[SOLVED] dmesg output question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintage

[SOLVED] dmesg output question

Post by mintage »

I kept seeing dmesg in troubleshooting posts, and tried to figure out what it does or how to use it.
When I enter:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep -i usb
dmesg | grep -i dma
dmesg | grep -i memory
nothing happens.

When I enter:

dmesg | less
it outputs hundreds of lines of a really colorful repeating error with PCEi bus Correcting id=00e5 like:

[23761.292460] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: AER: Corrected error received: id=00e5
[23761.293103] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: can't find device of ID00e5
[23761.293120] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: AER: Corrected error received: id=00e5
[23761.293127] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, id=00e5(Receiver ID)
[23761.293129] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5:   device [8086:9d15] error status/mask=00000001/00002000
[23761.293131] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5:    [ 0] Receiver Error
Is this a normal output for dmesg?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: dmesg output question

Post by all41 »

man dmesg
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

mintage,

It is surprising that the three dmesg|greps doesn't give you any results, The grep of usb returns 86 lines for me

[bill@XPS] ~/Downloads $ dmesg | grep -i usb|wc -l
I also get results from the other two :?

In any event you might have run into a kernel bug, According to this post if you try pci=nomsi it might eliminate the error spam.

The error reported here is very similar and suggests adding pci=noaer to your kernel command line.

Good luck :wink:
mintage

Post by mintage »

I updated the kernel to 4.8.0-32. I am still getting this "error spam" i believe it is called. I don't know how to add things to the kernel command line, and just what to expect. I find there is so much information on this I just spend hours trying to find something relevant and understandable.

I do understand that between the /var/log/(syslog & kern.log) i have almost 16 GB of text of the error described above.

Jan  1 11:44:43 mint-HP-Notebook kernel: [  321.570468] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: AER: Multiple Corrected error received: id=00e5
Jan  1 11:44:43 mint-HP-Notebook kernel: [  321.571124] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, id=00e5(Receiver ID)
Jan  1 11:44:43 mint-HP-Notebook kernel: [  321.571130] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5:   device [8086:9d15] error status/mask=00000001/00002000
Jan  1 11:44:43 mint-HP-Notebook kernel: [  321.571134] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5:    [ 0] Receiver Error        
Jan  1 11:44:43 mint-HP-Notebook kernel: [  321.571143] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: AER: Corrected error received: id=00e5
Jan  1 11:44:43 mint-HP-Notebook kernel: [  321.571787] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: can't find device of ID00e5
Jan  1 11:44:43 mint-HP-Notebook kernel: [  321.571790] pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: AER: Corrected error received: id=00e5
I would like to present this to HP to see if they would have an idea what this means, but I don't know how to tell them what the problem is. Any suggestions would be nice.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I wouldn't know how to contact HP, but to add the kernel parameter you would edit a line in /etc/default/grub then update the grub menu.

gksu xed /etc/default/grub&
Look for the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= and whatever the contents are add pci=nomsi at the beginning or the end inside the quotes.

I don't remember the original content, but mine looks like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pcie_aspm=off debug=vt"

I needed the pcie_aspm=off parameter to get this thing to boot.

After you save the file run sudo update-grub in the terminal and reboot.

If that parameter isn't any help then use the same procedure to try pci=noaer

Good luck :wink:
mintage

[SOLVED] Did I mention that I appreciate the help?

Post by mintage »

The Linux community is really the only place to get Linux answers it seems. So thank you for your input. I really am up a creek here. I read in the HP forum you aren't "a real Linux user until you've compiled your own kernel". (Ironic, coming from there.) I was kinda hoping to put that off for later.

Contacted HP. they have an HP Smart Friend program that costs 35USD to set up, 11.xxUSD/month with a 70+USD early termination fee if you cancel before the anniversary date and; by the way, they "only provide support for Microsoft Software."

I expected nothing less, but I was scared of the text I found in the etc/default/grub file. :mrgreen:
I made a grubbkup just in case.
rebooting...
result...

was:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
is:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi"

sudo grub-update
dmesg is now green and probably coherent without the multi-color repeating error. JUBILATION! Thanks for your helpful suggestion WharfRat!
WharfRat

Re: [SOLVED] Did I mention that I appreciate the help?

Post by WharfRat »

mintage wrote:I read in the HP forum you aren't "a real Linux user until you've compiled your own kernel". (Ironic, coming from there.) I was kinda hoping to put that off for later.
Well you might as well get it over with then - it's not that hard.

Just kidding :D

Glad to hear that the kernel parameter worked for you :wink:
mintage

Re: [SOLVED] dmesg output question

Post by mintage »

Laughing for a good while on that one. I see that kernel building is a distant prospect for me. Thank you again.

Referring to The size of the log files in /var/log gets out of hand to clear out about 20GB of repeating errors.
WharfRat

Re: [SOLVED] dmesg output question

Post by WharfRat »

First try sudo /usr/sbin/logrotate -fv /etc/logrotate.conf to force a rotatation of the logs,

It's probably the error spam that caused it to swell so since that has been addressed it should be OK now.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] Did I mention that I appreciate the help?

Post by Flemur »

WharfRat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:28 am
mintage wrote:I read in the HP forum you aren't "a real Linux user until you've compiled your own kernel". (Ironic, coming from there.) I was kinda hoping to put that off for later.
Well you might as well get it over with then - it's not that hard.
Just kidding :D
Glad to hear that the kernel parameter worked for you :wink:
"Compiled my first kernel - it was easy." - by Me!
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=113329
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Beginner Questions”