KDE Plasma 5.8

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

KDE Plasma 5.8

Post by clem »

MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Re: KDE Plasma 5.8

Post by MMcD488 »

This is great news! I just installed Plasma 5.8 and it looks great!
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
irishlander

Post by irishlander »

Hi thankxs for the update.
My Question is - will i have problems when i would like to upgrade from my Mint KDE 18.0 Version to the upcoming Mint KDE 18.1 Version?

kind regards
Irishlander
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

Thanks for the update for Plasma 5.8.4! It is much more stable than the 5.6 version that was available when Mint 18 KDE was released. So far no KWin crashes and all widgets work as expected. I am looking forward to Mint 18.1 KDE and hope it come with Plasma 5.8.4 LTS version.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Clem and & Everyone Else Interested in this,

Thanks Clem for the Update information.

I have been using Plasma 5.8 (5.8.4) for the past couple days, and it is so much better than previous versions. I have been testing Linux Mint KDE 18 for months now, but It has been "quirky". With this new update, I might now switch from Linux Mint 17.3 KDE to Linux Mint 18 KDE permanently, although I still miss some applications and features from the previous Plasma 4, like customizable virtual desktops (workspaces) with their own icons and widgets and wallpaper, Knemo, etc... Yes, I know that KDE "Activities" can act like virtual desktops (workspaces) to some degree with custom wallpapers, icons, & widgets, but it is still not as easy to use or as convenient as the previous plasma's virtual desktops (workspaces), ex: cannot sort and resize all icons (launchers) at onetime in "folder" view, etc... Supposedly one or more of the KDE developers was going to provide the previous Plasma 4 version's customizable virtual desktops and all its features for Plasma 5, anyone know what is happening with that?

Interestingly, my system updated to Plasma 5.8 using just the normal Kubuntu Backports PPA on its own. I did not have to install their "Landing" (ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports-landing) PPA.

Best regards ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

o-l-d wrote:Thanks for the update for Plasma 5.8.4! It is much more stable than the 5.6 version that was available when Mint 18 KDE was released. So far no KWin crashes and all widgets work as expected. I am looking forward to Mint 18.1 KDE and hope it come with Plasma 5.8.4 LTS version.

Just did an update using Update Manager and now have Plasma 5.8.5 installed. I will continue testing with it and wait for Linux Mint 18.1 to use the version recommended by Clem and the development team.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Darn I just went back to 17.3 from 18 because the plasma was too buggy to be productive.

I still have 18 on another partition, I will have to give 5.8 a try.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

rdonnelly wrote:Darn I just went back to 17.3 from 18 because the plasma was too buggy to be productive.

I still have 18 on another partition, I will have to give 5.8 a try.

The Mint and Kubuntu teams have done a good job testing and since Clem posted the proper Kubuntu backports to install Plasma 5.8 in Linux Mint 18 KDE I have been very happy with the bug fixes and compatibility issues that have been resolved with the latest versions of Plasma 5.8. It has matured to the point now that Plasma 5.8.4 is being called LTS by KDE developers.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I love it and it performs well even on my netbook.
-H
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

I tried it with 5.8 but maybe I have old hardware? The performance of the KDE in 17.3 is much better. Eventually I will have to go with plasma, but for now I am going to ride out the 17.3 version with 4.13.2 KDE. At least the Plasma did not go through a radical change the way Gnome 1 did, the reason I switched to KDE.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Return to “Releases & Announcements”