Do you use LibreOffice?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Do you use LibreOffice?

Yes
82%
No
8%
Rarely
10%
Don't care
1%

Total votes: 133

Lemongrass38

Re: Do you use LibreOffice?

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Yes, I use it, but mostly for my own files, etc. budget planning and such. I like it, it's just as fast as MS Office. For "work" I use MS Office in Virtualbox because I don't wish to make this happen again. :)

I've had a few cases when LibreOffice somehow couldn't handle .docx files well that I had to work with, others told me that the file is fallen apart graphically (and it really was). That was when I used it on Windows. Does anybody know what could be the reason for that?

The text was fine, but images, graphics were scattered.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I've been a Libre Office user for longer than I've been a Linux user. I started moving towards open source software years ago; when I wanted to make the switch from Windows to Linux Mint, that served me well.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I use Libre Office about once per year, if I get a document that can not be read any other way. In other words, it is a document reader, for me - nothing more.

A very long time ago, I had the problem of transferring files from home (linux) to work (Windows). My solution was to create all documents in html. So now, years later, I have hundreds of documents in html or .txt, and zero original documents in any other format.

I use the Seamonkey Composer to create html documents - and can edit the html source code, if necessary to fine-tune things. So all my documents can be read in any web browser, in any OS, and pasted into any email with formatting preserved.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

The format problem in LO Writer is easily resolved converting odt to pdf. I always send pdfs to other persons that don't use open formats. When is absolutely necessary to send also a docx version, I send three files: pdf, docx and odt.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
BEeK

Post by BEeK »

When I discovered OpenOffice, I thought: "Oh, finally something that will make MSOffice obsolete and in the dust".

But it seems LibreOffice is more popular now, and I use it... Microsoft Office can be fully ignored now as there are no reasons to use and waste money with it.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

sphyrth wrote:For those worried about the Ribbon-like UI:
As already stated, it will only be an OPTION. The Document Foundation is somewhat trying to make a revolutionary statement by allowing users to "Choose your UI" rather than "Here's the UI, take it or leave it" approach. Yeah, KingSoft Office already had that feature, but it didn't make that much impact.

I'm just going to try that Notebook UI for the sake of it. But when it comes to preference, I'm leaning towards the one-line toolbar and sidebar UI.
The MS ribbon didn't make any impact either when it was first introduced. First time I saw it, it didn't make me say, "efficient, more accessible, less mouse clicks, space saving..." I thought it's just another useless design by some designer at MS who thought it cute to introduce something unique. Of course, users have to get use to it since it's another one of those take it or leave it situation they have to adapt to.

Imho, the side bar makes more sense because horizontal space is more plentiful. This ribbon thing is a remnant of the past when monitors are shaped like squares. There was even a time when portrait-shaped monitors proliferated because people were huge into word processing. Years later, it became about watching videos on a monitor and thus they are now wider than taller. This ribbon thing even looks crowded and cramped when using it in a small laptop.

Ultimately, the idea of offering OPTIONS is far more palatable and forward looking than this take it or leave it direction.
Lemongrass38

Post by Lemongrass38 »

xfrank wrote:The format problem in LO Writer is easily resolved converting odt to pdf. I always send pdfs to other persons that don't use open formats. When is absolutely necessary to send also a docx version, I send three files: pdf, docx and odt.
Thank you for the idea, I'll try it! :)
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Do you use LibreOffice?

Yes.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

thom_A wrote:...This ribbon thing is a remnant of the past when monitors are shaped like squares....
So that's why I have no problem adapting to it! I still have my 1024x768 monitor with me. (Please don't laugh. If still it works, then I'll keep using it)

I think I HAVE to see for myself what this ribbon thing looks like with a modern monitor.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

Yes, I use LibreOffice. I mostly use Calc for financial formulas in spreadsheets. I like it and it's free....
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

I've been using OO on and off then on to LO when it became an option. I just cannot find a decent way of getting Base to open a dbase that was created with Access though.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

Yes, I use LibreOffice on occasion. I used it extensively earlier this year while job-hunting; it handles résumés and cover letters quite well, and converted to PDF or DOCX well enough for email use.
thom_A wrote:... There was even a time when portrait-shaped monitors proliferated because people were huge into word processing. Years later, it became about watching videos on a monitor and thus they are now wider than taller. This ribbon thing even looks crowded and cramped when using it in a small laptop.
Portrait monitors are still made; they're quite popular in the medical imaging field. At the hospital where I once worked, the typical radiologist reading/dictation setup included a standard 4x3 master monitor and four large specialty portrait monitors for displaying X-ray, CT and other images.

