Programs that run in the terminal

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintyO

Programs that run in the terminal

Post by MintyO »

Reading Mint forums lately I've gotten more and more interested in programs that run in the terminal. Having just seen the classic "cowsay" in a topic (and have to admit checked and surprised that it is installed in mint by default) I have to ask: Is there any easy way to find out what command line programs are present in Mint? A list somewhere perhaps.

And if you use/know/etc. any good ones please feel free to mention those here. I don't know/use many although I've been using linux a while. I usually just install htop when doing a fresh install.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Programs that run in the terminal

Post by xenopeek »

There are about 2500 commands installed so that is an exercise without end. If you want a summary for each command, you can use the commands in this post to get it: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=103728#p587364. More useful is to help yourself become comfortable on the terminal and know how to find new commands and how to access their documentation. This gets you started with the command line and takes you through to more advanced topics: http://write.flossmanuals.net/command-l ... roduction/
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

Thanks for the reply and link for the manual, xenopeek! I've been looking for a way to learn more about doing things from the command line. It's just been GUI approach for so long for me (windows) and linux has come to the point that when I started using it I wasn't forced to do much otherwise. So I've been putting it of out of lazyness.

I know there are way too many commands to go through one by one. I guess I meant list of programs like top, cowsay, htop and lynx (what I know) of which first two come with Mint. Commands to move a file or resize an image would be on another category and likes of inxi somewhere in between... Sorry if this is vague, but I don't really know how to phrase it better. And if there's such a list I think it's something that someone has put together. Maybe in a format popular nowadays: "Top XX terminal window programs you must know about" :oops:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can start with the basic commands listed in the terminal using the command

Code: Select all

info ?
TIP: place the cursor on the underlined links and press ENTER
PAGE UP to return to the previous screen
q to quit
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

MintyO wrote: I guess I meant list of programs like top, cowsay, htop and lynx (what I know) of which first two come with Mint.
Rather than lists of commands to do who-knows-what (I'd never run cowsay or lynx), start with a task you're interested in and find the commands that deal with it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
freekvb

Post by freekvb »

Have a look at this blog:

https://inconsolation.wordpress.com/about/

have fun ! .. ;)
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

Flemur wrote:
MintyO wrote: I guess I meant list of programs like top, cowsay, htop and lynx (what I know) of which first two come with Mint.
Rather than lists of commands to do who-knows-what (I'd never run cowsay or lynx), start with a task you're interested in and find the commands that deal with it.
I can't imagine what's the real use for me, but I just had to install lynx and play around with it when I first found out about it. I wouldn't have come across it ever if I was just trying to get some task done. Most of my computer task are on the line of watching stuff on the internet.. not much good for that. :wink:
freekvb wrote:Have a look at this blog:

https://inconsolation.wordpress.com/about/

have fun ! .. ;)
Thanks! Now were cooking. 8)
freekvb

Post by freekvb »

Some CLI programs I always use and love:

vi(m) - editor
moc - musicplayer
rtorrent - torrentclient
sitecopy - maintaining remote web sites