Firefox Invalid Save Permission Error

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Qrathan

Firefox Invalid Save Permission Error

Post by Qrathan »

Hi! When I attempt to download anything from Firefox it says "Invalid Save Permission". It only downloads in Home. As I say when I try to download them to Desktop or Downloads file, It gives this error to me. How can I solve this? Sorry for my bad English by the way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grumpy_geek

Re: Firefox Invalid Save Permission Error

Post by grumpy_geek »

Could you please - as the user in question - issue the following command to a terminal and copy / paste / post the result:

Code: Select all

ls -l ~
Qrathan

Post by Qrathan »

grumpy_geek wrote:Could you please - as the user in question - issue the following command to a terminal and copy / paste / post the result:

ls -l ~

total 48
drwxrwxrwx 7 bora bora 4096 Dec 22 11:56 Bilim Olimpiyatlar??
drwxr-xr-x 5 bora bora 4096 Jan 28 18:29 Calibre Kitapl??????
drwxr-xr-x 5 bora bora 4096 Jan 28 10:27 Foto??raf-Resim-Video
drwxrwxrwx 5 bora bora 4096 Jan 13 18:58 Kitaplar
drwxrwxrwx 2 bora bora 4096 Nov 20 16:27 Ki??iler
drwxr-xr-x 2 bora bora 4096 Jan 28 13:33 Masa??st??
drwxr-xr-x 3 bora bora 4096 Jan 27 13:56 M??zik
drwxrwxrwx 4 bora bora 4096 Nov 20 16:26 OS ??majlar
drwxrwxrwx 2 bora bora 4096 Dec 22 12:04 Programlama
drwxrwxrwx 3 bora bora 4096 Jan  5 18:01 Uygulama
drwxrwxrwx 3 bora bora 4096 Dec 22 21:03 ??izgi Romanlar
drwxr-xr-x 2 bora bora 4096 Jan 27 20:35 ??ndirilenler
My files' names contains Turkish characters. Is issue about with it?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Are you using the Firejail program?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The output looks fine so far. But I have no idea, which of the entries is the Desktop folder and which is the Download folder. Please translate it.

A more intensive investigation:
Mark the following command and press ctrl-c

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command with the mouse and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.

Report in case, that there is no output.
Qrathan

Post by Qrathan »

Desktop is Masa??st??, Downloads are ??ndirilenler.
And that is the output:

find: ‘/home/bora/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This one line is the result of a bug in Mint, but nothing to worry about. So all seems to look fine.

What about the last question by austin.texas?
Qrathan

Post by Qrathan »

Cosmo. wrote:This one line is the result of a bug in Mint, but nothing to worry about. So all seems to look fine.

What about the last question by austin.texas?
I am not using Firejail.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Create a fresh new user account and test there.
In case, that the test account shows the same problem, change the language for the test account to English, then log out and back in. Does it resolve the issue.

Alternative: Change the language of the main account to English, log out and back in and check.
Qrathan

Post by Qrathan »

Cosmo. wrote:Create a fresh new user account and test there.
In case, that the test account shows the same problem, change the language for the test account to English, then log out and back in. Does it resolve the issue.

Alternative: Change the language of the main account to English, log out and back in and check.
I changed to English and it solved. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Well, I would call this a workaround, not a solution. But I admit, that I have no idea about Turkish (and many other) languages. My advice was meant as a step for investigation.

What I would like to know is: If you do the commands, where we see above the output with the list of folders and files, on your local system with Turkish language activated, do you also get those questions marks (I assume, that there should be some Turkish letters), or are the questions marks only displayed here in the forum?
grumpy_geek

Post by grumpy_geek »

Qrathan wrote:My files' names contains Turkish characters. Is issue about with it?
What happens if you set your (test) user's account to tr_TR.UTF-8 as locale ...?
Qrathan

Post by Qrathan »

Cosmo. wrote:Well, I would call this a workaround, not a solution. But I admit, that I have no idea about Turkish (and many other) languages. My advice was meant as a step for investigation.

What I would like to know is: If you do the commands, where we see above the output with the list of folders and files, on your local system with Turkish language activated, do you also get those questions marks (I assume, that there should be some Turkish letters), or are the questions marks only displayed here in the forum?
I also get those question marks in terminal too. Not only in here. :)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

That is (very most likely) the origin of the problem: The system cannot make sense out of the folder names and out of this cannot store anything inside them.

As said, I have no knowledge about such languages, but I am rather sure, that the folders should display files and folders without any question mark in any language.
Do have possibly removed some of the pre-installed fonts?
Qrathan

Post by Qrathan »

Cosmo. wrote:That is (very most likely) the origin of the problem: The system cannot make sense out of the folder names and out of this cannot store anything inside them.

As said, I have no knowledge about such languages, but I am rather sure, that the folders should display files and folders without any question mark in any language.
Do have possibly removed some of the pre-installed fonts?
No, I haven't but file names are normal in Home file or anywhere. There are question marks in console.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You might try to change the font in the profile settings of genome-terminal, but I admit that I have doubts if this will really give a solution.
Qrathan

Post by Qrathan »

Cosmo. wrote:You might try to change the font in the profile settings of genome-terminal, but I admit that I have doubts if this will really give a solution.
As I Said there is no problem now. Thanks for all.

Return to “Software & Applications”