At my current job, I usually have one monitor in my dual-display setup turned portrait. It allows me to see larger sections of code without scrolling; it's great for those "quick 'n' dirty" SQL requests.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

yup calc, impress and mostly writer

I haven't used anything else for years, probably since around 2004 when it was first open office
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

dXTC wrote:Portrait monitors are still made; they're quite popular in the medical imaging field. At the hospital where I once worked, the typical radiologist reading/dictation setup included a standard 4x3 master monitor and four large specialty portrait monitors for displaying X-ray, CT and other images.

At my current job, I usually have one monitor in my dual-display setup turned portrait. It allows me to see larger sections of code without scrolling; it's great for those "quick 'n' dirty" SQL requests.
Actually, most monitors nowadays can be rotated in portrait position, and most OS'es have options for such orientation. Linux Mint itself has that option. It even allows you to rotate it 180 degrees. Except that most of these monitors are not physically designed to be rotated and you'll have to find a way to rotate it as easily as rotating an electric fan's blade by doing some hardware hocus pocus.

I guess my point was since most monitors are orientated in landscape, software developers need to adjust their UI ideas and focus on the horizonal screen real estate space, which is plentiful. It doesn't hurt adding UI options for all types of users. Instead of saying, "here's my ribbon design, take it or leave it," they can say, "here's one option among many." LibreOffice's is adding the ribbon UI in its next release, correct me if I'm wrong. Emphasis is "adding," not replacing the current one.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/12/libr ... -interface
lexon

Post by lexon »

Still wonder a lot these years why I am still asked if I want to save an obviously blank page?
lol

L
BEeK

Post by BEeK »

lexon wrote:Still wonder a lot these years why I am still asked if I want to save an obviously blank page?
lol

L
If you "touch" on the file it is not blank anymore... That may be its philosophy.
thraxsa

Post by thraxsa »

I recently complete an assignment for my studies on it. Used Writer, and imported it into a PDF for submission and it worked like a charm !!

Love the fact that their are many extensions available so you can totally customise it to how you want :)
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

No i don't like LO, hence don't use it.

I do suspect however, that if i had always been a Linux user, &/or had not over decades accumulated a large amount of MS Office docs, spreadsheets & PPs, & not developed a kind of "muscle memory" for how to do stuff & where all my fav commands were in MS Office, & had not over those same decades needed to share my & others' MS Office files for work, then i likely would use LO, & would probably also like it. I suspect my dislike of it is probably largely not its fault at all, but merely a byproduct of my "conditioning".

My history being what it is though, renders LO quite unpalatable for me. Unlike seemingly some/many others herein, i not only like the MS Office 2010 Ribbon interface, it is very hard [for me] to do without it now. So that's another black mark against LO [for me; i am not generalising here]. LO notionally can save user files in .docx, .xlsx, .pptx format, & read/use existing files of those types from MS Office. My own experiments with this claim varied from "disappointing" to "catastrophic".

Hence once i'd moved from Win to Linux a few years ago, & discovered my incompatibility with LO, i had to find something better... & initially there was nada [though i tried many]. One day i discovered WPS Office, tested it extensively over the course of many weeks, valued its overt MSOffice'ishness, researched & discovered FireJail so i could sandbox it to stop it calling home to China, weighed up its pros & cons, then decided that whilst far from perfect, it was [& remains] my best match so far in Linux for an office suite, so i adopted it. I have used it extensively ever since.

Whenever a major new LO version appears, i try it out, as i remain attracted to the concept of it... but each time the gap between it & my needs has been too big.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I use it, but it is a Microsoft world. I have issues with formatting when pulling in .docx files and have to reformat them to make them look right.

It would be really cool if MS would just say, "Hey, let's be a "world citizen" and have all our stuff work with other office suites". Ha ha.

I'm not booting into Windows just to make a file look good.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Yes. And OO before that.
Have been writing receipts, and keeping ledgers with it for quite some time.
IMO is better than MS, for one you can export to PDF easily, and email someone who don't have MS office a receipt.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”