MX Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

MX Linux

Post by Lucap »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_Linux

Starting to see MX Linux mentioned a lot , Anyone had a play?

Fairly new , only a couple of years old.

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: MX Linux

Post by chrisuk »

I've been using it on a few older machines (1 laptop - 1 desktop) for a while now... it's responsive, stable, and easy to use/configure. There's a few custom MX Tools that make life easier for any new users too. Also a good forum.

There's not really much stopping me replacing Mint with it, but Mint MATE is still my main OS on my newer machines. Give it a try... I doubt you'll regret it.
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

Faust
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Faust »

I'm running MX live on a USB drive right now .

It originates from AntiX but comes with a good selection of stuff bundled in .

Great for older , lower-spec machines !!
Enjoy !
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I installed it on an older laptop for a friend more than a year ago, and told him if he had any problems or questions to give me a call. Still waiting for that phone call. I have a look at their forums now and then; looks like a pretty good bunch of people. They are really good about adding requested programs to their repo. If Mint didn't exist, MX would be high on my list of possibilities for a new "daily driver."

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

MX is a powerful, robust distro built on a very solid Debian base. I use it regularly for its snappiness and its plain old common sense. It's a pleasure to work with. The install is incredibly fast. The overall layout is obviously made with the practical user in mind. Their system backup is a breeze. I think MX is one of the best!
I don't plan on giving up Mint, but if they ever change their current philosophy of design excellence, MX is the distro I keep in store....in case.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

I installed mx16 last night on a spare drive to see what all the commotion was about. For an XFCE distro, it looks pretty darn sharp. I like the layout of their software manager, just be darned if I have figured out how to uninstall these packages yet. For some reason its version of vlc would not play my .mkv files like my beloved mint does. Even with updated codecs it still would not play them correctly. this is a deal breaker for me. The only omg feature that is a must have is the default iso remix tool.

The mx usb tools do work as advertised. Being debian based... I wonder if a user could add these to LMDE? A tool like that is something I desire. I use SSD's and my mobo has gobs of ram. Having the ISO on the ssd and load to a ram drive on boot would be an amazing thing for drive longevity. The drive would only be written when the iso is repackaged. hmm sata to usb converter cable....
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

Did any of you try the parent OS antiX and MEPIS before using MX Linux , I wondered if they were worth trying out or if too jump straight to MX Linux?

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

OK, just had a quick play and it's a really nice OS apart from some of the layout is cack-handed , the menu box contents to the left of the menu tree annoys the crap out of me.

@Citizen229

MKV played here but i've never been impressed with the quality of the output of VLC , always looks abit rough to me.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

The very first thing you should do if you're thinking about trying a different distro ... or even a complex bit of app software ... IMO is to ckeck out their support forum. Because in Linux you're gonna need it. So I looked at theirs.

And it doesn't look bad. I'm going to try it on my netbook soon.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

move categories to the left side

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1721

Not tried it yet but mint has a guide for correcting the XFCE menu.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Lucap wrote:move categories to the left side

I wouldn't try it for 2 reasons. First, I won't use untested software from a ppa for DE related things. I barely use them for app software. Second, it says only for up to 17.3. If it was any damn good it should have been updated by now. Honestly, that site has the worst tutorials ever.

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk »

Lucap wrote:move categories to the left side

I don't understand, why do you need a tutorial? Just right click the menu and change the settings... it's XFCE, most things are configurable ;)

Oh, here's my Whisker Menu on MX LInux 16 - categories on the left:
Screenshot.jpeg
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

Me personally I like to keep my OS slim and trim. The very first thing, a major factor, is if I can intuitively figure out how uninstall software. Mint makes it easy with an uninstall button. But some of these OS dont even give you an option. MX is a good example of this. There is no uninstall in their software manager. Why run a light and fast xfce desktop just to bloat the crap out of it with software you will almost never use?

As far as checking out the forums first as stated by hoser. I dont think that should happen. If I have to use a forum to be able to use a particular OS, it is not user oriented enough. Or in the very least just not complete enough to be a publishable item. 18.X KDE went into the dumpster very quickly for me on that one. Usually if something is not obvious right away, you come across it exploring for something else. Now there are times a forum will need opened. Like with the UEFI crap. That can get trick for the new users. Heck even this not so new user has a laptop that wont install properly to a ssd. I put xfce on the wife laptop and she has never seen the forums She has only had 2 questions in the last year of her using Mint.

