Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
petrasr
Level 1
Level 1

malfunction with VPN client, default gateway hosed

Post by petrasr »

Ran out of time on my VPN service and was trying to add time to my VPN client. Guess I pushed the wrong button. The script opened a browser but it would not connect to the company website. It would not connect to any website. At that point, I exited the browser and restarted Firefox. No connection to any website. I rebooted but still no connection to any website.

Route -n reveals:

Code: Select all

mybox@mybox1 ~ $ route -n

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.254   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 enp4s0
159.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 enp4s0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     100    0        0 enp4s0

I don't know a lot but is 159.254.0.0 the address the gateway should be pointing to? How do I reinstall my default route?

txba516
Level 3
Level 3

Re: malfunction with VPN client, default gateway hosed

Post by txba516 »

Hi petrasr,

The 159.254.0.0 line is simply identifying a second local network attached to your network interface. Your default gateway appears to be intact as 192.168.1.254. You can tell it is the default gateway since the Flags section has a G assigned to that line. Also, general routing rules follow that the 0.0.0.0 destination is how a route table targets all traffic that is intended for a network you do not have specifically defined in your route table (such as the two subnets below it).
By the way, that 159.254.0.0 network is a public IP range (assigned to Rothmans International Tobacco Company) and is not a typical network you would have direct connectivity to over the same interface as the internal network (192.168.1.0). Are you certain that you should be connected to that subnet directly?

Cheers!
LM17.2 x64 Cinnamon
Help the forums get answers faster! Mark your fixed problem thread as [SOLVED]

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

delete all your connections in network manager and reboot

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "petrasr",

I think all you have to do is click the Network Manager icon, and "Disconnect" from any VPN connection (not delete them all??), refresh or restart your browser(s), and you should be okay. If not, then restart your computer. If you have set automatically connect to VPN on your local ISP connection, then disable that first (uncheck it) and apply/okay, before restarting.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

petrasr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by petrasr »

txba516 wrote:Hi petrasr,

The 159.254.0.0 line is simply identifying a second local network attached to your network interface. Your default gateway appears to be intact as 192.168.1.254. You can tell it is the default gateway since the Flags section has a G assigned to that line. Also, general routing rules follow that the 0.0.0.0 destination is how a route table targets all traffic that is intended for a network you do not have specifically defined in your route table (such as the two subnets below it).
By the way, that 159.254.0.0 network is a public IP range (assigned to Rothmans International Tobacco Company) and is not a typical network you would have direct connectivity to over the same interface as the internal network (192.168.1.0). Are you certain that you should be connected to that subnet directly?

Cheers!

All identifiying info was scrubbed in the post including the real IP, machine name and user name. Thanks for the info.

petrasr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by petrasr »

phd21 wrote:Hi "petrasr",

I think all you have to do is click the Network Manager icon, and "Disconnect" from any VPN connection (not delete them all??), refresh or restart your browser(s), and you should be okay. If not, then restart your computer. If you have set automatically connect to VPN on your local ISP connection, then disable that first (uncheck it) and apply/okay, before restarting.

Hope this helps ...

The VPN has its own client that I download and use (Muillvad). The vpn does not show up in the vpn section of the network manager. Under "connection information" the interface is listed as tun0 (tunnel 0?).

I'll try deleting the active ethernet connection and reboot. Thanks for the help.

petrasr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by petrasr »

trytip wrote:delete all your connections in network manager and reboot

Deleted all ethernet connections and rebooted. No internet connection on restart. Launched the VPN client and just-like-magic, I have connectivity again.

I've broken something, somehow. :-(

Any other thoughts of things to try?

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

what does your etc/hosts say?
when you rightclick on the network tray/connection information?

Return to “Ethernet”