Software to watch Plex videos?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
polarvortex

Software to watch Plex videos?

Post by polarvortex »

How do you watch videos from plex media server on linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Software to watch Plex videos?

Post by MintBean »

https://www.wondershare.com/vlc/play-dl ... g-vlc.html

There's also a plugin for Xplayer (Media Player).
pfd27

Post by pfd27 »

I just use my browser.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

Do you have to install the entire plex media server just to get the web plugin?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

polarvortex wrote:Do you have to install the entire plex media server just to get the web plugin?
You already have a plex server?

He said "there's also" so the plugin is the second thing he offered?
Try VLC I believe it what they wanted to lead you toward.
I could be wrong.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

Habitual wrote:
polarvortex wrote:Do you have to install the entire plex media server just to get the web plugin?
You already have a plex server?

He said "there's also" so the plugin is the second thing he offered?
Sorry, I was referring to what pfd27 said, not MintBean. What I didn't mention, but what I now know and what pfd27 must know, is that to just use your browser must mean you have the plex web plugin installed, and I'm asking pfd27 if you can install the plex web plugin without installing the entire plex media server (because all I could find online about it made it sound like you had to install the entire thing to get it).

The plex media server is on a different machine, a sever machine. I want a client pc with mint on it to be able to view videos from the plex server, not to be another plex server. There's a decent chance pfd27 knows the answer to this since he may be doing that exact thing.

I will try VLC but maybe the web thing is better.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

I'll just butt out now.
Good luck!

Found this
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articl ... ex-Web-App
and it says

Type http://[Plex Media Server IP Address]:32400/web (e.g. http://192.168.1.25:32400/web)
The browser will connect to the Plex Media Server and load Plex Web App
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

OH. I incorrectly thought there was a browser plugin or something. Ok thanks, now I get it.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

You're welcome!
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

polarvortex wrote:OH. I incorrectly thought there was a browser plugin or something. Ok thanks, now I get it.
There is a "Plex Home Theater" (recently renamed to "Plex Media Player") which can be used, but it's not necessary. They don't have a Linux version, and it only works with your own server from within your own network. (ie - within your own house only) I've found that using the web interface is quite sufficient, and since it also allows viewing anywhere you have internet and viewing of friends' server content, I see no reason to have the separate player.
pfd27

Post by pfd27 »

Sorry I didn't check back in sooner. I assume you go it working.
I should have posted the http://192.168.1**1:32400/web/ solution
Ben2talk2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ben2talk2 »

ralplpcr wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:30 am
polarvortex wrote:OH. I incorrectly thought there was a browser plugin or something. Ok thanks, now I get it.
There is a "Plex Home Theater" (recently renamed to "Plex Media Player") which can be used, but it's not necessary. They don't have a Linux version, and it only works with your own server from within your own network. (ie - within your own house only) I've found that using the web interface is quite sufficient, and since it also allows viewing anywhere you have internet and viewing of friends' server content, I see no reason to have the separate player.
Linux won't pass through audio through the browser. You can only get DTS or ac3 out if you're using a media player. MPV works very well as a simple player, but OpenPHT (NOT recently renamed to Plex Media Player) is a replacement for he defunct Plex Home Theater.

Plex Home Theater is basically similar to the web interface - the same as the TV apps - enabling the audio.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Ben2talk2 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:05 pm Linux won't pass through audio through the browser. You can only get DTS or ac3 out if you're using a media player.
I don't have any issue accessing media with AAC audio in h264 containers audio using PlexWeb via Linux Chrome - I don't think I've got any other format to test. My music collection in MP3 is also on the server and streams fine to the browser. In theory the server should transcode content to meet the players limitations should there be any.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

Ben2talk2 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:05 pm Linux won't pass through audio through the browser. You can only get DTS or ac3 out if you're using a media player. MPV works very well as a simple player, but OpenPHT (NOT recently renamed to Plex Media Player) is a replacement for he defunct Plex Home Theater.

Plex Home Theater is basically similar to the web interface - the same as the TV apps - enabling the audio.
Not sure what you mean? I've had a Plex server running on Linux for a few years, and it does a terrific job of passing audio through the browser - - both onto Windows & Linux machines, as well as Android devices? That's part of it's job - to transcode the content into something that works on the target system.

For reference, I wasn't saying that OpenPHT was recently renamed. I was referring to the Plex Home Theater, that was renamed to Plex Media Player in October 2015: https://www.plex.tv/blog/introducing-th ... ia-player/ As mentioned, they do not have a Linux version.... but you can use the OpenPHT at least on *some* versions of Mint. I've seen it on "Trusty" (Mint 17 series) & "Xenial" (Mint 18 series), but can't be sure about the "Bionic" (Mint 19 series) yet. I've stopped caring, since the web interface does all I need and a separate client that by nature is more restricted then the web and a pain to install just seems like overkill. :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”