general despair

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

general despair

Post by fastdave »

This one's pitiful - Some years ago I installed Ubuntu after Susie, and the result was great - I had installed it without altering windows, but hadn't partitioned the disk. To my surprise, I was able to see all the files from past folders, and since this included lots of family 'photos, I was delighted. That ran for quite a long time, but unfortunately my work computers are * windows, and since I communicate from home quite a lot, *domineering windows remained on my other computer.
Now I have a company laptop, with - yes, you've guessed, * windows.
At the weekend, I picked up Linux mint - went to my computer, ran the check on the disk as suggested, and went to install. Since it didn't ask me if I wanted to partition, I didn't bother.
It installed, looked very good, and suggested I update. I accepted.
I left it on it's own for a while - then returned to a screen which said I had a problem, and input Login - ctl - and I can't remember what the rest of it was - I didn't have a clue what to do, and the keyboard was unresponsive. after numerous boots, and lines which had GRUB- or messages which I shall copy to the board tonight, I have given up before I do too much damage - Any suggestions (no rude ones please). I have also tried rebooting from the disk, to no avail.
Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: general despair

Post by JoeFootball »

fastdave wrote:... returned to a screen which said I had a problem ...
Are there any details that you could provide with this screen? e.g., what did it say was the problem?

Joe
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello
Please specify what are you trying to do?
Retrieve windows , Mint ? What is your Mint and Windows version ?
Did you choose install alongside Windows option during installation?
The screenshots of install process
http://www.tecmint.com/linux-mint-18-in ... ion-guide/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can try supergrub2 to rescue .

http://www.supergrubdisk.org
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

Thank you for your swift replies, your help is very much appreciated.
Mint worked - I could even see the windows files of pictures - I switched off and went to bed - came back to update, and it stopped with the following message -
login ctl unlock - sessions ctrl+alt+f2 then ctrl alt f7 - no keyboard - switch off - grub-
hadn't a clue what to do at this stage, although I once knew - postpone till I dig out my linux books - switch on again -
26.392067] timeout waiting for dsp reply
26.451766] no firmware (file not found)
These are the messages on startup - I'm still trying to preserve a whole load of 'word' files, and if need be, I have a rescue disc for windows which takes away the ? and restores sensible files (latent), but I am a DOS person from the age before PC's - the age of assemblers and motorola 68000, and at my age, I get anti jargon syndrome - coupled with my asbergers, HELP!
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

Ahh, and the windows is 7 and it's mint 18 KDE - I'm impatiently trying to reload it now, and it came up with about a dozen error messages, and now has the mint symbol quietly flashing away - if I wasn't an alcoholic, it would drive me to drink (Joke)
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

Still learning forum page - how do I get a screenshot when I can't get in, and from whence do I summon supergrub - thanks everybody
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

fastdave wrote:I could even see the windows files of pictures ... I'm still trying to preserve a whole load of 'word' files
If you're speaking to files that are on your hard drive that you'd like to safeguard, you can use the Linux Mint DVD/USB (which you used to install) to run in a live session to retrieve said files from the hard drive. If you don't have a backup of them, this would be the first order of business that I'd attend to, regardless of Linux Mint.

Joe
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

Thank you Joe, not terribly sure what you mean by 'speaking to', but I dont know how to run a live session - I shall attack that just now, to acheive a live session - Q - are you in Britain or America - for timescale.
Dave.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

The live session means booting your Mint DVD or USB.
The Mint operating system on the DVD or USB includes a File Manager, which you can use to copy files from your hard drive to a flash drive or to a USB hard drive - just to make sure they are safely backed up.
The live Mint DVD or USB also has firefox, if you need it to post here.
Boot your Mint DVD or USB.
Open a terminal ( ctrl+alt+t ),
Install boot-info-script:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install boot-info-script
Then run the script:

Code: Select all

sudo bootinfoscript --stdout | pastebin
Post the resulting URL link that displays in the terminal.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

Just tried 'compatibility mode - got asked for password after huge stream of DOS commands and errror messages - now got cursor arrow and blank screen - HD chuntering away.......
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

fastdave wrote:... I dont know how to run a live session ...
If I'm remembering correctly, that's the default for Linux Mint when you boot from the DVD or USB installation media, where if you were installing, you have to select "Install Linux Mint" from an icon on the desktop (which you won't do for this effort).

This live session would be Linux Mint running off the DVD or USB, not the hard drive, where you can then leverage it to access the files on the hard drive, and copy them to UDB, CD, etc.
fastdave wrote:Q - are you in Britain or America - for timescale.
America. UTC -6.

Joe
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

Whoopeee!!!! got me mint screen up - now proceed with caution.....
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

All of this is appreciated guys - I'm having live trauma over here in Bonnie Scotland - I now have a file manager who has 2 drives - one 487.0 and one 463.3 (Gig), but I don't know where to look for my 'word docs' or 'photo's - anu suggestions?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

fastdave wrote:I now have a file manager who has 2 drives - one 487.0 and one 463.3 (Gig), but I don't know where to look for my 'word docs' or 'photo's - anu suggestions?
Is one of those your Windows partition? All files should be right where you left them in Windows. e.g., /Users/your.name/My Documents or similar.

Joe
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

Sorry, that should have been 'any suggestions - I ws euphoric in getting an kind of screen - you're right - save the files first - in the meantime, this machine is not getting switched off! (the desktop running mint.
Dave
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

Only docs I can see doesn't seem to have anything
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

Yeah, it really seems to be devoid of files, I can see home, dave, documents, then nothing - getting tired now....
but thanks, mate, you've all been inspiration - I shall persevere - persevere perserandum.
Dave
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

It's my recollection that Windows 7 typically defaults to saving documents in /Users/YourName/My Documents, and picture files in /Users/YourName/My Pictures, but I'd imagine you'd have been able to save them anywhere. Do you recall?

I concede that my Windows knowledge is limited.

Joe
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fastdave »

If you're still online, Joe, thankyou for your help - I am now speaking from Linux mint on the aforementioned blinkin windows computer - or as the say here in the far north - windaes.
I am going to leave it running and got to bed - It's past my bedtime and I need to work tomorrow.
Thanks again for getting me this far.

Return to “Beginner Questions”