Firefox uses a ton of RAM/Memory

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garda

Re: Firefox uses a ton of RAM/Memory

Post by garda »

Firefox does consume more memory compared to other web browsers such as Opera. However, it never consumes more than 250-something MB on any of my systems, be it the Windows or Linux version. And that is after hours of heavy use.

General troubleshooting method would be to disable all Firefox extensions (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions), use the default skin (Tools > Add-ons > Themes) then see how much it takes up your RAM with such basic setup. If it turns out that it takes far less memory than before, you can tell for sure that the memory leak is caused by one of the add-ons or the skin you use.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

I recommend visiting http://forums.mozillazine.org which is the Firefox forums. tons of help there and a great community to solve your problems. your best be would to be try a new profile, in terminal type, firefox -P and that will bring up the Firefox profile manager. Create a new one and see if your problem still exists. Of course none of your tweaks and addons will be in the new profile but visit those forums to get help on transferring settings and stuff.
alun_sundry

Post by alun_sundry »

Do you know about Swiftfox? An adaptation of Firefox with different versions for different - even quite old - processors. I've just started using it to beef up a 1.3 ghz/ 512 mb machine and am pleased with the difference. The download is a deb file so it's no bother at all and all Firefox settings incl Bookmarks are automatically carried into it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”