Is it possible?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
invex
Level 3
Level 3

Is it possible?

Post by invex »

I use 18.1 Cinnamon.
When I click on start menu 'All Applications' is the default view.
Is it possible to change it so 'Places' would be the default view?
TIA
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Is it possible?

Post by Cosmo. »

No, all applications is always the default display.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

There is another Menu applet called Configurable Menu that appears to have a lot more options. But I don't know if it does what you want to do. I suppose if one had enough ambition, you could get the source code for the Menu applet and add the features you want.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Hmmm. Apparently applets are written in JavaScript. I am not a JavaScript programmer, but I looked through the source. I'd bet that would be a pretty simple change for somebody that knows JavaScript.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
invex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by invex »

Thank you for your replies.
I never look at program icons (except Favorites). I always search.
Imho, Places would be more useful than All Applications.
Plus the menu would look cleaner.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Perhaps you would like the Mate menu:
Mate.png
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Hi, invex.

Gio library provide icons in an asynchronous way, this mean, that when you opened the menu you will see how the icons are loading and thats lock bad and take time. There are an internal class in the cinnamon API called St.TextureCache. This class help to load an icon texture from a Gio.icon and store it in a way that not need to be reloaded any more. Then, in the first time that you open the menu the texture it's create and will added a cache for it, because as a clutter restriction the paint function just occurs when the actor it' s visible (this is for performance). Well, we want a faster menu, and this will only occurs if we preload the texture. But to preload the texture the icons will need to be visible. How the only category that show all icons it's the all application, the first time that the menu was load and opened we want to select this convenient category, because help to load all icons texture.

If you change this category, then you not load the texture for all icons in the first time and the menu will be slow to change the categories, because will need to load the icons of the categories that was not load in the initialization. This is why this is not configurable in configurable menu. If some days we found a way to do that in a better way, probably will be added an option to select the default category.
invex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by invex »

Thank you very much for your answer.

One more question which could be called 'Is it possible?'.

I'm using an extension which allows me to double click panel to minimize current active window.
If no window is active and I double click the panel then Deskop gets minimized.
Is it possible to disable Desktop minimization?

TIA

Return to “Newbie Questions”