Finally hit road block scraptop...

Chat about just about anything else
Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Finally hit road block scraptop...

Post by Tomgin5 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:14 pm

I stumbled onto a very pretty scraptop today with a missing hard drive. A Dell D410. I tried my LM17.3 Cinnamon 64 live drive and it would not boot. this is a sure indication it is a 32 bit system. The laptop had an intel Centrino on it so I tried an LM 18.1 Cinnamon 32 live drive. It booted up in about 30 seconds. I checked the WIFI, it worked. The speakers worked. I liked the 4 USB plugs available. The wired internet worked. The lithium HD battery was good and charging nicely The recycle shop was out of 2-1/2 inch SATA drives but had some small SSD's. I bought a 64 GIG for $25. I slipped it in but the end cap that normally goes on the end of the hard drive was missing.
I slipped in the SSD anyway and booted it up with the live flash drive. It booted but it did not see the SSD.
Dummy Me! The plug inside was not a SATA plug. It is an oddball straight single row IDE type plug.
I scrapped the whole laptop. Kept the 2GIG RAM, battery, display, keyboard and SSD. They are all usable on other scraptops.
Lesson learned! LOOK AT THE DARNED PLUG FOR THE HARD DRIVE!

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Finally hit road block scraptop...

Post by Citizen229 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:00 am

If it was an IDE plug the SSd never would have inserted into the socket. SSD is actually 2 plugs that look like 1 on laptops. The small port is data and the long is power.

IDE
http://www.pctechguide.com/wp-content/u ... /ides1.jpg

SATA
http://www.conrad.com/medias/global/ce/ ... S_1000.jpg

IDE is not oddball, its old school :P
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Finally hit road block scraptop...

Post by JohnBobSmith » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:29 am

"scraptop" haha.... nice.

Could you use an external HDD/SSD exclusively then if you're sure the internal jacks are incorrect/busted? Might be slow, unless its USB 3.0, or quite possibly even FireWire, but I doubt the possibilities of both existing on your scraptop.* Otherwise saving these sorts of things for parts is a great idea. I did it with my sisters laptop, which was identical to mine. After her laptop got completely busted (monitor snapped in half internally among other things) I kept the RAM, the wifi card, and the HDD I'm going to give Mint another go on once I fix my download. :D

*that term, scraptop, makes me giggle profusely on the inside. Thanks for the laugh :)
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

Return to “Open chat”