The OS that really does impress me for ease of use is Manjaro. It could very well be on par with Mint. The whole rolling release just adds a layer of potential issues that makes me never really make it an equal to Mint. But like I said it sure is close.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

Hoser Rob wrote:The very first thing you should do if you're thinking about trying a different distro ... or even a complex bit of app software ... IMO is to ckeck out their support forum. Because in Linux you're gonna need it.
Though not always that easy to gauge as i initially thought PuppyLinux forum was a nice place until i witnessed appalling abhorrent behaviour towards one of their regulars that is in his 70's and a newbie with learning difficulties.

Hoser Rob wrote:I wouldn't try it for 2 reasons. First, I won't use untested software from a ppa for DE related things. I barely use them for app software. Second, it says only for up to 17.3. If it was any damn good it should have been updated by now. Honestly, that site has the worst tutorials ever.
It turns out you don't need to install those old plugins , just follow the pictures of what boxes to tick on menu settings and it will shift everything about.

You would have thought that XFCE would have made it more obvious with a flip or reverse name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1agIcUA5SVw

I switched to the classic menu with the above guide..........

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

antiX MX-16 "Metamorphosis is an excellent distro with lots of cool software already installed and works well for my use without problems.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

Lucap wrote:Did any of you try the parent OS antiX and MEPIS before using MX Linux , I wondered if they were worth trying out or if too jump straight to MX Linux?

YEP - - been using Mepis since it's v3.0 & antiX, for several years, now.
the MX project was started, because the original Mepis Project Manager, had serious work commitments.

This is where the LinuxMint Project - does support it's Project Manager, in a much better manner.
( yes - - I'd had contributed to that project, an amount of $$$ )

and I've just upgraded my MX laptop to MX16,
- using the 'newly available' update manager.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

I didn't have much luck with the snapshot tool , the ISO just boots to a black screen so i've given up for now as i have so many distro's to try.

Maybe i'll try again in the future.

jhsu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jhsu »

MX Linux is my main distro. I regard it as the unofficial Linux Mint Debian Edition. The Xfce desktop provides a very polished look and feel that reminds me of Linux Mint. The Debian stable base is solid, and bypassing the Ubuntu overhead makes MX Linux much faster and lighter than Linux Mint and other Ubuntu-based distros. MX Linux also gets much more attention from its developers than LMDE does. (To be fair, the Linux Mint team has its hands full with the much more popular Ubuntu-based editions and with the MATE and Cinnamon DEs that are used by numerous other distros, including top "competitors".)

MX Linux comes from the antiX Linux team and the former MEPIS Linux team. In a world where many distros have come and gone (such as Crunchbang Linux, Snowlinux, Pear OS, and Dreamlinux), it's great to see that the people on the MX Linux team has tenacity. antiX Linux has been around nearly as long as Linux Mint, and MEPIS Linux began in 2003.

jhsu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jhsu »

I like MX Linux so much that it's hard to think of any major ways it can be improved. I decided to reboot my Linux distro Swift Linux (http://www.swiftlinux.org) as MX Linux with different wallpaper. (In other words, I'm following the Hannah Montana Linux playbook.) I now understand how much work goes into making a Linux distro, and there's no way I can realistically provide everything that MX Linux does (like driver support) PLUS add significant additional improvements. There's a reason the number of currently active distros is in the hundreds and not hundreds of thousands. There's a reason that many top distros from 5-10 years ago are now defunct even though they never jumped the shark or made controversial changes that alienated much of the user base.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

chrisuk wrote: Just right click the menu and change the settings... it's XFCE, most things are configurable ;)

Oh, here's my Whisker Menu on MX LInux 16 - categories on the left:
Yes! Thank you. I just installed MX16 on a crappy and slow old laptop and the menu bothered me for a reason that I did not really understand; it was just the wrong way around! All fixed now.
I must say, if you don't get scared by getting a face full of terminal now and then (I don't anymore, but a year ago... well, let's just say that that was a different matter) it's a very nice distro, great for older hardware!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”