup times for several applications are much longer than in Mint 5 xfce .

Dale
fireice-LLH

Post by fireice-LLH »

there are "broken" dependencies in the repo, tried to install from the main edition the meta xfce package.

Code: Select all

mint-meta-xfce:
 Depends: xfcemint-doc  but it is not installable
 Recommends: python-exo  but it is not installable
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Merlwiz, can you upload these two packages. I'll add them to the repository.

Clem
ptchia

Post by ptchia »

I have been able to install Linux Mint last 2 years as it comes, but with Linux 6, and today the Xfce version, I was not able to install either.

During installation, at the stage when the partition program was called, the screen tended to blackout, Mint said Gnome display server crashed a few times last 90 seconds, somethign bad is happening wait 2 minute to try again - but no success, so I have to abandon installation, a few times - always at the same stage.

I use a 20 inch 'CHIMEI' LCD display, a NV43 - GeForce 6600LE video card. Currently running Window XP and a Linux Mint 'Elyssa', sharing on one partitioned disk

Thank you

ptchia
ptchia@gmail.com
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:Merlwiz, can you upload these two packages. I'll add them to the repository.

Clem
xfcemint-doc needs updated but I'll repackage the old one for Felicia, for now.
Looking at python-exo I found that they decided to drop that package.
I'll need to update the meta package.
Juicepig

Post by Juicepig »

I'm not sure that this qualifies as a bug, but it has not happened to me on any of the other LM6's that I have tried...
At the login screen, it will make the logged in sound like it was going to open the desktop, but then it makes the sound it makes when the login screen first comes up. It will cycle like this as many times as I put my user and pass in, but I cannot get into the desktop. The only solution I have is to reinstall, but I am a noob. Going into recovery mode and trying to "fix x server" does not help. The two times this has happened, I was messing with graphics related things. First I tried to enable "LCD system font" and second I was installing the Nvidia 96 driver through hardware manager. If you guys need any more info please let me know. Keep up the good work!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

dmk62 wrote:Overall things work well in the RC except for the following :

When using the xchat-gnome irc client you cannot open links (urls) by clicking on them. You will receive an operation not supported error. You can right click and copy location and paste into a browser. If you use xchat instead then clicking on links works. Seeing that xchat-gnome is the default installed version this feature should work on the final.

When using the youtube plugin with totem you will get a location not found error when trying to view youtube videos. The plugin works properly on Xubuntu 8.10 .

Are there gnome / gtk components not included that are causing these problems ? I have also noticed that application startup times for several applications are much longer than in Mint 5 xfce .

Dale
Installing gvfs should fix both of those.
Steely

Post by Steely »

Thanks merlwiz.

Installed gvfs and those problems are resolved. Installation of gvfs also cleared up some other minor issues with dialogue boxes using sdxx instead of the partition label and the load time of several applications is now faster. No effect on boot time either, and the boot time for mint 6 xfce is definitely faster than mint 5 xfce.

Keep up the great work !

Dale
szamot83

Post by szamot83 »

Hello,

I have installed this on my Dell Latitude 1720 laptop. It has I810 graphics card. I have got separate /home partition so I've installed new system with old partition.

1 After booting laptop I have opened The Menu and it hang. I could move mouse, but nothing was working.
I went into recovery mode and I have disabled (removed) compiz from autostart and removed compiz config folder from my ~, to clean everything. Without compiz system work without any issues. On Mint 5 XFCE CE compiz worked properly.
I have started to test with clean compiz and notice that sometimes compiz hangs with no reason and always when I pres Super+Tab or Alt+Tab.
2 Dell Latitude 1720 have numeric keyboard, but after installation those keys don't work. Without Num Lock they are working (I mean Home, PgUp etc.). When I press Num Lock numeric keyboard should be turned on, but there is no keys which are working. They worked in Mint 5 XFCE CE.
3 Dell also have Few additional buttons in front (Vol Up, Vol Dn, Next song, Play etc.) Those buttons also not working, but they are worked well in Mint 5.

I was using Mint 5 XFCE CE for 8 months, I do not have same or any issues, but my camera, mic don't work under 5, so I decided to move to 6. I was searching in Google for solutions of those problem, I have found some on Ubuntu forum, and follow them, but they only helped me to run my Web Cam. I don't found topics with my problem.

All peoples (on forum) says that I should install backport-modules-generic (sth like this, I do not remember name exacly) I have installed those and webcam start to work. I have installed modules appropriate to kernel.

Thats all for now.
I hope that it could be fixed.

Best regards.
Geert Kleinhout

Post by Geert Kleinhout »

Re.LM 6 XFCE RC1
At video display e.g. from CNN, after a few seconds the video freezes. I downloaded 2 copies with Mint 5: same results.

An other peculiarity: either one of them will not fully load and freezes when I load the live cd after I used Mint 5 installed. I
then proceeded loading Ubuntu 8.1 64 bit installed, exit same and the live cd XFCE Rc1 loads without trouble. I can exit and then load the other copy.
In other words: After using Mint 5 - which I used for down loading - the live cds will not load
Tomneko

Post by Tomneko »

hello. my just installed mint 6 xfce freeze when i'm turn on compiz fusion.
sorry about my low level of english. :oops:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I had this problem as well. I even posted my solution to it, though I'll be darned if I can find it. Anyway, to repeat, what I did was to uninstall synaptic (which will also remove a couple of dependencies - like aptoncd for example). Then reinstall synaptic (from apt-get of course because synaptic no longer exists) then reinstall the extras that the uninstall removed - particularly aptoncd. This pulled in quite a few dependencies (mostly from gnome) and after these dependencies had been reinstalled synaptic then worked normally.

You could of course try to shorten that process by simply uninstalling/reinstalling aptoncd and seeing if that worked, you might not have to remove synaptic at all.

Sorry but my solutions are nearly always based on trial and error rather than science!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

molakay wrote:Not sure this qualifies as bug since i've never used xfce before, but in synaptic the quick search function dont work i.e you can't even write in the field. You have to push the search button and search like in Mint 5 gnome..
Installing apt-xapian-index will fix that problem.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

molakay wrote:When i try to open following menu items i get an error..

xfce menu - settings - window manager settings

and

xfce menu - settings - window manager tweaks

I get following error

"These settings cannot work with your current window manager (unknown) "

This is a fresh install of xfce.
Were you using Compiz Fusion?
It won't work with it running and sometimes after it was running.
jollygrunt777

Post by jollygrunt777 »

I've got a dell e1505 with centrino duo, 2gb ram and an ati x1400. I used the hardware manager to install the ati drivers. The default desktop is 1680x1050. I run nexuiz at it's default settings with the screen rez at 1024x768. After I finish and close the game, the screen rez doesn't automatically go back to 1680x1050 without manually setting it. I've got no issues with other 3D games, and I'm not running compiz.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”