where to start troubleshooting shutdown problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wijnands

where to start troubleshooting shutdown problems

Post by wijnands »

Hi everyone,

After about a decade I decided to give linux on the desktop another go. So I grabbed 18.1 cinnamon 64bits and installed it on a second drive in the cdrom bay of my dell lattitude E6540. That all went well except for the fact that it won't shutdown.

PRessing the button on the start menu just freezes everything as does a shutdown desklet. Doing a shutdown -h now on the command prompt eventually kills the windwos but doesn't shutdown the system.

I suspect it's a driver issue but am not sure, also no real idea where to start fixing this, any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintage

Re: where to start troubleshooting shutdown problems

Post by mintage »

I am having this also. Used shut down, which kills screen and it goes into an unresponsive sleep mode (because it was shut down), little light indicating power status on when it should turn off. After a while the fan comes on. It blows cool air, nothing seems to heat up. I gave it two minutes, appears the fan is only thing running, but it is running around 85% by my guess. Pressing the power button for 4 seconds turns off fan and light. I'll get back if anything remarkable happens.
phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

Hello,

I had the same problem with version 18.1, it disappeared after an update.

Verify that the Intel driver is enabled for the processor (intel-microcode) on Control Center > Drivers. New version for lasted CPU downloadable at : https://sourceforge.net/projects/xanmod ... ode/intel/

If it not resolve your problem test the kernel 4.8 (Upgrade manager > View > Linux Kernel).

To force shutdown use this command on a terminal :

Code: Select all

init 0
Debian 12 Bookworm 64-bit Cinnamon (main system) in dual-boot with Windows 11 64-bit (for maximum hardware and software compatibility)
mintage

Post by mintage »

thanks. i'll try that.
init 0 sounds like it'd make a cool bumper sticker.
mintage

Post by mintage »

Man! That was awesome! It was like a laptop smack-down. BAM! OFF! DONE!

The laptop is shutting down without any of that rouge fan operation going on anymore. One smack-down and it is behaving now.

ThanKs! That worked like lightning. :twisted:
wijnands

Post by wijnands »

phil995511 wrote:Hello,

I had the same problem with version 18.1, it disappeared after an update.

Verify that the Intel driver is enabled for the processor (intel-microcode) on Control Center > Drivers. New version for lasted CPU downloadable at : https://sourceforge.net/projects/xanmod ... ode/intel/

If it not resolve your problem test the kernel 4.8 (Upgrade manager > View > Linux Kernel).
I'm sorry but that first suggestion is rather beyond me.

What I got is in the screenshot
Screenshot from 2017-01-01 09-45-15.png
and I would greatly appreciate a bit more detailed help what to do now.
wijnands

Post by wijnands »

additionally init 0 also freezes the system.
phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

@ wijnands

Have you tested the kernel 4.8 to see if this solved the problem ? Upgrade manager (on right taskbar) > View > Linux Kernel > 4.8 > select and install 4.8.0-32 kernel then reboot.

Otherwise try :

sudo apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y
Debian 12 Bookworm 64-bit Cinnamon (main system) in dual-boot with Windows 11 64-bit (for maximum hardware and software compatibility)
mintage

Post by mintage »

Thanks for letting out that Linux kernel info. It seems I am using 4.4.0-53. I did not know that. Thanks. :mrgreen:
phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

A command line display the kernel in use :

uname -r
wijnands

Post by wijnands »

phil995511 wrote:@ wijnands

Have you tested the kernel 4.8 to see if this solved the problem ? Upgrade manager (on right taskbar) > View > Linux Kernel > 4.8 > select and install 4.8.0-32 kernel then reboot.

Otherwise try :

sudo apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y
That did it. I've been shy with kernel updates ever since a 2.5 upgrade went sour back in the day. However this upgeade went smooth and painless and it now shuts down

Thanks for the help everyone!
mintage

Post by mintage »

I started having the shutdown issue again, while working with Clonezilla and sound issue. Two separate activities. Came back to this and tried the
suggestion.
Switching
to: intel micro-code 201101...
fixed the shutdown thing again, but now I have no sound at all.

so following the rest of the suggestion to go to update the kernel
I noticed a lot of error messages that say
Bad return status for module build on kernel 4.8.0-32.generic(x86-64)
See /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-guest/5.0.24/build/make.log for information

I see the information, but as far as what it means, it looks like something happened while making files and what I see on the GRUB (if it shows up) will be facades to a mutilated unstable kernel. is 4.8.0-32 a stable kernel?
sncalaska

Post by sncalaska »

the intel driver seems to be the issue on my mint 18.1 cinnamon serena. Should i try that kernel? i'll do a little more research.
mintage

Post by mintage »

Using the kernel to 4.8.0-32 booted normally and fixed the shutdown problem. Selected Do not use option in Command Center > Driver Manager, rebooted. Sound returned for user with elevated privileges to include mp3, system sounds. System sounds for Desktop user are not selectable and do not work. Since the device shuts down as expected, I am off to my sound thread again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”