Do you use LibreOffice?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Do you use LibreOffice?

Yes
82%
No
8%
Rarely
10%
Don't care
1%

Total votes: 133

linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Do you use LibreOffice?

Post by linux-dummie »

Started using Linux and OO in 2010. Since then, I've never needed to revert to MS for anything office-related. I use LO in Mint 17.2 now, with no complaints. Then again, I don't do overly complicated formatting, rarely open .doc files, and have simple spreadsheet needs. Printing from LO is supremely easy. I tried abiword back in the day but found OO much more reliable and easier overall. Gnumeric works fine for spreadsheets also, its advantage being light weight. But LO does all I need.
Thaeri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thaeri »

I voted "yes", it's the office suite I use when I need one and I would most likely have installed it even if it weren't there in Mint from the beginning.

In reality I only use it a few times a year, but the frequency doesn't really matter since having access to at the very least a word processor and a spreadsheet program those few times is very much essential, hence the "yes" rather than "rarely".

Sure, you get much more than that with LibreOffice, but it's not like it takes up a huge amount of space anyway, and a nice thing about office suites is that if you know one of the programs it's pretty easy to learn to find your way around the others even though they are for completely different purposes. Also, I've volunteered for a couple of things where Impress and Math respectively came in handy, so even if I could do without them, they're quite nice to have.

I do have Microsoft Office installed in Windows just in case someone sends me a file that won't work properly in LibreOffice. I don't think I've actually used it since I made the switch from Windows to Linux for may main operating system about ten years ago though, not on any computer I've owned.
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

Yup. Pretty much daily.

Along I do keep my office 365 subscription so I can use their online version of the Microsoft suite when I really need files in that format.

Of course, in a few months I'll have to do something other than basic word processing and spreadsheets in libre and try to construct a slide show (semi-complex) for a talk I'll do in the spring that I've always done in powerpoint. So we'll see how that goes. :wink:
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I switched to OpenOffice years ago, along with GIMP, when I still used Windows. This certainly made the transition to 100% open-source easier although it wasn't exactly difficult anyway. When I first installed Mint I also installed OO & removed LO, but when I changed to 64-bit on that machine about a month later I kept LO and didn't bother with OO. My other machines only have LibreOffice and I do use it sometimes, it does everything I need it to.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Considering the amount of people you see on Linux forums asking how to remove LibreOffice i expected the "No" vote to be slightly higher.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Lucap wrote:Considering the amount of people you see on Linux forums asking how to remove LibreOffice i expected the "No" vote to be slightly higher.
You can't make such kind of statistics. You only see the persons who remove LO. You don't see the vast majority who keeps it.
As in a lot of other situations, a small group can make a lot of noise. It doesn't make them a majority.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

As said "i expected the "No" vote to be slightly higher." , i never said the majority.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can't expect anything from a poll with 72 votes :wink: The sample size is too small to draw any conclusions from.
stonesfan99

Post by stonesfan99 »

I have used it for typing papers for school. If you install the Microsoft core fonts from the software manager, every bit as good as Microsoft Word.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Voted "yes", I do use Libre Office. Mostly for my private documents.

Yet, I frequently need to exchange Word and Excel documents with genuine and die-hard Microsoft Office users, where we will work on the same documents in turns. For such work I resort to SoftMaker Office for Linux, i.e. TextMaker and PlanMaker. They are not open-source, and they cost money. But because the Word and Excel documents which they create are 99% compatible with what Word and Excel create themselves, they have made my office life a lot easier and proven to be worth their money. :)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I voted yes!
I started with Xerox Star, then a very early Windex word processor ( PCwrite) and Word perfect, then Open Source then Apache group. I had a little Windex office sprinkled in with various jobs. then LibreOffice last March when I dumped the XP and shifted to full time LM Cinnamon. Since then I have converted many friends to LibreOffice running in Windex. I also switched them over to PaleMoon from IE. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tomgin5 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Tried the Experimental Muffin UI on my Windows machine, and I'm definitely staying with the One-line Toolbar + Sidebar. I already know what kind of UI I wanted with this, because a second toolbar is redundant for me since I have the sidebar.

And I specifically love the "Page Settings" tab. I've been longing such a feature once the Sidebar made its debut. I can set what page size, and orientation on the fly with this one.
asdfasdfasdf.png
EmeraldSwords

Post by EmeraldSwords »

I'd rather use google docs.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I finally switched to LibreOffice because back in earlier 2016 I was seeing in Tech pages we might loose OpenOffice because of the lack of developers.
Anyway, about a month ago I switched last PC because OpenOffice would not update.

L
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I trade (sadly) in MS Office documents for work all the time. I use Calc most of the time, and every once in a while, I also use Writer.

The only issue is when there's some crazy MS Word formatting going on, and of course it doesn't render quite right in anything else.

Other than that, nobody is any the wiser.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I started with StarOffice, then open office suites including Apachi. I also have used Open office suites and Libre office in Windex for at least 20 years. I used PCwrite for about 12 years.
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

I like it, even though it was somewhat of an adjustment coming from MS Word. I had to get used to different fonts and other small changes but I have found nothing to drastic that I can't live with out. I can probably find some of the fonts I like in MS Word and download them if I want to. However I have got used to using LO as it is and I have never got around to doing that or ever really figuring out how. :oops:
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Apparently, LibreOffice's latest version 5.3 was already released.
How do I upgrade this version I have in Mint? But I'm in no rush. I'll soon find out.

So how do you guys find the LibreOffice's version of the MS Ribbon?
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

There are .deb files for this (testing or beta?) and the 5.2.6 (stable) versions on http://www.libreoffice.org :) just download the appropriate version for your hardware (x86 or x64) and click the .deb file to launch the installer. I didn't see a PPA but there probably is one, if you want to go down that route. Note, I use the version in the repos and haven't tested the new version yet.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

BG405 wrote:There are .deb files for this (testing or beta?) and the 5.2.6 (stable) versions on http://www.libreoffice.org :) just download the appropriate version for your hardware (x86 or x64) and click the .deb file to launch the installer. I didn't see a PPA but there probably is one, if you want to go down that route. Note, I use the version in the repos and haven't tested the new version yet.
I was just curious about LibreOffice's version of the MS Ribbon. I couldn't find it in this 5.3 version. Looks like it didn't make it. I wonder if it's the same in the Win10 version. Anyways, nothing to rush about. Thanks.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”