Scanner utility - Solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jungle
Level 3
Level 3

Scanner utility - Solved

Post by jungle »

Hi there

I am brand new to Linux. Had only used Windows previously. A point, drag and click person I guess. Late last year decided to explore Linux. My son suggested Linux Ubuntu or Mint. Decided to go with Linux Mint Elyssa but was very cautious and purchased a second hard drive and put it in. Learned about system and data backups and partitioning and loaded Elyssa on the new hard drive to give me a dual boot system (just before Felicia came out). Very impressed with the set-up and the functionality and now find I never load XP! Have since moved on to Felicia and it is just great. Next version of Mint I am going to go with the 64 bit version.

I do have one query. I have a Brother DCP - 115C scanner copier which Felicia links to just fine for printing. However, when I click on the scanner utility it does not find or see the scanner. Advice on how to to use the onscreen utility in Felicia to initiate scans if this is possible with this particular hardware would be much appreciated.

regards

Jungle
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Scanner utility

Post by Udi »

I don't have your scanner so I don't know the answer. However, I searched for the problem and I think you may find this link helpful:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... +bug/72321

So it appears that Brother support scanning on Linux - and maybe you can actually contact their tech support if the instructions you find on the web don't work for you? Lucky you!
jungle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jungle »

Thanks for this Udi and Ozz. I will have a go these fixes this evening after work.
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

Xsane works perfectly for me (HP C5280).
jungle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jungle »

Belated thankyou to everyone for your help with this. I eventually managed to get my Brother scanner functioning fine with some help from the Brother people in Japan who were very helpful. I did have to learn how to use the terminal so that I could communicate with them and get responses which enable me o see what needed to be done to get it sorted. I did have to change the udev rules as someone indicated.

Return to “Beginner Questions”