automatic updates?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cicero86

automatic updates?

Post by Cicero86 »

Hi, Can I make my linux mint auto-update itself.

I mean like for example; set it to auto-update itself for update levels 1,2, and 3 only.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: automatic updates?

Post by Cosmo. »

No, out of a good reason described here.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

In short: don't do it, because you don't want an automatic update with a regression flaw to interrupt an important job you're doing.

You should always update manually, so that you can be sure that no work flow is endangered. And, no less importantly, so that you can act rightaway if a regression bug should hit you (like applying a temporary workaround until that bug is fixed in a new update).

*Serious* regressions are rare; so rare even, that for example Ubuntu has set all security updates to automatic by default. But Mint is a bit more careful, which I think is a good thing.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Cicero86 wrote:Hi, Can I make my linux mint auto-update itself. I mean like for example; set it to auto-update itself for update levels 1,2, and 3 only.
I do not recommend doing so. Yet, it can be done. Actually only sort of.
Cf. xenopeek's tutorial here, please: Setting up automatic upgrades with unattended-upgrades
Read to the end, please, where you will find the sentence that only Mint Update Manager will honour its own safety levels, "apt-get upgrade" will not do so.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

Cosmo. wrote:No, out of a good reason described here.
Thanks a lot! :) I read it all. It's very useful. :)
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

Pjotr wrote:In short: don't do it, because you don't want an automatic update with a regression flaw to interrupt an important job you're doing.

You should always update manually, so that you can be sure that no work flow is endangered. And, no less importantly, so that you can act rightaway if a regression bug should hit you (like applying a temporary workaround until that bug is fixed in a new update).

*Serious* regressions are rare; so rare even, that for example Ubuntu has set all security updates to automatic by default. But Mint is a bit more careful, which I think is a good thing.
I agree with you about this being a good thing. :) Better safe than sorry :)
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

karlchen wrote:
Cicero86 wrote:Hi, Can I make my linux mint auto-update itself. I mean like for example; set it to auto-update itself for update levels 1,2, and 3 only.
I do not recommend doing so. Yet, it can be done. Actually only sort of.
Cf. xenopeek's tutorial here, please: Setting up automatic upgrades with unattended-upgrades
Read to the end, please, where you will find the sentence that only Mint Update Manager will honour its own safety levels, "apt-get upgrade" will not do so.
Thank you Karichen for the post :)

It was really a good idea to take a look at the updating process :)
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

It's really kind of a bummer that you can't set it to do automatic updates. I understand they want to put the choice, information, and responsibility into the user's hands, but, I'd like another choice that I would be responsible for, and that's the choice to have it automatically update. (probably just level 1's and 2's). I'm mostly doing that anyway by blindly accepting and installing the updates whenever the shield icon checkmark goes away. The only difference between that and automatic updates is some extra clicking I keep having to do. I think a lot of users would be lying if they didn't admit that that's all they do too.

The problem with not having automatic updates as a choice is it's one of the barriers to getting friends and family to use Mint. I'm talking grandmas and other assorted noobs. It means they aren't going to do any updates. As a slightly knowledgeable user, I feel like automatically updating 1's and 2's would be better than doing no updates, so I wish I had that choice. I hope Mint adds this option some day, because I would like to spread Mint to non-techies. (btw, I think that it's insanely lazy and ridiculous for some people to not be capable or willing to do manual operations like this, but, that's the reality)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

polarvortex wrote:It means they aren't going to do any updates.
For my lazy and irresponsible family members, I've solved it like this:

Mate:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -prominent
(item 3.9, right column)

Cinnamon:
(item 3.8, right column)

Xfce:
(item 3.11, right column)

Even my children do the updates now. Grumbling, but finally (finally) it gets done. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Software & Applications”