Installing f.lux on LMDE2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jonnymopar

Installing f.lux on LMDE2

Post by jonnymopar »

Hi all,

Has anybody tried using f.lux with LMDE/LMDE2? I know there's a native Linux version, but all of the installation guides I see talk about PPAs. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Installing f.lux on LMDE2

Post by xenopeek »

Redshift is in the repositories, which I take it does the same thing. Or do you actually need f.lux because it does something Redshift doesn't?

For f.lux it appears you will have to install it manually as per their instructions: https://github.com/xflux-gui/xflux-gui. Of course you can try just downloaded the .deb file from the PPA and see if you can install it anyway on LMDE 2.
jonnymopar

Post by jonnymopar »

Interesting reading about Redshift. I'll have to try it. I was mainly looking for f.lux because it's working great on my Windows box. It's claim to fame is the fact that it subtracts blue light instead of just pouring on extra red. I've tried other ones that just added a ton of red and it looked pretty bad. Black areas appear a reddish-brown, where with f.lux, black and other darker colors appear to remain unchanged.

If Redshift can provide the same results as f.lux, then maybe I'll use that instead. Hopefully I'll have time tonight to try both.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Looking at the configuration example for Redshift at its homepage http://jonls.dk/redshift/ I think it can? You can set the color temperature but you can also set the gamma for each color channel independently.
jonnymopar

Post by jonnymopar »

For some reason, I can't get Redshift to work. I tried installing it straight out of the repositories for both LMDE2 and Debian Gnome Jessie (same PC). Both give me the same result: when I try to run it, I get a busy mouse cursor for about 10 seconds... and that's it.

I followed the instructions you linked to for f.lux and they worked like a charm. I guess it's f.lux for this machine.
Erathiel

Post by Erathiel »

Have you tried running Redshift from the terminal? It may give you some interesting debugging info.

I've been using Redshift on LMDE2 for several months now and I cannot recommend it enough. You can set it up with your desired colour temperature and brightness for day and night-time, as well as with your geographical location (set either automatically or manually), so it adjusts itself to daylight shifts. Brilliant.

Return to “LMDE Archive”