[Solved] Skype for Mint 18 32 bit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobfunduro

[Solved] Skype for Mint 18 32 bit

Post by bobfunduro »

Hi all.

Can anyone point me to Skype that'll run on Mint 18 32 bit?

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Skype for Mint 18 32 bit

Post by JoeFootball »

Submitted without endorsement: Skype for Linux

Joe
bobfunduro

Post by bobfunduro »

Hi Joe

There's a choice of 6 distributions - any idea which one? I tried the 'dynamic' version which downloaded ok but I can't get it to run.

Regards
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

I would try the Ubuntu 12.04 multiarch version as it's the latest Ubuntu-based option.

Joe
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Have you looked in the Software Manager? That's always the first place to look.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
bobfunduro

Post by bobfunduro »

Ah - thanks so much - that was so easy! I spent so much time trying to find an answer 'Googling'.

It might seem repetitive to the initiated with this sort of question but believe me, as a newbie, you save so much frustration. I've learnt so much in the last half hour.
Cheers.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [Solved] Skype for Mint 18 32 bit

Post by phd21 »

Hi "bobfunduro",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It is always preferred to look for and install software that is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) first. Then, if you want a more current version of some software that is available through some other means like a PPA or easy to install Linux ".deb" file, then look elsewhere on the web, or in this forum. Sometimes there is really good software that is not available in the Mint repositories (Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)) so you have to go to their website to download the software and get installation instructions.

Just for your information (FYI): Skype is not a secure means of communication. There are however secure chat messaging applications like Skype that are available, like my favorite "qTox" (QTox), uTox, "Ring", Linphone, Jitsi, Ekiga, and some others. There are many posts in this forum on this topic, just search for "Skype" or "Skype alternatives", etc... The developers of the original Skype have come up with another application that is supposed to be secure called "Wire", but I have never used it before.

"qTox" - There are easy to download and install Linux ".deb" files for "qTox" available in the link below, click "Grab binary packages directly" at the bottom of the page, select the appropriate version for your Linux Mint system and computer(s), like:

Packages for Linux Mint 18 see section for "xUbuntu 16.04", click the 32-bit or 64-bit link.
Packages for Linux Mint 17.x see section for "xUbuntu 14.04", click the 32-bit or 64-bit link.

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... ckage=qtox

All you have to do is double click the ".deb" file to install it, if it does not start to install automatically.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Solved] Skype for Mint 18 32 bit

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for that description phd21.
I tried the link you provide, but I get the error message: "no such site", or something similar.
I am intending to install qTox in my Dell32 bit computer, which is my backup computer. The ASUS 64 bit that I usually use (as per my signature) is down waiting for a new hard drive.
I have looked at other sites for downloads of qTox, but they seem unnecessarily complex and convoluted to my level of experience.
For example: https://github.com/qTox/qTox/blob/master/INSTALL.md

One function I would like is to talk to a buddy who uses Skype. Is qTox compatible with a Skype recipient? ie. Can I talk to Skype users through qTox?

Jim.

edit: error message attached.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM

Return to “Beginner Questions”