Timeshift

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benslinux

Timeshift

Post by benslinux »

New to this forum, but huge fan of Linux and longtime user of Linux Mint and Ubuntu. I have my Linux Mint PC (17.1) working exactly as I want it, so I'd like to create a backup of my entire system. I see Timeshift listed as a good choice for that. But how does it work - does it create an image? a file? And where should that backup be saved - a USB drive? Obviously, not on the PC itself in case I experience a crash. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Timeshift

Post by xenopeek »

I think its homepage http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html answers those questions. As noted there, it only backs up system files not user files. To backup your own files you need another program.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can use clonezilla to clone your system.you can make a bootable usb
http://clonezilla.org
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

When I want to make a complete backup image of my entire hard drive, I use Clonezilla Live, where I completely shutdown (i.e., no suspend, no hibernate, no sleep, etc.) all instances of OS, and boot to Clonezilla Live on CD or USB. This allows me to have completely unmounted access to the entire hard drive.

Joe
benslinux

SOLVED - Re: Timeshift

Post by benslinux »

Thanks guys - I think it is clonezilla that I'm after.
LamphunLumyai
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LamphunLumyai »

Last year I had the exact same questions. I tried out a number of different products to come up with a disaster recovery plan.

What I settled on was using Clonezilla to back up my partitions. The interface looks a little daunting at first, but once you have gotten though the process of backing a partition (or an entire drive) it's pretty straight forward. Same with recovery. If you have any questions about a simply backup and recovery just ask.

But I also use Timeshift. If you are an ex-MS Windows using, you can envision Timeshift to be like Windows Restore Point but more reliable. It's saved my bacon more than once as I've done 'ignorance newbie stuff' when I first started using Mint over a year ago. Over the last year the User Interface has become a little more robust, but for the average newbie you can simply accept the defaults. The only tweek I made was to save my snapshots to my home partitions (I have separate partitions for / and /home and my /home partition is significantly larger. I also disabled automatic snapshots. I believe the last Timeshift update (16.10.6) set those as default.

There are others in this forum who also use Back-in-Time for backup purposes. I find the combination of Clonezilla and Timeshift adequate for my disaster recovery needs as a simple end-user. But if you feel a need to be able to back up and restore individual files then you may want to add Back-in-Time to your repertoire. Best of luck!
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

xenopeek wrote:I think its homepage http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html answers those questions. As noted there, it only backs up system files not user files. To backup your own files you need another program.
It backs up Home too, you just include it in the advanced options tab. To the OP, I've used it to backup and clone my Linux systems for years... more importantly, I've restored successfully many times without error (I like to experiment (break ;) ) things)

Return to “Beginner Questions”